Booking trip--best deals/tickets

GCM

Mouseketeer
My family is planning our first ever trip to US or IOA. I have been researching, but haven't seen where/how is the best way to purchase our tickets. I have been able to find a lot of useful information, such as I would never have realized you have to pay to park at the hotels, but am having difficulty finding out how to save money/get deals. We are hoping to stay onsite, probably at RPR, so we can have EP.

I have a few questions I would greatly appreciate some advice about:

How do you find the best deal for a hotel? Do you watch the Universal website or is there another website you watch?

How far in advance do deals usually come out or is there a site that shows the history of Universal specials?

Do I need to book my tickets along with the hotel or is there a better way to purchase tickets?

We plan to go to the parks 2 days and I see in order to ride Hogwarts Express I need park to park--is this correct?

Thanks for the help!!!!!

I know I have answered questions like you have in other threads but can’t pull them all up on my phone

Use the search button to locate them

Reactions: GCM
I know I have answered questions like you have in other threads but can’t pull them all up on my phone

Use the search button to locate them
Thanks, I will try to search again. I tried, but kept getting all this random stuff. Maybe there was just a glitch in the system at that time. Thanks!

My family is planning our first ever trip to US or IOA. I have been researching, but haven't seen where/how is the best way to purchase our tickets. I have been able to find a lot of useful information, such as I would never have realized you have to pay to park at the hotels, but am having difficulty finding out how to save money/get deals. We are hoping to stay onsite, probably at RPR, so we can have EP.

I have a few questions I would greatly appreciate some advice about:

How do you find the best deal for a hotel? Do you watch the Universal website or is there another website you watch? The only “deals” I’ve found have been for annual pass holders. An annual pass is not much more than a regular ticket and will give you a deep discount on hotels as long as you are not traveling at a very busy/popular time.

How far in advance do deals usually come out or is there a site that shows the history of Universal specials? March annual pass discounts came out a couple of weeks ago. Many will book ahead of time and change the rate when the APH rate comes out.

Do I need to book my tickets along with the hotel or is there a better way to purchase tickets? Packages are almost always not a great deal and changes will cost you. Buy your tickets separately. Annual pass from Universal site and the rest (you only need one) from undercover tourists.

We plan to go to the parks 2 days and I see in order to ride Hogwarts Express I need park to park--is this correct? Yes

Thanks for the help!!!!!

Answers above in red. :-)

For rooms - sometimes direct through Loews is a better deal than on universal sight. For tickets undercover tourist is great. We found a great deal when they were offering a 2 day ticket with one day free- the deals change so you almost need to hop on it if you are fairly close to your trip and you see a good deal for the tickets you want.

Wow, thank you for the information!!! I had not even considered an AP. So are you saying we only need one annual pass and then get the rest of the family regular tickets?

You only need one annual pass per room to get the APH room discount.

That is wonderful!!! I would have never thought about AP. Thank you so much for this info!!!!

You’re welcome! Just be careful ... Universal is addictive! If towards the end you your trip you think your family would like to go back again before your annual pass expires you can upgrade the regular tickets to ap at guest services.

For rooms - sometimes direct through Loews is a better deal than on universal sight. For tickets undercover tourist is great. We found a great deal when they were offering a 2 day ticket with one day free- the deals change so you almost need to hop on it if you are fairly close to your trip and you see a good deal for the tickets you want.
Thanks!!! We don't plan to go until early 2019, which sounds like gives me some time to run across some good ticket deals. Universal is all so new to me....I think I may be over complicating it a bit. :crazy: Lol!

Thanks!!! We don't plan to go until early 2019, which sounds like gives me some time to run across some good ticket deals. Universal is all so new to me....I think I may be over complicating it a bit. :crazy: Lol!
Just be careful with the universal tickets as they do have an expiration -- I don't know if they hold any value as do the Disney tickets (even if expired you can use $$ towards new tickets). I believe through undercover tourist tickets are valid for a year. I would look at buying a few months ahead of your trip just in case the trip doesn't happen you will have time to still use them.

I felt like i was doing something wrong with planning our universal portion of our trip - we are doing RPR so with the unlimited express pass there is really no planning that we have to do. Feels very strange.

About 2000 and a few years after, uo sold the 5 day and 7 day p2p ticket passes

I have been renewing my ap each year and don’t need park tickets except when I would take one of my kids with me in a trip
They use the tickets when they go with me
I bought those multiday passes when they came out
Lowest I paid was $79
And highest was $99 per pass

They did not scan when I took one son with me last year
I traded them in for single day p2p tickets inside the park at guest services
The tickets that were in the 7 day passes has expiration date of 2030
The 5 day passes states never/complimentary

Converting 6 old passes gave me a lot of present day tickets

I read the poster above state tickets are expiring now
I’m fortunate I missed that change

Just be careful with the universal tickets as they do have an expiration -- I don't know if they hold any value as do the Disney tickets (even if expired you can use $$ towards new tickets). I believe through undercover tourist tickets are valid for a year. I would look at buying a few months ahead of your trip just in case the trip doesn't happen you will have time to still use them.

I felt like i was doing something wrong with planning our universal portion of our trip - we are doing RPR so with the unlimited express pass there is really no planning that we have to do. Feels very strange.

Thanks, on the info about tickets! I'm glad you told me! I will make sure I wait until closer to time before purchasing them, just to be safe.

I believe we too will stay at RPR just to get the unlimited express pass! I believe I would prefer CB, as I really like the theming, the bowling alley and lazy river, but RPR is gorgeous and from the reviews I've read everyone seems very well pleased with their stay there.

I too feel like I'm doing something wrong. I'm so used to planning what park to be at what day, what ADRs we want, FP and then stressing over whether we will get everything we want at the times we prefer. It just seems odd that basically all we will have to do for Universal is have a hotel reservation and park tickets and we'll be ready to go.

About 2000 and a few years after, uo sold the 5 day and 7 day p2p ticket passes

I have been renewing my ap each year and don’t need park tickets except when I would take one of my kids with me in a trip
They use the tickets when they go with me
I bought those multiday passes when they came out
Lowest I paid was $79
And highest was $99 per pass

They did not scan when I took one son with me last year
I traded them in for single day p2p tickets inside the park at guest services
The tickets that were in the 7 day passes has expiration date of 2030
The 5 day passes states never/complimentary

Converting 6 old passes gave me a lot of present day tickets

I read the poster above state tickets are expiring now
I’m fortunate I missed that change

Wow, it sounds like you definitely made a smart move years ago and now you are set! I wish it was still that way!

I have bought Universal Orlando tickets as well as annual passes through AAA South in the past for a good discount. You actually get a voucher to exchange for the ticket/ap when you arrive at the parks or at your resort hotel. I've had no problem doing this with UO or Disney tickets or APs.

I have bought Universal Orlando tickets as well as annual passes through AAA South in the past for a good discount. You actually get a voucher to exchange for the ticket/ap when you arrive at the parks or at your resort hotel. I've had no problem doing this with UO or Disney tickets or APs.

That is good to know. We are not currently AAA members. We recently bought a car and it has roadside service included, so I'd have to see if it's worth the extra expense, but thanks because that is definitely something worth checking into. Thanks!!!

That is good to know. We are not currently AAA members. We recently bought a car and it has roadside service included, so I'd have to see if it's worth the extra expense, but thanks because that is definitely something worth checking into. Thanks!!!
My AAA membership in Georgia is $55 a year for one person
It is the basic level which is all I need for using the other perks with AAA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter