Booked the dining plan - here's why it's "worth it"

Ive been debating whether to upgrade our 'free' regular dining to deluxe for a while..
I thought I'd decided-then flipped back to $$ on a gift card.

Well-I've finally done it & upgraded to d ddp.
Im not that good at math :sad2:
But I'm sure it more than covers our costs & im delighted it's all taken care of in an advance. :flower1:

You're the type family that Disney loves!! :D

Just back, ran my numbers. I came out ahead again even though I did not use all my snack credits, only ordered an alcoholic beverage at half my meals, didn't use the resort mug, and sometimes ordered the cheapest thing on the menu or used snack credits for $3 items. Was thinking OOP for the next trip, but nope.

Just back, ran my numbers. I came out ahead again even though I did not use all my snack credits, only ordered an alcoholic beverage at half my meals, didn't use the resort mug, and sometimes ordered the cheapest thing on the menu or used snack credits for $3 items. Was thinking OOP for the next trip, but nope.
Something I do when calculating whether the plan is worth it or not, is to not include the snacks. Or only one snack at $5.

That way if I use up credits at the end, it isn't a waste.

Where did you eat and did you have kids on the plan as well or are you solo?

"Kids" are 24 and 22, so three adults. TS at Ohana, Coral Reef (first and last time for that one), Skipper Canteen, and Marrakesh. CS at Gasparilla Grill, BOG, Satuli, and DeLuxe Burger.

I run the numbers (I love spreadsheets), and the dollar amounts are always really close. I do not assume everyone orders the most expensive items. Part of this could be that the TS venues we select are pricier?

While we could probably save money sharing meals, in that scenario, somebody almost always has to compromise. I want everybody to order whatever they want. We don't go annually, so not like you can try something next time. Next time could be years away. Sometimes, we'll share a CS meal but then use the leftover credit for a breakfast we can share the next morning.

Everybody is legal, so order that wine.

We fly, so if we wanted to pack our own snacks or light breakfasts, we'd have to figure out a way to get it all in into the luggage, which is kind of a pain. Anyway, we will eat at the resort/in the parks for the duration of the trip.

I love spreadsheets, too! We've done the DxDP twice now and both times we've come out $300-400 ish ahead. Like you, this is without using all snack credits, not maxing alcohol, not ordering a lot of desserts, and not ordering most expensive thing on menu. It's been a lot of fun, too. We tend to do signatures and lots of character meals. My DS21 is special needs, and he can't get enough of characters. I did a write up and just posed an update. Should have posted it over here, but it's in Dining Reviews if you are interested. https://www.disboards.com/threads/i...anning-mini-reviews-thoughts-updated.3624113/ We are going again in April, and I may try to keep track of what everyone actually eats so people can see how/what we're ordering.

"Kids" are 24 and 22, so three adults. TS at Ohana, Coral Reef (first and last time for that one), Skipper Canteen, and Marrakesh. CS at Gasparilla Grill, BOG, Satuli, and DeLuxe Burger.
Interesting ...

We have not considered the DDP since alcohol was included and I do enjoy a cocktail with dinner. I just did a quick calculation of what *I* would order at those restaurants and then calculated how much they would be OOP with my AP/DVC discounts. I came out ahead with the DDP using $15 at dinner for a cocktail and $9 for a beer/wine at lunch except at BOG which is "dry" at lunch :drinking: . The value of the meals on the DDP was $328 ($82 per day) and the discounted amount was $305 ($76 per day) and the DDP is $75.50 per day and I didn't the two snacks or the mugs. We almost never use the mugs even when we get them so I never count them but we do snack.

THEN, I removed half of the alcoholic beverages from my OOP calculation (like you said you did) and I'm down to $65 per day. Hmmm. Add in $8 worth of snacks and I'm at $73 per day which is less than the DDP. I admit that it is close to "break even" though. Still, I'm not sure how I would "come out ahead" unless I had a $9-$15 beverage with every meal.

I didn't come out way ahead, like I would have had all three of us ordered alcohol with every meal where it was available, but enough that I won't hesitate to get to the plan again. Used my receipts for the TS totals and menus to figure out what I had spent on the CS. Might be that one kid's $15 alcoholic shake at DeLuxe offset the lower end $18 vegetable curry stew and juice she ordered at Skipper or that the almost $7 fruit and cheese tray snack at Sunshine Seasons made up for the $3.69 pasta salad cup.

I didn't come out way ahead, like I would have had all three of us ordered alcohol with every meal where it was available, but enough that I won't hesitate to get to the plan again. Used my receipts for the TS totals and menus to figure out what I had spent on the CS. Might be that one kid's $15 alcoholic shake at DeLuxe offset the lower end $18 vegetable curry stew and juice she ordered at Skipper or that the almost $7 fruit and cheese tray snack at Sunshine Seasons made up for the $3.69 pasta salad cup.

So DLux Burger allowed the alcoholic shake? You might want to go to the "actual experiences" thread and detail exactly what alcoholic and specialty beverages you were able to get. That will help others looking to maximize the plan and just plan for where they want to eat.

You can flip this to say that no one has to feel like they have to order the most expensive thing and desserts instead of what they really want or can eat.
and that's what it was like for me and my wife on our most recent trip she felt like she had to order things you normally wouldn't because we already prepaid for that price amount we also drink water we don't drink sodas we also don't eat dessert we had plenty of extra meals and snack credits on our last trip that on this trip we decided to pay out of pocket we plan to save a lot more money and get what we want

I'm debating... I have the DDP booked for our trip in August. If I can get free dining, I'll keep the plan, but if I can't, I might cancel it. I'll put the money on a gift card and use that specifically for all food purchases. My big debate is because I had bariatric surgery and I just don't eat that much anymore; I can't. I'm not worried about breakfasts and lunches. DD24 and I always share those meals; we'd use 1QS at breakfast and 1QS at lunch, so no "savings" there. HOWEVER... TS dinners have me wondering. We are doing 2 buffets (Boma and Biergarten) so no savings there, but I might be able to save $$ at the other sit-downs (Sanaa, Raglan Rd., and Narcoossee's). I know quantity-wise I could easily survive by ordering an appetizer as my meal, or an app and soup, but... Do I WANT to live off the appetizer menu during my vacation? I love lamb, duck, seafood, and dining is always part of our vacation. Even if it means leaving food on my plate/taking a doggie bag (and it will), do I want my favorite foods even if it's NOT cost-effective? I'm debating...

I'm debating... I have the DDP booked for our trip in August. If I can get free dining, I'll keep the plan, but if I can't, I might cancel it. I'll put the money on a gift card and use that specifically for all food purchases. My big debate is because I had bariatric surgery and I just don't eat that much anymore; I can't. I'm not worried about breakfasts and lunches. DD24 and I always share those meals; we'd use 1QS at breakfast and 1QS at lunch, so no "savings" there. HOWEVER... TS dinners have me wondering. We are doing 2 buffets (Boma and Biergarten) so no savings there, but I might be able to save $$ at the other sit-downs (Sanaa, Raglan Rd., and Narcoossee's). I know quantity-wise I could easily survive by ordering an appetizer as my meal, or an app and soup, but... Do I WANT to live off the appetizer menu during my vacation? I love lamb, duck, seafood, and dining is always part of our vacation. Even if it means leaving food on my plate/taking a doggie bag (and it will), do I want my favorite foods even if it's NOT cost-effective? I'm debating...

I don't know about you, but if I paid for the dining plan, I'd definitely overeat. I don't have the same mentality when it's free dining though. That's why I'd never pay for it.

I don't know about you, but if I paid for the dining plan, I'd definitely overeat. I don't have the same mentality when it's free dining though. That's why I'd never pay for it.

I can't overeat... I don't have much of a stomach anymore, with capacity of about 1 cup. Much more than that and it comes back up. :crazy2: SO... pay less to eat stuff I might not really want but at least won't waste, or pay more, eat what I want, leave the rest. Financial dilemma. I think if I can score free dining we'll do it; if not, I'll put the same money on a gift card. At least if I don't spend it all, it'll be there for our next Disney trip!

I can't overeat... I don't have much of a stomach anymore, with capacity of about 1 cup. Much more than that and it comes back up. :crazy2: SO... pay less to eat stuff I might not really want but at least won't waste, or pay more, eat what I want, leave the rest. Financial dilemma. I think if I can score free dining we'll do it; if not, I'll put the same money on a gift card. At least if I don't spend it all, it'll be there for our next Disney trip!
Either way. Enjoy! :goodvibes

I go back and forth on this. On our first trip in 2011 we got the regular dining plan. 1 TS, 1 CS, 1 snack. Our twins were 3. It was such a waste. Our picky kids ate nothing. Dessert for every meal went untouched. Even the uncrustables were "yucky" because they were too squishy. Total nightmare. Our snack credits were wasted. Table Service meals took FOREVER, and we felt locked into plans that we hated. We swore to never do the dining plan again.

Now... Our kids are 9. Still "kids" per Disney pricing. Better eaters. And booze is included for us grown ups. We're trying the QS plan. We usually spend about $1k on food for the week anyway, so at the worst it will be a wash. The kids love snacks, and uncrustables (since I never buy that for them at home) and the kids also eat breakfast, while my husband and I are usually fine with just coffee, so our snacks will usually cover a muffin or whatever for their breakfasts. We'll see how it goes. I will definitely be tracking it and comparing at the end of our trip.

As for most things, it's a YMMV situation. Every family is different. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I definitely do not think the dining plan works for everyone.

Edited to add that we've held APs for 3 years since that first trip. We've been there at least 14 times since that first trip and never felt the need for the dining plan again. It has been 2 years since our last trip, and with the current changes to the plan, and with our kids still counting as "kids", we decided to give it another go. Basically, we feel like we have a good handle on the Disney Dining situation. The DDP just never really fit our travel style. I wish they offered something between the QSDDP and the regular plan. Something with 2-3 Table Service credits, and the rest QS would be perfect, to be honest.

Last edited:
Already running the numbers for my next trip. Was hoping to score free dining, but it looks like my room only bounce back rate is a better deal with only 2 of us eating. Now, to see if I can save money paying oop. We do use snack credits for breakfast. I’m not a huge drinker, but the h would enjoy a drink with dinner (and he absolutely will not order one if paying oop). Wish we were one of those couples that drank only tap water, felt stuffed after splitting an appetizer, and hated dessert....but alas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter