Bus transportation observation

robl45

DIS Veteran
I noticed this trip and I guess I've noticed it before, but if you plan to take the bus you are really better off staying at a value or maybe a moderate. Most of the deluxe share buses and that means increased travel time. If someone pays double the price, they should get at least the same bus service? We've been staying in deluxe recently as the kids like to swim otherwise I'm probably going back to value for future trips especially if we aren't swimming. That extra time stopping at two resorts instead of just getting to where you need to be really adds up.

Especially evident when you go from wilderness lodge to fort wilderness and then on to epcot. Adds probably 10 minutes to the trip.

Most likely, Disney has determined that fewer Deluxe guests use the buses, and that it's not cost-effective or a good use of resources to provide individual buses every 20ish minutes.

I noticed this trip and I guess I've noticed it before, but if you plan to take the bus you are really better off staying at a value or maybe a moderate. Most of the deluxe share buses and that means increased travel time. If someone pays double the price, they should get at least the same bus service? We've been staying in deluxe recently as the kids like to swim otherwise I'm probably going back to value for future trips especially if we aren't swimming. That extra time stopping at two resorts instead of just getting to where you need to be really adds up.

Especially evident when you go from wilderness lodge to fort wilderness and then on to epcot. Adds probably 10 minutes to the trip.

That detour to FW is the reason why I am done with WL. Aggravates me to no end.

I totally agree that Deluxes should get dedicated buses. The only one I will give a pass on is YC/BC. They are close enough to share.

Have you stayed at a moderate, other than POFQ? If you get on that bus at the first stop, it takes a fairly long time to leave the resort property. Actually more time than a BW bus, or YC/BC. BW sometimes shares with the S/D, YC/BC have their own route. AKL/Kidani share. I forget how WL, CR, GF and Polynesian are split.
But those three have direct transportation to MK via the monorail or boat. GF, CR, Polynesian have monorail to Epcot. The Epcot resorts have boats to two different parks, as well as the ability to walk.
AKL and WL are deluxe junior resorts due to their lesser transportation options vs what true deluxe resorts have.
It really does balance out.

When we were there in 2015 we stayed at Yacht Club, and yes they shared with Beach Club. But it didn't add too much on to the trip and the buses were never too packed. In April we went again and stayed at POR and we said NEVER AGAIN with those buses. They were always overcrowded, once so badly that I was about to have an anxiety attack. There were 4 stops at POR and that internal route took longer than the 2 stops at Beach and Yacht. And POR sometimes shared buses with POFQ, so that meant 5 stops.

When we were there in 2015 we stayed at Yacht Club, and yes they shared with Beach Club. But it didn't add too much on to the trip and the buses were never too packed. In April we went again and stayed at POR and we said NEVER AGAIN with those buses. They were always overcrowded, once so badly that I was about to have an anxiety attack. There were 4 stops at POR and that internal route took longer than the 2 stops at Beach and Yacht. And POR sometimes shared buses with POFQ, so that meant 5 stops.
The worst? SSR! A deluxe with five stops! It's brutal. And like POR, it's really crowded for those last stops.

Most likely, Disney has determined that fewer Deluxe guests use the buses, and that it's not cost-effective or a good use of resources to provide individual buses every 20ish minutes.

But that's the point. Deluxe resorts aren't cost effective either. People pay for extras such as table service restaurants, indoor hallways etc that you don't get at the values.

Even YC/BC is annoying. We just stayed there for a week at BC and it stops at YC first when going back. It adds a few minutes to the trip. When you are already tired, its aggravating. If they swapped off who got dropped off first, it wouldn't be so bad. One night though they combined the buses and it was swan, dolphin YC and then BC and that was a long trip.

But that's the point. Deluxe resorts aren't cost effective either. People pay for extras such as table service restaurants, indoor hallways etc that you don't get at the values.

Even YC/BC is annoying. We just stayed there for a week at BC and it stops at YC first when going back. It adds a few minutes to the trip. When you are already tired, its aggravating. If they swapped off who got dropped off first, it wouldn't be so bad. One night though they combined the buses and it was swan, dolphin YC and then BC and that was a long trip.
I'm sorry but do you have any idea how wasteful it would be to stop at BC first, prior to going to YC? To drive right past YC, go to BC, drive back into YC? There's a reason the routes are the way they are. Believe me, back when BW shared a route with the S/D, and YC/BC, it was miserable. Imagine paying to stay at BW, and you get to be on a bus for 25 mins!! And yes, sometimes the S/D go get put in with either BW or YC/BC. If you want to be dropped off first, get off at the YC stop and walk over to BC...it's a very short walk.

The only way bus service will improve at the deluxe and moderate resorts is is they start losing revenue because of it.

I'm sorry but do you have any idea how wasteful it would be to stop at BC first, prior to going to YC? To drive right past YC, go to BC, drive back into YC? There's a reason the routes are the way they are. Believe me, back when BW shared a route with the S/D, and YC/BC, it was miserable. Imagine paying to stay at BW, and you get to be on a bus for 25 mins!! And yes, sometimes the S/D go get put in with either BW or YC/BC. If you want to be dropped off first, get off at the YC stop and walk over to BC...it's a very short walk.

Thats the point, I could care less how wasteful it is. Disney isn't paying me to stay there, I'm paying Disney lots of money. Even if you stay at a value resort at Disney you are paying Disney tons of money. Disney's business issues are not my issues as a guest. Two distinctly different things. If I can hop on a bus from Animal kingdom and go to Pop Century in one stop, I shouldn't have to hop on a shared bus to go to a deluxe resort and waste precious time going between resorts. As I said, if they swapped up the order at least that would make it a little better so you weren't always just wasting time.

Buses also come more frequently for the value resorts. Yes of course I get that those resorts have more people, but that goes back to my original point that the value resorts and potentially moderate resorts are getting better bus service.

If they swapped the BC/YC order then the YC people would have the same issue you were having with BC, so your time is more important than others? It's another 10 to 15 min. max, you are on vacation, take that time and relax.

How wasteful? Did you really just type that? Everything beyond the most simplest need is wasteful in that regard. It's a vacation where you are paying a lot of money for service not an exercise is consevation of resources. Good grief.

If they swapped the BC/YC order then the YC people would have the same issue you were having with BC, so your time is more important than others? It's another 10 to 15 min. max, you are on vacation, take that time and relax.

Thats why I said I'm fine if they swapped it back and forth.

Without getting into the "wasteful" argument, lets talk instead about how much we are paying for this service. Obviously (to Disney) not enough to compensate them to dedicate a bus to just BC (or YC). So, how much more would we have to pay if there was a dedicated bus?

I agree with OP. I've stayed at all levels, and frequently still visit deluxes,and use the transport. I've found it much less convenient for buses at deluxe resorts. the stops are harder to get to, the buses seem to come less..... If I were paying the steep cost to stay there,I'd want MUCH better bus service,as monorails and boats aren't always an option.At $300+ a night the buses should be STELLAR at deluxe. Instead, they're less effective than at allstars,from what I've seen. Again, just my limited observation and opinion.

The only way it's going to change is if Disney starts having difficulty filling deluxe rooms.

I'm not being snarky, here - I genuinely want to know: if you're unhappy with what you're getting at the deluxe resorts, why do you keep going back?

I go because my kids like to swim at the pools, but honestly I"ll probably do value from now on unless I get a really good deal.

The deluxe resorts have it over the others because of proximity to a park. For the most part if you are staying at a Deluxe there is at least one park you don't have to bus to. So I think it evens out.

I go because my kids like to swim at the pools, but honestly I"ll probably do value from now on unless I get a really good deal.

Another thing the deluxe resorts have over the values and moderates is the location of the bus stops at the parks. The values are always the ones the farthest from the park gates. I know from experience Pop is quite a hike at all of the parks, it is almost always the stop the farthest away. So you may want to consider that before you think the values have it better as far as the buses go.

The only way it's going to change is if Disney starts having difficulty filling deluxe rooms.

I'm not being snarky, here - I genuinely want to know: if you're unhappy with what you're getting at the deluxe resorts, why do you keep going back?
I don't lol just visiting...there are
plenty of nice pools onsite

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter