Buying an airline seat for 5 month old?

BelleNJ

Finally a Floridian!!!
Just looking for some input on buying our DD her own seat. We are flying from Philadelphia to Orlando which is about two hours. DD prefers to be held whenever we are out to dinner or cruising the mall. I just don't know what to do. I can get a ticket for half price. My other option is to use my miles and upgrade to First Class. Any thoughts?
Also, my flight options right now are 7am or 1:40pm...which would you pick?

I would buy the seat. She may prefer to be held, but that can potentially be dangerous. You'll want her in the seat at least for take-off and landing, and if the pilot mentions that you're about to hit turbulance. Besides, if your flight is delayed and you've held her for a while in the terminal, she may appreciate the chance to lie down in her familiar carseat and get a nap.

I'm with you, Kermit. We have always purchased a seat for both of our girls, no matter what the age. It's a serious pain to carry the carseat in the airport, but a lifesaver if they are tired as you noted and it's the safest place to be for your little one on the plane. Good luck with your trip.

I say the 7:00 flight, you will have to get up really early, but will get there sooner, be able to enjoy more of your first day. I you are checking in at a resort you will get a better room if you are earlier. We always fly the 7:00 and are in our room by noon almost every trip. (2 hours from Detroit too!) This way you can have a nice relaxing nap time in the room too when you get there.

When we flew in Dec 2001 with our then 8 month old we did not buy her a ticket and checked her car seat. She hates the car seat anyway and pefers to be held. She was much more comforable that way. Also when you are flying with an infant it is best to nurse on the way up and down to help with ear presure, kinda hard to do in a car seat :D , (with my DD it also put her right to sleep for most of the trip, thank you God.)

Our flight was not full and they gave us a seat for her anyway. If you are concerned that you flight might be full you may want to consider getting her a ticket.

We are flying again in March, DD will be 23 months old. Having the same debate ourselves, but are leaning towards taking advantge of the last time she can fly for free. We don't plan on bringing our car seat, but using the one Tiffany provides anyway and all WDW transportation while there.

I would also buy the seat, especially since it is half price. We took DD when she was 14 months on her first flight and ended up holding her the whole time we were in the air, but for take off and landing I liked that we had her in her seat. We also then had her car seat for the rental, a nice plus. I think the extra seat will give you more room too for all the baby stuff!

Now I personally would do the 1:40 flight for several reasons. One is that I think you'll have a better shot of baby sleeping during the flight. At 7:00 am baby will probably be totally awake. I also like having that extra time in the morning to make sure we have everything packed and give us time to do all those last minute baby preparing things - such as filling cups, bottles, snacks etc. Just my opinion.

Have a great trip!
Gi

If you wouldn't hold your baby in your lap while riding in a car (and I assume you wouldn't) then why do it in an airplane at 30,000 feet? We bought a seat for our DS when he was 15 mo & the only time we took him out of his was to change his diaper. It is a much safer place to be. Turbulence can strike at any time...we have personally experienced a few hairy minutes on a flight even though there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Plane dropped altitude quickly & without warning. Bags flew out of overhead bins & people who were out of their seats were thrown around a bit. I would have hated to have been trying to hold onto a baby during that. We always bring along plenty of activities & snacks & have never had a problem keeping ou DS in his seat. Hope you have a great trip!

I have to agree, about buying a ticket. They do not allow you to wear infant front carriers on planes either. They are very strict about it. Also remember, eating and drinking, not to mention changing a diaper can be quite tricky without that extra seat. You may try to call a few weeks ahead to see if the plane is over half full. If not, you'll most likely get one for free. An attendant once told me they'll give any opportunity for a seat to a baby, as statistics show no baby has ever survived a crash outside of a car seat!!
I you go to "one step ahead", "right start", or "baby Abby", they now have an FAA approved lap vest for infants and toddlers for cruising level only. I considering getting it for nursing my 3 mth old during the flight.
Hope this helps,
Carolyn

Buy the seat. It's a safety issue more than anything. And as the previous posters have pointed out, turbulence can come at any time and your baby will be safer in the her own seat.

I agree...buy the seat. It is so much easier and so much safer.

If you don't buy the seat, bring your car seat to the gate anyway. They will really do whatever they can to give you an extra seat. If they can't, then you can gate check the car seat.

Personally, I would pick the 1:40 flight. With a 7:00am flight, you have to be up and ready to go so early even without little ones to wake, dress, feed, prepare to go. You won't get there as soon, but you'll also be more rested and enjoy that night and the next day more.

I never bought a seat for my DD when she was under 2. Instead, I bought a thing called a Baby B'Air (http://www.babybair.com/) which is a harness/vest that fits on the child with a short "leash" with a loop that your seat belt goes through. It keeps the child from being thrown out of your arms during turbulance. It is not supposed to be for use during take off and landings, but I used it anyway. It is almost identical to the seat belt that was lent to be during my Brittish Airways flight to/from London when my DD was 4 months old. Also, the "leash" is long enough for your child to cuddle and nurse.

Another option is to carry your car seat with you in case there is an open seat that you can strap it into. I did that many times and only had to gate-check the car seat once or twice. I have a car seat bag and I put it on a regular luggage cart to make it easier to get through the airport.

One more thing ... don't forget to bring your own stroller and gate-check it instead of checking it with your other luggage!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter