Booking fastpass for family which includes child in wheelchair

I Believe in Pixie dust

Earning My Ears
Hello!
This is my first post, so I hope I am doing this correctly!!
My family of 5 are going to Disneyworld in early December and I had a question on booking fast passes. My family consists of myself, my husband, my 11 year old daughter who has cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair, my 9 year old son, and my 7 year old son (who is terrified of rides).
My question is how do we ride a ride that is not wheelchair accessible (i.e. Space Mountain), since my husband or myself need to stay with my daughter. Is our only option one of us ride with our seven year old and the other rides alone when the first two are done? Would rider swap even apply to our situation so the second adult can ride with our son? From what I have read rider swap is only based on height. I need to book our fast passes in a few weeks and I am confused on what I should do. I hope my question makes sense!

rider swap is NOT based on height. yes you can request it if the 7 yo won't ride or your daughter can't. I believe technically the 9 yo can ride alone, but of course thats up to you and your comfort level.

can your daughter transfer at all? I am fuzzy on which ride is which but there is one that if she wants to ride don't waste a FP on it as you will be sent directly to the exit to board from the rear. is that Space Mountain? I ma sure the folks here who go a lot more often know the answer.

Thanks! She has no torso control so she needs to stay in her wheelchair. So should I only be making fast passes for myself, my husband and my 9 year old son for rides she cannot go on?

you should be able to use rider swap but some CM will not let you if there is no one in your group that is too small. with this said I think you will find it easier to get if she physically cannot. If there is something that is a must ride for some one I would FP it to be sure this person can ride it. in case you get a CM that will not give you a rider swap.

Hello!
This is my first post, so I hope I am doing this correctly!!
My family of 5 are going to Disneyworld in early December and I had a question on booking fast passes. My family consists of myself, my husband, my 11 year old daughter who has cerebral palsy and is in a wheelchair, my 9 year old son, and my 7 year old son (who is terrified of rides).
My question is how do we ride a ride that is not wheelchair accessible (i.e. Space Mountain), since my husband or myself need to stay with my daughter. Is our only option one of us ride with our seven year old and the other rides alone when the first two are done? Would rider swap even apply to our situation so the second adult can ride with our son? From what I have read rider swap is only based on height. I need to book our fast passes in a few weeks and I am confused on what I should do. I hope my question makes sense!

I would definitely get one for Toy Story Mania if you want to ride that one. When we were there last October, my granddaughter who was almost 2 (December birthday) was asleep in her stroller. They said they do not give rider swap on that one because everyone can ride -no height requirement. Not sure if it was just the CM we had, but if this is something you really want to ride, I would get a FP for it, just to be sure.

Yes, rider swap is only available at attractions with a height restriction. Neither of my kids are brave enough for Haunted Mansion so it's been 9 years since we've gone on it. I wish we could swap!!

I've never done this exact thing, but have done pieces of it, so I think the following will work....

Assuming i understood your situation correctly and everyone is tall enough for Space Mountain (44inches).
11yo daughter cannot ride, 7yo son does not want to ride.

I *think* the following might work well for you, but others will correct me if I've gotten a bit wrong.

Rider Swap Option
- Get fastpasses for Dad and 9yo for SM
- Everyone approach the fastpass line, explain the your 11yo CANNOT ride and you'd like to do rider swap (Sometimes they will only give rider swap for someone who is too short, but I've also seen it happen for disabilities, unfortunately this is at the discretion of the cast member, and something you can't guarantee ahead of time. The WDW website says it's also for those who do not want to ride, but in reality, I've often seen rider swap refused for that, so I just wouldn't mention that your son who's tall enough doesn't want to ride.)
- Then Dad and 9yo ride
- If you got the rider swap pass, then Mom uses the rider swap pass to ride with 9yo (9yo rides twice)

Alternative, if you don't want to chance the rider swap pass
- Get fastpasses for Dad, Mom, 9yo, 7yo for Space Mountain
- Dad rides with 9yo, while Mom, 11yo and 7yo do something else
- Then trade magicbands (or tickets) for the 9yo and 7yo
- Mom rides with 9yo, while Dad, 11yo and 7yo do something else

Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

I've never done this exact thing, but have done pieces of it, so I think the following will work....

Assuming i understood your situation correctly and everyone is tall enough for Space Mountain (44inches).
11yo daughter cannot ride, 7yo son does not want to ride.

I *think* the following might work well for you, but others will correct me if I've gotten a bit wrong.

Rider Swap Option
- Get fastpasses for Dad and 9yo for SM
- Everyone approach the fastpass line, explain the your 11yo CANNOT ride and you'd like to do rider swap (Sometimes they will only give rider swap for someone who is too short, but I've also seen it happen for disabilities, unfortunately this is at the discretion of the cast member, and something you can't guarantee ahead of time. The WDW website says it's also for those who do not want to ride, but in reality, I've often seen rider swap refused for that, so I just wouldn't mention that your son who's tall enough doesn't want to ride.)
- Then Dad and 9yo ride
- If you got the rider swap pass, then Mom uses the rider swap pass to ride with 9yo (9yo rides twice)

Alternative, if you don't want to chance the rider swap pass
- Get fastpasses for Dad, Mom, 9yo, 7yo for Space Mountain
- Dad rides with 9yo, while Mom, 11yo and 7yo do something else
- Then trade magicbands (or tickets) for the 9yo and 7yo
- Mom rides with 9yo, while Dad, 11yo and 7yo do something else

Good luck and I hope you have a wonderful vacation!
Thank you so much! After thinking about it, i will probably just go with your last scenario. Get fastpass for everyone except my daughter and swap bands. I would hate to not get a fastpass thinking we can rider swap and not get to ride. Our last trip was my daughter's wish trip so we didn't have to worry about all this!

I would definitely get one for Toy Story Mania if you want to ride that one. When we were there last October, my granddaughter who was almost 2 (December birthday) was asleep in her stroller. They said they do not give rider swap on that one because everyone can ride -no height requirement. Not sure if it was just the CM we had, but if this is something you really want to ride, I would get a FP for it, just to be sure.
Luckily this ride has a car that we can wheel in her wheelchair. It is fantastic, and she just loved it! For this ride I will be getting fastpass for the entire family! Thanks for the tip!

Based on your last comment, I'm thinking you are not considering a DAS pass for your daughter? I know every child is unique, but since you're new here (and really so I am, so welcome :)), I would point out that if waiting in queues is a problem for your daughter, something other than mobility that her wheelchair can solve, it may be helpful for y'all to speak to a cast member at guest services to see about getting a DAS pass for your daughter. If that applies to her, you can use that for rides she will ride and save fastpasses for other family members for rides she won't be riding.

You may very well know all that and have your own plan, but I'd hate for you not to know about something that could be really helpful, like the DAS. The first four posts in this really long thread have tons of great info:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

Based on your last comment, I'm thinking you are not considering a DAS pass for your daughter? I know every child is unique, but since you're new here (and really so I am, so welcome :)), I would point out that if waiting in queues is a problem for your daughter, something other than mobility that her wheelchair can solve, it may be helpful for y'all to speak to a cast member at guest services to see about getting a DAS pass for your daughter. If that applies to her, you can use that for rides she will ride and save fastpasses for other family members for rides she won't be riding.

You may very well know all that and have your own plan, but I'd hate for you not to know about something that could be really helpful, like the DAS. The first four posts in this really long thread have tons of great info:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/
Yes, I have read every thread on here relating to DAS!! I am worried that for whatever reason they do not give one to my daughter and I will not have made fastpasses and will have to wait in line for all the rides she can go on. There is no real criteria (very vague) so I wasn't sure what to do. She is TPN dependent so we need to hook her up to that while in the park and give her medicine and fluids through her g-tube and change her diaper at the first aid throughout the day, but didn't know if that would all 'count' on getting a DAS. I figured with the right plan and fastpasses we can make it work. Is there someone I can speak to ahead of time to be sure that we would get a DAS?

Yes, I have read every thread on here relating to DAS!! I am worried that for whatever reason they do not give one to my daughter and I will not have made fastpasses and will have to wait in line for all the rides she can go on. There is no real criteria (very vague) so I wasn't sure what to do. She is TPN dependent so we need to hook her up to that while in the park and give her medicine and fluids through her g-tube and change her diaper at the first aid throughout the day, but didn't know if that would all 'count' on getting a DAS. I figured with the right plan and fastpasses we can make it work. Is there someone I can speak to ahead of time to be sure that we would get a DAS?

There is no number you can call to see if you can get a DAS card or not only the CM at GR can tell you if you can get one and you will not know this ahead of time.

for the most part, the DAS is for people that cannot be in lines at all if what your child needs is a wheelchair and just needing to go to First aid ever 3 or 4 hours to disconnect-reconnect, change her. I would say no to the DAS. ( if you think of a normal family they would have to make stops for bathroom, food, resting thought out the day too, yes I know a little different for you)

When/if you do want to ask about the DAS, DX does not matter but what she needs in line. Like your child need to be able to stay in her wheel chair for the lines, She cannot do steps, These are things that she needs inline, and it will be your job to think of why waiting outside of the line will be better for here than waiting inside the line, that the normal family does not deal with.

Even with the DAS, it is best to set up FP too, for people that need the DAS this can make the trip so much better.

from what you have said it sounds like she does not have a problem with the waiting part it is just you need to be able to go to first aid to connect reconned change her. This is a very iffy area as most family will need to stop and change feed, let a child nap, thought out the day. SO most likely you will just have to plane around these things, but you can still stop by GR and talk to them and ask then is there any way to make your trip better if you have concerns about how to do something/ or if you would like her to be able to do something but she will need accommodation for it.

There is no number you can call to see if you can get a DAS card or not only the CM at GR can tell you if you can get one and you will not know this ahead of time.

for the most part, the DAS is for people that cannot be in lines at all if what your child needs is a wheelchair and just needing to go to First aid ever 3 or 4 hours to disconnect-reconnect, change her. I would say no to the DAS. ( if you think of a normal family they would have to make stops for bathroom, food, resting thought out the day too, yes I know a little different for you)

When/if you do want to ask about the DAS, DX does not matter but what she needs in line. Like your child need to be able to stay in her wheel chair for the lines, She cannot do steps, These are things that she needs inline, and it will be your job to think of why waiting outside of the line will be better for here than waiting inside the line, that the normal family does not deal with.

Even with the DAS, it is best to set up FP too, for people that need the DAS this can make the trip so much better.

from what you have said it sounds like she does not have a problem with the waiting part it is just you need to be able to go to first aid to connect reconned change her. This is a very iffy area as most family will need to stop and change feed, let a child nap, thought out the day. SO most likely you will just have to plane around these things, but you can still stop by GR and talk to them and ask then is there any way to make your trip better if you have concerns about how to do something/ or if you would like her to be able to do something but she will need accommodation for it.

That is what I thought and didn't think she would be eligible. Between rope drop and fastpass we should be ok. Our family isn't so big on rides, we just want to enjoy the Disney Magic walking around and taking everything in. We can't believe we are going again, so that in itself is awesome! Thanks everyone for taking time out to answer my questions!

Thank you, that

That is what I thought and didn't think she would be eligible. Between rope drop and fastpass we should be ok. Our family isn't so big on rides, we just want to enjoy the Disney Magic walking around and taking everything in. We can't believe we are going again, so that in itself is awesome! Thanks everyone for taking time out answer my questions!

Would you mind if I send you a privet message?

oops you need 10 posts for me to send you one but once you get there can I send you one?

Would you mind if I send you a privet message?

oops you need 10 posts for me to send you one but once you get there can I send you one?
Absolutely! I hope I can figure out how to find it!lol! I will post a few more times tonight, so you should be able to tonight!

Absolutely! I hope I can figure out how to find it!lol! I will post a few more times tonight, so you should be able to tonight!
It will be in the top right it will say your username, inbox ( I think this is where if you have a message you will see like a 1) and then alerts this is where if someone replays to something you posted in it will tell you.

remember if she does get a DAS she must be riding the ride to use the DAS. if she is at First Aid rest of group can not use DAS

rider swap is NOT based on height. yes you can request it if the 7 yo won't ride or your daughter can't. I believe technically the 9 yo can ride alone, but of course thats up to you and your comfort level.

can your daughter transfer at all? I am fuzzy on which ride is which but there is one that if she wants to ride don't waste a FP on it as you will be sent directly to the exit to board from the rear. is that Space Mountain? I ma sure the folks here who go a lot more often know the answer.

It is supposed to be based on height - but sometimes the CMs let that slide. That is up to them.

Thank you so much! After thinking about it, i will probably just go with your last scenario. Get fastpass for everyone except my daughter and swap bands. I would hate to not get a fastpass thinking we can rider swap and not get to ride. Our last trip was my daughter's wish trip so we didn't have to worry about all this!

What did you do on the Wish trip for an attraction your daughter could not ride?

It is supposed to be based on height - but sometimes the CMs let that slide. That is up to them.

What did you do on the Wish trip for an attraction your daughter could not ride?
Either my husband or I went with my 9 year old son while the other waited outside the ride with the other two children. It meant that one of us didn't experience the ride. We only had one day at each park, so we had to prioritize what each of us really wanted to do, and we ensured that we went on all the wheelchair accessible rides first. This trip was for her after all. So we only had time to go on a handful of rides that were not wheelchair accessible. On this trip we will be staying longer and can visit a park more than once and therefore have more time for everyone to go on the rides they want and didn't get to experience on our first trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter