BOOKing It To Pandora - a June '17 TR *NEW 7/7 Pandora Photo Tour*

JessRose

Mouseketeer
Here ye, Here ye
Come gather 'round everyone
WELCOME to this magical kingdom
My name is Lady Jessica, and I'll be your royal majesty maker for this trip report

It is hereby decreed that all are welcome in this happy place
Where the young, and the young at heart
Can explore, laugh and play together
Here - where magic awaits you around every corner
Bursting with the joy and inspiration to make your dreams come true!

I hope ya'll are ready for a wild time, because I'm just back from a trip to the second most magical place on earth - Pandora - and I can't wait to tell you all about it!

I'm Jessica...
A0058CBF-5575-4C85-BBE3-D9DB1309CE04_zps8ypqlggm.jpg

I'm the one in the fancy hat...and as mentioned, I'll be your royal majesty maker, ghost host, and skipper for this 4 day Disney tour.

I work in insurance operations (by day and to pay the bills) and this year started my own business creating handmade Disney autograph books and planning guides, as well as my own Disney blog. While I wasn't sure what to expect with my new business venture, I'm fortunate to say it's taken off and is what funds our trips to Disney (hence the title of this trip report).

This trip is in the middle of a whirlwind year of Disney and is trip number two of FOUR planned in 2017.

I was joined for most of this trip by my great friend and coworker Lisa - who runs The Life in Between travel blog. I'm based in Wisconsin and she's now based in Virginia, but as luck would have it - she was in Miami for work when I planned to go on this trip, so my solo trip turned into a joint venture for us.

Lisa is my travel spirit animal and has been to some amazing places recently, including hiking to Everest Base Camp this spring. Occasionally our work travels bring us to the same location, so I was excited we got the opportunity to check out Pandora together.

Our last trip was to Las Vegas this past fall, and while I don't have any actual pictures of us together from this trip, I do have these fun side-by-sides from Vegas on the zip line at Fremont Street. I'm posting them because I think they both describe our personalities perfectly. Lisa is on the left (or top, depending on your screen size) and I'm on the right.

76082_090416_297131_zpsuqi2oyga.jpg
76082_090416_297135_zpsycsjrad0.jpg

Now that you know about the who - lets find out the when, where and why!

When: June 2nd - June 5th

Where: Coronado Springs Resort

Why: Pandora

With: Quick Service Dining Plan

I hope you'll sit back and enjoy this presentation. I promise, you won't have to wait long for Pandora - it's Day 2 of the trip. Here's a little sneak preview in the mean time:
5D3937AD-9033-40E5-8032-427CBCE26B33_zpsnu4ha81g.jpg

If you're reading along, drop a message to introduce yourself.

If you're interested in reading more, you can check out my March Trip Report (in progress) and my March Dining Review (in progress) - both are linked in my signature.

If you want to know more about the plans for this trip or the other adventures planned for this year - check out my PTR link as well.

Up Next: Traveling to Disney and resort arrival.

Last edited:
I was there a few days before you! Pandora was amazing. I'm excited to read your experience :)

I was there a few days before you! Pandora was amazing. I'm excited to read your experience :)

Wow! Congrats on braving those crowds! Sounds like it was INTENSE those first few days! I'll be popping over to your TR to read all about it.

The One Where...We're Off To Disney!

I live just outside of Green Bay, WI. It's expensive and inconvenient to fly out of my home airport because you can't go anywhere direct (unless you're going to a Delta hub, or Chicago). However, on solo trips, I prefer to spend the extra money and fly out of Green Bay to avoid the added cost of overnight lodging the night before, parking costs and having to drive somewhere several hours away by myself.

On the night before Disney, I finished packing up my bags and moving them downstairs so they were ready to go in the morning. I finally settled in to bed around 12:30 AM.

0ACAAEA5-AED8-4B7D-9D6C-16CC2D7AA6AE_zpsqstnl0bb.jpg

'Twas the night before Disney,
And all through the house.
Not a creature was stirring,
Not even a mouse.

Mouse ears were packed,
In suitcases with care.
Trimmed with magical tags,
So they too would get there.

We tossed with excitement,
And glee in our beds.
While visions of castles,
danced in our heads.

I slept for what felt like a second, and was rudely woken up by my alarm at 3:30 AM. At least this is a magical site to wake up to when you're getting up that early...

D0F13C82-045A-40FF-B66A-1C0CEC839311_zpsgxbtpkop.jpg

I got ready, and we were leaving our house right at 4:15 - right on time. I'm so lucky that my boyfriend Eric was willing to send me off at the airport so I didn't have to rely on Uber that early. He's a pretty good trooper - he did after all drop me off at the airport so I could go have fun in Disney, while he spent the weekend working.

We made it to the airport by 4:30 - I checked my bag in with Delta and made a B-line for the cheese shop (Yes, Green Bay has a cheese shop in the airport, and yes, it's as amazing as one would think it is).

Unfortunately, I found that it's not open at 4:30 -

AD27B21F-3978-4598-9C20-044D59D829A3_zpsrm3enh2t.jpg

I made my way upstairs and was through security by 4:36. I went out in search of a snack, and was very excited to find that the little café has some cheese curds available - I hadn't seen this kind anywhere before, I of course, had to get them.

7b1fb5a2-750c-41d3-bfbd-9ed19252e2bf_zpspn5zl2t7.jpg

These are awesome!

While we were waiting to board, they called my name for an upgrade to Comfort+. Normally I opt out of Comfort+ upgrades because I hate getting stuck with a 'middle seat'. Since we were flying on a CRJ down to Atlanta, there was no middle seat. I appreciated the extra leg room on the flight, but didn't take advantage of the additional amenities (free liquor) that it offered. I was on a mission when I landed in Orlando and knew it would be a hot day. Staying hydrated would be important.

We took off at 5:20 AM, which was about 10 minutes ahead of schedule. I did have a tight connection in Atlanta which I had some anxiety about in the days leading up to my trip - but we ended up landing about 30 minutes early. I flew into C Terminal and had to take the 'Plane Train' to Terminal A for my flight to MCO.

I was SO excited we were leaving out of A terminal, because it meant I could stop at...

7A546232-9934-4297-BD24-40588EA8C84A_zpsyiys5flw.jpg

Piece of Cake! I love all things cupcakes. Its actually embarrassing the lengths to which I have gone for cupcakes in the past. Piece of Cake is AMAZING and I ordered a slice of their white chocolate for a snack later. I texted Lisa to ask what she wanted, and she asked for the red velvet.

We were on a BIG plane out of Atlanta, and it took about 25 minutes extra to board the flight. I didn't mind because I was able to watch one of my favorite movies...

68DD1243-3492-4D76-A706-1A1566FBAE8F_zps2p256lmm.jpg

While we waited. Even though we took off pretty late, we still managed to arrive in Orlando about 15 minutes early!

This put me at ease a little. If you read my other trip report - you know I was totally robbed of a good parade viewing spot at the list minute by three. grown. adults. and this afternoon was my only opportunity to watch the parade. It was on my photography bucket list to get some really good shots of the parade.

There is no time for bathroom breaks once you're in the land of Disney, so I hustled my buns to the Fake-O-Rail, where a tram had just pulled up.

0FF7DE3B-C8D7-4AA3-BEAB-4DFB829ADEE9_zps107a95ov.jpg

In a few seconds, we were on our way!

Once I made it to the terminal, the check-in line for Magical Express was about 6-10 deep in each lane. I impatiently waited my turn, before being directed to line number 10...

DD93949C-949E-4984-9CDE-CBDCD56DE979_zpsymx5nhey.jpg

Bound for Coronado Springs. I was literally the only person in line.

54208A9B-6A61-4DDB-98EF-BA0BCA1C0F56_zps9o7sid4r.jpg

I waited a total of 30 minutes from the time I got in line until we were leaving the airport grounds. I realize this next statement is going to make me sound really spoiled, but that's about 20 minutes longer than I've ever waited in the past!

AAF3418F-95B3-43B8-B245-E4933059F145_zpsdtlyooug.jpg

Our bus made 2 stops, and I was really excited that Coronado Springs was the first (the bus continued onto Animal Kingdom Lodge after our stop).

I did manage to get a god awful picture of the welcome sign on my phone...

4127024E-A7B9-44A9-8F4C-565D524F023A_zpssyhj73i5.jpg

I hadn't received my room text on the Magical Express like I had for my trip in March, so I made it over to registration. I was assisted by Alec, who was still 'earning his ears'. He did a great job, but I could tell he was nervous.

He let me know my room wasn't available yet - but his helper (whose name I can't remember, but I know she was from Lima, Peru) assisted him. I had booked a preferred room, but my only request was a high floor.

She was able to locate a room for me that was ready - 3494. Honestly, I cannot imagine what room they had originally assigned me to, because this room location was PERFECTION! It was located in Casitas 3, and was very close to the bus stop, and also close enough to the main building.

I strolled off to find my room so I could drop off my carry-on baggage and change into "Florida in June" attire. I felt like a pack mule because I had a backpack which had my laptop and change of clothes in, plus a rolling carry-on suitcase which I had packed all of my camera gear, my mouse ears and my new DSLR camera bag in. Those things were all too valuable to put in checked luggage.

I took what was quite possibly the longest rout to my room, but eventually found it. I managed to take a few pics of the room...

DSC_0003_zpsp5qx8jdm.jpg

DSC_0005_zps8txk1qdd.jpg

I was headed to the bus stop at 1:00 PM - and just as I was walking up, a bus to Magic Kingdom appeared. I was off to a great start timing wise - but would it continue?

Up Next: Magic Kingdom Arrival, Lunch at Friar's Nook and Festival of Fantasy

Following!!! I am from PA and we have some friends in WI who ship us cheese curds, they are just so great!

Following!!! I am from PA and we have some friends in WI who ship us cheese curds, they are just so great!

:wave: Thanks for joining! I used to run a covert smuggling operation of Spotted Cow beer - I used to stash some in checked luggage for my friends husband when I would go to Charlotte for work.

Alright, I'm here! So looking forward to your thoughts on Pandora! We're very excited to get there in August :)

I'm still enjoying your March trip report but haven't had a chance to comment. Looking forward to reading all about Pandora. We've had 2 trips so far this year with a 3rd one planned for November. We just got back from our second trip the end of May but didn't make it to Pandora. Our trip ended the day after opening day and with no FP's and temps in the high 90's we could not endure 5+ hours waiting in line. We're super excited to see Pandora in November when the temps are much better and we'll have FP's.

Alright, I'm here! So looking forward to your thoughts on Pandora! We're very excited to get there in August :)

Disney in August - god bless ya. It has been about 8 years since I've braved Disney in the summer and I said many times it will probably be another 8 years before I try it again. Although, we are going 9/1 to 9/4, which is basically the same thing haha.

I'm still enjoying your March trip report but haven't had a chance to comment. Looking forward to reading all about Pandora. We've had 2 trips so far this year with a 3rd one planned for November. We just got back from our second trip the end of May but didn't make it to Pandora. Our trip ended the day after opening day and with no FP's and temps in the high 90's we could not endure 5+ hours waiting in line. We're super excited to see Pandora in November when the temps are much better and we'll have FP's.

Thanks for following along. I think you made the right choice on Pandora. Give it a few months and the crowds will be considerably lower. Maybe there won't even be any tiered FastPasses!

Disney in August - god bless ya. It has been about 8 years since I've braved Disney in the summer and I said many times it will probably be another 8 years before I try it again. Although, we are going 9/1 to 9/4, which is basically the same thing haha.

We're nuts! Haha. I'm definitely concerned about the heat and humidity! But we were just there over a heatwave weekend in May and it was almost as hot then as it will be in August...so what's another few degrees at that point? :P We used to go in the summer every year when I was a kid, but it's been over a decade since I've done it. It ended up being the best time to have our wedding so that our families would be available to travel, so we're just trying to be strategic: morning wedding, doing most of our touring in the mornings and evenings with afternoon breaks, etc. Since it's not our first trip or anything I'm going to try my best to take it slow...lol right...

We were there in May and stayed at CSR too. It was our first time staying there and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. We were in Casitas 5 and we could see the HS fireworks from the balcony. It was pretty awesome! Looking forward to reading more.

Off to a great start!! Staying at CSR in October, so thanks for the room info!

I loved CSR. This is the second time I've been there. We're going to try out POR at some point - but I wouldn't hesitate to come back here again. The first time we stayed was back in 2012 - and my only gripe then was the buses. We just had bad luck with them and it felt like a dozen buses for every other theme park came before the one we were trying to get to. The addition of the time board I think has helped with that feeling tremendously. I think you get the feeling of a deluxe resort here because there are SO many dining options due to the convention center. There was a convention going on while we were there - but it didn't feel that busy at all.

I have a lot better pictures that I took on the last night of my trip - so those are coming up at some point!

We're nuts! Haha. I'm definitely concerned about the heat and humidity! But we were just there over a heatwave weekend in May and it was almost as hot then as it will be in August...so what's another few degrees at that point? :P We used to go in the summer every year when I was a kid, but it's been over a decade since I've done it. It ended up being the best time to have our wedding so that our families would be available to travel, so we're just trying to be strategic: morning wedding, doing most of our touring in the mornings and evenings with afternoon breaks, etc. Since it's not our first trip or anything I'm going to try my best to take it slow...lol right...

What we always did was get up for rope drop get just about everything done early in the day, have a long leisurely lunch indoors around 1-2 and then head back to the resort for R&R in the afternoon. We usually avoided the daily, torrential rain storm that way and avoided the worst part of the heat.

We were there in May and stayed at CSR too. It was our first time staying there and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. We were in Casitas 5 and we could see the HS fireworks from the balcony. It was pretty awesome! Looking forward to reading more.

So glad you liked CSR too! I like the more 'adult' feeling of the resort and think the theming is beautiful. I was a little bummed they got rid of the bed runners...I thought the room looked a little blah without them, but overall, no complaints about the resort on this stay.

The One Where...There's a Festival of Hot Mac & Cheese

I arrived to Magic Kingdom and made it through security without incident.

I strolled up to the fancy Annual Pass ticket line...where it quickly became apparent this line was about twice as long as all the other lines. So I moved into a normal line and was inside in no time.

9D1A515F-5E31-4B22-9F56-99B77AC12FAA_zps0ud1wtfh.jpg

It was nice to see that the train station construction was finished since my last trip. There's something less than magical than arriving to the Magic Kingdom, with the train station covered up with scaffolding.

DSC_0011-EDIT_zpsotyz0dho.jpg

I made my way through the entrance, around the corner, and at last there it was - the beautiful castle.

DSC_0013_zpsns38cenb.jpg

I was beyond hangry at this point. The only thing I'd had to eat all day were a few Bloody Mary cheese curds. I had planned to go to Friar's Nook to try out some of the gourmet mac & cheese pairings.

In my head, I was picturing the location of Friar's Nook where Sleepy Hollow actually is. No worries - the My Disney Experience app got me pointed in the right direction!

Prior to leaving, I had seen Buffalo Mac & Cheese & Pot Roast Mac & Cheese on the online menus. When I arrived, I realized neither of those options were available, so I went with what they did have...

DSC_0017_zpss43xp5p4.jpg

Barbecue Chicken Macaroni & Cheese $10.49

If you're following along with my dining review - you already know my thoughts on this. I really wanted to love it, but this just wasn't good.

The mac & cheese part was regular Stouffer's - so not particularly great, but not horrible either.

The barbecue sauce had good flavor, but the chicken was normal chicken - it didn't have any smoky or grilled flavor like what you'd expect at say, Flame Tree.

Worst of all, was that cabbage on top - which was plain, raw cabbage. I was hopeful it would have had a coleslaw type dressing on it, so combined with the barbecue chicken, it would be like a classic barbecue sandwich. It just wasn't the case.

I don't think matters were helped by the fact it was approaching 90 degrees - and piping hot Mac & Cheese just was never going to be a good choice.

I really wish I would have gone to Pecos Bills, Sleepy Hollow or Tortuga Tavern.

At $10.49 for the entrée - this also wasn't a great value on the Quick Service Dining Plan at all.

At any rate, it was food and I was starving. I headed off to my next destination - to scope out a great spot for the parade.

If you're reading my other trip report, you know I was really excited to try my new camera out and get great pictures of the parade on my March trip. I got there early, scoped out a great spot just behind a group who was going to remain seated throughout the parade, only to get edged out by there adults at the very last minute.

I was determined not to allow that to happen this time, so at 2:00, an hour before the parade started, I took my place on Main Street. There wasn't a whole lot to do since I was by myself, so I spent some time catching up on Instagram and stalking the Pandora wait times. Flight of Passage was only 180 minutes :-)scared1:) but compared to what it was opening day, this news was actually encouraging.

To help pass the time waiting for parades, there were three high school marching bands. There were some parents and grandparents on the left side of me. They were beaming with pride and even got a little teary eyed. It was a nice moment to see - they were so proud, as they should be. What an accomplishment for their kids!

I liked this color guard the best - they had Mickey hats!

DSC_0029_zpsemejnmc2.jpg

And I liked these uniforms the best...they reminded me of the flying monkeys in Wizard of Oz for some reason...

DSC_0033_zpsiuicym6o.jpg

And these guys had BY FAR the most festive hats!

DSC_0043_zps4toerqv3.jpg

Congrats to all who got to participate - what an awesome experience. And glad the force was with them having to wear those hot band uniforms while they marched in 90+ degree weather!

Finally, at long last - it was time for the parade! Would my pictures turn out? Well...let's see!

DSC_0049_zps0qiqpwet.jpg

Up first was Beauty & the Beast, my favorite Disney animated film, and now my favorite live-action film as well.

DSC_0072-Edit_zpsrbyrbab8.jpg

DSC_0072_zpsyd91s6ub.jpg

DSC_0073_zps1tv22ejr.jpg

DSC_0077_zps3swvxhjq.jpg

They brought along their friends Prince Charming and Cinderella

DSC_0080-Edit_zpsdqkfiw7a.jpg

DSC_0085_zpsgyd2tsiu.jpg

I positively love all of the little details on all of the floats - but this one, I think, might be my favorite.

I did manage to get this nice picture of Anna, but missed Elsa.

DSC_0086-EDIT_zpsuuciibr5.jpg

Next up...Tangled!

DSC_0090-EDIT_zpscfvgzacf.jpg

DSC_0094-EDIT_zpsgoqwcpo3.jpg

DSC_0106-EDIT_zpszxlz3nbw.jpg

I love how detailed even Rapunzel's hair is!

DSC_0110_zpsuwctp3os.jpg

The Little Mermaid is the first Disney animated feature I remember watching as a kid. This parade captures the beauty and the colors of the film perfectly.

DSC_0117-EDIT_zpszwj5q9xm.jpg

DSC_0119-EDIT_zpssu6garrp.jpg

DSC_0124_zpsp0burvmt.jpg

DSC_0138-EDIT_zpsblwitnq6.jpg

The Peter Pan float is always amazing, featuring the Lost Boys, Peter Pan & Wendy, Captain Hook and Tinker Bell.

DSC_0158_zpsbnd5er58.jpg

DSC_0160-EDIT_zpspqpuqtt0.jpg

DSC_0166_zpsrhui5ard.jpg

DSC_0175_zpseyxz1tbs.jpg

DSC_0178-EDIT_zpstfxpv395.jpg

DSC_0180-EDIT_zpszst0zqrs.jpg

DSC_0183-EDIT_zpszm7enso5.jpg

DSC_0188-EDIT_zpsr4qfvxir.jpg

So far, the parade was off to a great start! And the sun, who had been struggling all afternoon to come out from behind the clouds, finally managed to peak out just a little.

I strolled up to the fancy Annual Pass ticket line...where it quickly became apparent this line was about twice as long as all the other lines. So I moved into a normal line and was inside in no time.

This is hilarious when this happens! It's like when 20 people are in the express line at the grocery store and there's nobody in the regular lines.

In my head, I was picturing the location of Friar's Nook where Sleepy Hollow actually is. No worries - the My Disney Experience app got me pointed in the right direction!

I'm not sure I could find this in MK without a map...hmmm...

Worst of all, was that cabbage on top - which was plain, raw cabbage. I was hopeful it would have had a coleslaw type dressing on it, so combined with the barbecue chicken, it would be like a classic barbecue sandwich. It just wasn't the case.

That sounds really weird and gross...

Congrats to all who got to participate - what an awesome experience. And glad the force was with them having to wear those hot band uniforms while they marched in 90+ degree weather!

That always amazes me when people do parades and things in Florida heat in heavy full costumes! I could never! I'm always sweating buckets in a t-shirt and shorts!

Excellent parade pictures! I'm so glad you didn't have a repeat of your bad experience from your last trip at the parade! What camera are you using here?

Your parade pictures are so good you got some great shots. I love this parade the floats are incredible.

Your parade pictures are so good! One of my (minor) regrets about my trip is not taking any pictures of the parade.

Looks like a great start to your trip! You got some really nice parade pics.
Following!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter