• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Bonnet Creek

sandramaac

<font color=blue>Needs to look harder...<br><font
Just back from Disney (Poly conceirge over July 4th week and now 9 days at Beach Club). Saw sings for the new Bonnet Creek. I have not seen any mention of it on the boards. I was told it will be a new resort, geared for groups that come in ( dance groups, cheerleaders etc). That is what a CM told me.

I'm pretty sure this Bonnet Creek is not a Disney property. It is right on the edge of Disney property but not being built by them. In this general area, is also Disney's Pop Century. This value resort was intended to help house all the groups that come to events at Disney's Wide World of Sports as well as regular WDW guests.

Disney does own the the Bonnet Creek golf area, home to two golf courses over by Ft Wilderness. This is the site of a proposed DVC development that is currently on hold until they build the DI units.

If you are referencing the property situated between Caribbean Beach Resort and I-4, it is a hotel being developed by a company other than Disney. For some reason, the land aquisition folks back in the 1960's did not purchase that particular piece of land. So, it is now finally being developed by the other company. Since there is no other means of getting to the property, Disney must provide them with an easement. So, it appears that access will be roughly where the construction entrance is now. Given its location and means of access, many folks will think it is a Disney resort.

As I did until I read this post!!
Those land aquisition folks will soon be kicking themselves (if they aren't already). Many folks WILL think it's a WDW resort. Watch it be booked solid, while nearby spots (like Pop century and CBR) languish.
Unless I'm missing something, the Bonnet Creek developer has hit paydirt.

Say--they aren't connected with Universal by any chance???

I just found this description. I didn't realize it woud be timeshares and then additional development. No wonder Disney is pushing to get DI built.

Bonnet Creek to get Fairfield time shares

By Todd Pack | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted June 27, 2002

Orlando-based Fairfield Resorts Inc. said Wednesday it will be the first company to built at the 480-acre Bonnet Creek Resort, which is bordered on three sides by Walt Disney World.

Fairfield said it will buy 46 acres from Bonnet Creek Venture Ltd. for a 744-unit time-share resort.

The deal is expected to close on Oct. 1. Construction will start in 2003, and the Fairfield Orlando at Bonnet Creek should open in June 2004.

Fairfield's agreement with Bonnet Creek gives the company an option to buy a second 12-acre parcel that can accommodate another 350 units.Franz Hanning, Fairfield's president and chief executive, called Bonnet Creek "the area's premier location for resort development."

Bonnet Creek is between Interstate 4 and Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort. Fairfield's resort will be accessible from Buena Vista Drive, which runs across Disney property.

That location should give Fairfield an edge in Central Florida's competitive time-share market, Hanning said, but its toughest competition could come from Disney itself.

Disney has announced plans to replace a quarter of its Disney Institute resort with 192 time-share units. Disney's Beach Club Villas time-share complex is scheduled to open July 1.

Bonnet Creek to get Fairfield time shares

By Todd Pack | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted June 27, 2002

If I understand it correctly, that piece of land is bordered by disney property on three sides, but not the fourth (I-4). I really haven't been clear if Disney will have to give the easement or if they will have to build an exit from I-4, maybe that has been decided.

Also, unless I dreamt it, there is a weird history to the land - I think I read (again, I may have dreamt it), that it was somehow owned by Shaing Kai Sheck (SIC really badly) before the Chinese revolution somehow, or maybe held by a Chinese corporation. That sounds sort of nuts so maybe I made it up.

What I didn't understand is that the land is 480 acres and this development is only on about 10% of it - could end up another whole "resort drive" downtown disney type of area I guess - high rise hotels will really hurt the sight lines here.

DR

DR

Thanks to all for this info!! My guess is that they'll sell all their units--in time.
I seem to recall at least one construction/truck entrance is right off Disney property, which suggests an "entrance" would be too. But having an entrance right off I-4 would be handy also.
Should be interesting--!!

If I remember correctly, the Bonnet Creek property borders Osceola Parkway to the south which in turn goes right to I-4. To the north the interchange with the freeway spur from I-4 to Epcot is very close by. So traffic from that property should have little impact on WDW except when going to and from WDW.

If Disney is smart (and able to) it should force the Bonnet Creek developers to make roadway improvements as development progresses.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

I'd really much prefer to see the entrance to this parcel off either I-4 or Osceola (or even direct from Epcot Center Drive) than Buena Vista. Placing the main entrance wher the construction road is now leaves guests with the distinct impression this development is located in Walt Disney World, when it is not. Access by any of these other routes would largely route traffic in/out of the development without so obviously passing through WDW's own properties.

Disney wasn't able to buy this property for whatever reasons, so now it is being developed by Fairfield and, eventually, other companies. But why couldn't Disney be one of the developers? Strike a deal similar to the one Fairfield has and build what Disney wants there (perhaps some sort of Hotel Plaza type arrangement would work). The point is, Disney would retain far greater control over the development. I'm sure the owners would extract a hefty price if Disney was the developer, but the idea of multiple, unrelated developments here is certainly unappealing (particularly if visible from CBR; there potentially are worse visual backdrops than Pop Century).

Of course, all of this has long since occurred to Disney. Was it that they really could not avoid this intrusive development, or was Disney just unwilling to spend the money to buy the land?

If the owners of that land already have the easement to access WDW via Buena Vista, they will certainly want to use it and look like part of WDW. But WDW is not obliged to give them lots of green time on the traffic light and the right way to manage development is for the developer to build more lanes at the intersection.

Private developers are generally not given the right to open their own interchange on a freeway.

I am led to believe that Walt Disney passed up that piece of land because it was more expensive which in turn may have been because its owner back in the 1960's got wind of Disney's coming.

WDW has enough land of its own to do whatever it wants to do in the way of theme parks, resorts, etc.

Not sure if this is related but I was reading on another forum that there is a controversial (sp?) matter involving Disney, the Celebration residents, and some developers that intend on putting up other resorts and/or timeshares. This whole story sounds like the same one. Anyways, I got the impression that the land borders the town of Celebration and I-4, and that Disney is in the process of selling this land now to these other developers. Not something that slipped thru Disney's fingers years ago. HMMM.... very interesting. All I can say is the residents at Celebration are NOT happy! I'll see if I can find a link and post.

Here's the link-it's hard to follow but if you read other posts on this forum it starts to make sense.
http://34747.com/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=1&TopicID=243&PagePosition=3

I think this is different. I believe this development is on the north side of I-4. Celebration and the other development is on the south side of I-4.

It's definitely two different development situations. I believe the Celebration development is the result of a sale by Disney.

Here is one tidbit...a Fairfield Press Release

Fairfield Resorts Reaches Definitive Agreement For Orlando Bonnet Creek Purchase
Planned Resort Will Draw Up To 55,000 Vacationing Families Annually
Press Release: Fairfield Resorts, Inc.
June 27, 2002
ORLANDO, FL -- Fairfield Resorts, Inc., the largest vacation ownership company in the world, today announced that it has reached a definitive agreement with Bonnet Creek Venture, Ltd. to purchase 46 acres at the Bonnet Creek Resort development in Orlando, Fla. Fairfield Resorts plans to construct a 744-unit timeshare resort at the location beginning in early 2003. The transaction is expected to close October 1, 2002.

Fairfield Resorts will be the first to build at the 480-acre master-planned Bonnet Creek site, located just west of Interstate 4 and accessible via Buena Vista Drive. The company retains a future purchase option for a second 12-acre parcel that can accommodate an additional 350 units.

At completion, Fairfield Orlando at Bonnet Creek will draw up to 55,000 vacationing families to Orlando every year. "Vacationing in Orlando is an American tradition, and growing our presence here is a top priority," said Franz S. Hanning, president and CEO, Fairfield Resorts. "Bonnet Creek is the area's premier location for resort development, and we're excited at the prospect of putting our guests closer than ever to the attractions that have made Orlando the family vacation capital of the world."

Fairfield Resorts transferred its corporate headquarters to Orlando from Little Rock in 1998, and currently has four area resorts, including Fairfield Orlando at Cypress Palms, Fairfield Orlando at Star Island, the Orlando International Resort Club, and Fairfield Daytona Beach at Ocean Walk Resort. More than 50,000 families stayed at a Fairfield Resorts property in the Orlando area last year alone, and an additional 100,000 families purchased Fairfield vacation packages with Orlando-area destinations.

"Owning timeshare can provide access to resorts anywhere in the world, yet Orlando remains a top destination among Fairfield owners," Hanning continued. "We believe in Orlando, and as long as families enjoy vacationing, Fairfield Resorts will continue to expand its presence in this region."

Fairfield Orlando at Bonnet Creek is the latest in a succession of newly announced resorts and continued expansion for the company. Over the last 24 months, Fairfield Resorts has constructed and opened new resorts in Las Vegas, Nev., Daytona Beach, Fla., and Williamsburg, Va., while also acquiring properties in Anaheim, Calif., and Durango, Colo. In addition, the company continues its integration of Equivest Finance, Inc., a resort developer with 29 properties, acquired earlier this year by Fairfield Resorts' parent company, Cendant Corporation.

About Fairfield Resorts
Fairfield Resorts, Inc., with more than 452,000 vacation-owning households, is the largest vacation ownership company in the world. Fairfield Resorts specializes in the development, marketing and sales of innovative travel and leisure products, including vacation ownership intervals at the company's 64 nationwide resorts. Fairfield Resorts was one of the first U.S. developers to move from traditional fixed-week timeshare ownership to a points-based exchange program with the launch of FairShare Plus in 1991. Fairfield Resorts is a subsidiary of Cendant Corporation (NYSE: CD), a diversified global provider of business and consumer services primarily within real estate and travel. Visit Fairfield Resorts online at http://www.fairfieldresorts.com.

And another but I couldn't get to the Sentinel article in Aug 2000
that this came from...

From The Orlando Sentinel: Speaking of big developments on Disney`s doorstep: The 482-acre Bonnet Creek Resort, which was recently granted authority to issue $60 million in bonds to pay for roads and such, is shrouded in mystery. The land, bordered on three sides by Walt Disney World, has been owned since 1962 by a company with origins in Hong Kong, though it now lists an address in the Cayman Islands. The names of its owners have never surfaced, but the Orlando rumor mill has long maintained that at least one of them was nationalist Chinese leader Chiang Kai-shek, who died in 1975. As one longtime real estate attorney said, "We never knew for sure, but there was never really any doubt." The attorney for the estate that controls the land could not be reached for comment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter