Bringing 3 of DD friend sweet 16.... SWA do I need ID for them or letter from parents?

alldiz

DIS Veteran
Hi,
We are bringing 3 of DD friends to WDW instead of a party.

We are on same reservation. My DD never has ID but she has my last name.
Girls will be 15 or 16.
Do I need a letter from parents that I can take them?
Off topic....this reservation is for end of June. From Long Island to MCO for 7 of us under $2,000. Today that flight is over $6,000. Setting the alarm for 6am on release day was worth it. I know date will go down but not that much!!
Thanks
Kerri

I don’t know the answer to that but I do highly recommend a notarized medical power of attorney for each and copies of their insurance cards.
Great idea! Was thinking copy of cards but didn’t think of power of medical decision. Scary! But important.
Thanks
Kerri

No - under 18 doesn't need ID - all TSA may do is ask them their name to match boarding pass. They also don't care who your traveling with or why- I travel with dd's friends as well as my niece and nephew often and never get a second glance.

Also my .02 but a medical power of attorney or notarized letter isn't necessary and likely won't even be looked at in the event of (hopefully not) an emergency. Just have them carry their insurance card but even that info can be obtained by a provider if necessary. If there is a situation they will either treat if its a real emergency or notify the next of kin by phone or FaceTime etc.
I have been in this situation twice now.

If it makes you or the parents feel better then go for it if you feel it worth the cost and time it would take to obtain.

Don't bother with the notarized letter - no one will look at it. Unless it is a life or death situation, they will not treat unless they actually talk to a parent, so make sure you keep their phone numbers with you. Having a copy of of their insurance cards will be helpful.

You don't need a letter from their parents and they don't need ID.

Children under 18 don't need ID to fly domestically.
No letter is needed either.
My nephew does not have the same last name as my sister.
They aren't gonna question it.

I would get some kind of medical authorization from the parents -- even though I agree 100% with those who say nobody will look at it. I say do it simply because it will make the parents feel more comfortable.

MUCH more important is for you to have both parents' telephone numbers. And if the kids are going to be roaming on their own -- as 16 year olds love to do -- make sure each kid has all PARENTS phone numbers. An emergency is no time for the kids to have to try to chase you down to get a phone number. Give each kid ALL the numbers so they can provide them to EMS in an emergency.

I'm an EMT, and we deal with this stuff every single day. The issue here is consent. A minor cannot consent to medical treatment, nor can they refuse medical treatment. Only their parents or legal guardians can give or refuse consent. If you have some written document, EMS responders will simply say, "That's nice. What's the Mom's phone number." And they will call the parent.

In a life-threatening emergency (in the responder's professional judgement -- not yours, the kid's, or the parent's) treatment will be provided. That situation is called "implied consent," and there will be ZERO hesitation to treat. We always err on the side of the patient, and often there are situations which could become life-threatening that we will treat to avoid. Implied consent covers a very wide range of situations, and EMS professionals are not going to split legal hairs. We're going to look out for the patient first.

So get the phone numbers and have a great trip!

Thanks everyone!

I will definitely have all insurance cards and every number handy for everyone. I will also make sure they leave the room with there phone charged. This will probably be my biggest annoyance all week!
Thanks
Kerri

I wouldn't worry too much about having to remind them of their phones being charged.
They are 15/16. They are likely on their phones a lot normally.
I bet they all have portable phone chargers.

I don’t know the answer to that but I do highly recommend a notarized medical power of attorney for each and copies of their insurance cards.
That's we used to do when we brought along the kids friends. Worked fine when we had to bring one to an urgent care for an ear infection.

That's we used to do when we brought along the kids friends. Worked fine when we had to bring one to an urgent care for an ear infection.
How long ago was that? Medical personnel used to accept them, but since cell phones have become basically universal, they will no longer treat unless they actually speak to a parent.

Hi,
We are bringing 3 of DD friends to WDW instead of a party.

We are on same reservation. My DD never has ID but she has my last name.
Girls will be 15 or 16.
Do I need a letter from parents that I can take them?
Off topic....this reservation is for end of June. From Long Island to MCO for 7 of us under $2,000. Today that flight is over $6,000. Setting the alarm for 6am on release day was worth it. I know date will go down but not that much!!
Thanks
Kerri

for TSA purposes, you do not need any letter or anything of that sort for domestic travel. Also those under 18 do not need ID. I would suggest a letter for medical/insurance purposes.

Don't bother with the notarized letter - no one will look at it. Unless it is a life or death situation, they will not treat unless they actually talk to a parent, so make sure you keep their phone numbers with you. Having a copy of of their insurance cards will be helpful.

You don't need a letter from their parents and they don't need ID.

This ^^^^ I know TSA won't look at a letter. I've discussed it with them while in line. These types of letters can be easily forged.

I would look into this further with TSA. The REAL ID ACT goes into effect January 22, 2018.

We just applied for passports today. I've heard mixed reports that passports will be needed to fly domestically as of January 22.

My kids also have NYS non-driver ID cards ($14 from DMV). Kids should always have some form of ID on them, regardless. It's a different world we live in today.

I would look into this further with TSA. The REAL ID ACT goes into effect January 22, 2018.

We just applied for passports today. I've heard mixed reports that passports will be needed to fly domestically as of January 22.

Only for people over 18 who live in non-complient states.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter