Breastfeeding

Montrealer

Earning My Ears
We just booked our first family cruise in December and we will have our 2 year old and a 6 month old with us. Our 6 month old will be breastfeeding and probably wouldn't be eating much table food except maybe some mashed bananas. I will obviously feed the baby before we head to dinner since I would like to enjoy my meal without being disturbed but I wanted to know how likely an issue would arise if the baby needed to be fed again during dinner time.

We requested a table alone as I do not wish to make anyone feel uncomfortable but I am not going to leave the dinning room in order to feed my child (nor will I let him go hungry) and I will discreetly do so at our table. I'm from Montreal and have breastfed without issue at home as well as in many European restaurant but I have not done so in the USA. Should I be able to breastfeed without issue while at dinner and if a problem does arise, does anyone have any tips on the best way to handle it?

There is always the risk that someone scared of boobs might be seated next to you and be terrorized. Even if you call RCCL and get an official policy from them, there is no telling if the restaurant manager knows the policy. I can't imagine the policy is anything but breastfeeding is ok. Good luck.

It's a hot button issue, but you have a right to feed your child wherever you are.

I just suggest being discreet.

We just booked our first family cruise in December and we will have our 2 year old and a 6 month old with us. Our 6 month old will be breastfeeding and probably wouldn't be eating much table food except maybe some mashed bananas. I will obviously feed the baby before we head to dinner since I would like to enjoy my meal without being disturbed but I wanted to know how likely an issue would arise if the baby needed to be fed again during dinner time.

We requested a table alone as I do not wish to make anyone feel uncomfortable but I am not going to leave the dinning room in order to feed my child (nor will I let him go hungry) and I will discreetly do so at our table. I'm from Montreal and have breastfed without issue at home as well as in many European restaurant but I have not done so in the USA. Should I be able to breastfeed without issue while at dinner and if a problem does arise, does anyone have any tips on the best way to handle it?
It is legal to breastfeed in public throughout the USA. Many women nurse their babies in restaurants, shops & other public places, including at Disney World, so the Americans you see on your cruise won't be shocked to see this.

There are some people who don't like it to see nursing in public, but most people won't mind at all, and some will be especially supportive. I'm sure you know that there are lots of things you can do with clothing and wraps to make nursing discreet. Nursing discreetly at dinner is not an etiquette problem. I hope you and your baby enjoy your cruise!

I wouldn't worry about RCCL giving you a hard time about this. They would get terrible publicity if parents were to complain that their baby couldn't be fed in public areas of the ship. I'm sure their staff has been trained not to make an issue of it.

Last edited:
I've never had a problem breastfeeding on a Royal, DCL, or Carnival cruise. I'm on kid #4, so I don't even cover anymore. If being discreet is a concern, it's almost always more obvious that you are nursing when you throw a big cover over yourself and baby. I've had several servers take my orders while I was nursing uncovered, and they never batted an eye. One even commented on how sweet it was that baby was sleeping--because that's what it looks like. "Discretion" shouldn't even be a word we use when we feed a baby, in my opinion. How discreet are we wjen we bottle feed? However, if you are more comfortable covering, go for it. It's all about what makes *you and baby* comfortable. Everyone else is a grown adult and can just look away. Your baby doesn't have another option.

You're unlikely to have an issue from other guests, but if you do, just let a crew member know. Harassment by another guest is never acceptable, and certainly not while you are simply feeding your baby.

Fwiw, I've nursed all over various ships: restaurants, pools, shows, movie theaters, the lobby. No one has even noticed. Or at least, I never saw anyone looking at us, so it's the same difference :)

Have a great time!

I have four children, and breastfed most of them in a cruise dining room at one point or another. It's never been a problem. Usually, I do bring along a blanket or a cover just to make it more discreet. Sometimes, the more formal outfits I packed for the evening weren't the most convenient for breastfeeding, so the cover made it easier to slip out of a dress top without feeling like I was disrobing in the dining room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter