BOG paper plates only

No wild assumptions are necessary - the decision to move from reusable plates & utensils to paper & plastic is not likely to be an environmentally friendly decision by Disney.

Even those of us who are Disney-friendly can be bothered by decisions that have negative impacts on the environment.

No company is perfect, but there are clearly many folks who would prefer that Disney be better environmental stewards.

Disney can lead on this front (as they had with same-sex benefits for their employees for more than a generation).

A move from reusable to paper & plastic waste is a move in the wrong direction - no matter the motivation.

OK. Sure. But look at the responses that have since been posted. It seems there might be a very real reason for this change, but because someone threw out a comment that amounted to "I guess they're trying to go green," this thread has descended into so much consternation and unfounded arguing about environmental waste, etc.

I am glad this change is only temporary! My family and I have reservations at BOG on Valentine's! This will be a 1st trip to WDW for several adults in our group!:earsboy:

Thank you for the updates & insights everyone!

OK. Sure. But look at the responses that have since been posted. It seems there might be a very real reason for this change, but because someone threw out a comment that amounted to "I guess they're trying to go green," this thread has descended into so much consternation and unfounded arguing about environmental waste, etc.
Yes, Disney could very well have short-term reasons for paper plates at BOG, but this does not diminish the fact that Disney is often a poor environmental steward at their Parks & Resorts.

I have twice cited just two examples on this Thread: a.) the paper straws in Animal Kingdom versus plastic ones every place else, and b.) the use of plastic utensils in QwikServices places that must be washing their plastic serving trays.

And even where it makes perfectly good sense that Disney predominantly uses paper & plastic (i.e., kiosks), these could be compostable materials that won't take a millennium to decompose.

Yes, Disney could very well have short-term reasons for paper plates at BOG, but this does not diminish the fact that Disney is often a poor environmental steward at their Parks & Resorts.

I have twice cited just two examples on this Thread: a.) the paper straws in Animal Kingdom versus plastic ones every place else, and b.) the use of plastic utensils in QwikServices places that must be washing their plastic serving trays.

And even where it makes perfectly good sense that Disney predominantly uses paper & plastic (i.e., kiosks), these could be compostable materials that won't take a millennium to decompose.
I need a heads up if Disney ever decides to switch to paper straws in all of their parks. I'll start bringing my own plastic ones from home. Those paper ones are awful. I understand and support using them in AK, but wouldn't want them to switch in the other parks.

I need a heads up if Disney ever decides to switch to paper straws in all of their parks. I'll start bringing my own plastic ones from home. Those paper ones are awful. I understand and support using them in AK, but wouldn't want them to switch in the other parks.
Reduce, reuse, recycle....

If you have a need to use a disposable plastic straw that will take a 1,000 years to decompose, then maybe you can offset your environmental footprint by taking fewer plastic bags everyplace else. Just something to think about.

Then again, maybe you prefer adding to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch (and others) that is larger than the country of Mexico.

FWIW, I do my best to leave behind both the plastic lids and straws. I have no idea why a bartender places a swizzle stick in my Margarita with salted rim. You know, I put my lips to the cup.:drinking1

If you have a need to use a disposable plastic straw that will take a 1,000 years to decompose, then maybe you can offset your environmental footprint by taking fewer plastic bags everyplace else. Just something to think about.

Then again, maybe you prefer adding to the Great Pacific Garbage Patch (and others) that is larger than the country of Mexico.

FWIW, I do my best to leave behind both the plastic lids and straws. You know, I put my lips to the cup.:drinking1
And I have sensitive teeth and need a straw. No need for a lecture on the restaurant board.

To be fair, it was more than that.

It's not every day you see someone trying to sell a change to disposable plates and utensils as a green initiative! :laughing:
I know. that's why I love this place so much! And the ensuing argument was entertaining as well. However it turns out the dishwasher is just out of commission for a couple of weeks :duck:

I know. that's why I love this place so much! And the ensuing argument was entertaining as well. However it turns out the dishwasher is just out of commission for a couple of weeks :duck:
I think it just being an operational issue is perfect. I broke out in laughter when I read that.

I couldn't have written a better ending to a more perfect thread!

The "green" argument on the restaurants board is ridiculous. Surely, there's another more appropriate forum here on the Dis.

Is there a link to any semi-credible source that says this is because the diswasher is out of commission? I've seen several articles stating that this is a two week "test" (and nothing about the dishwasher being down), but absolutely nothing other than "a cast member told me" supporting the dishwasher being down argument.

We all know how reliable cast members can be....for inaccurate information, that is.

And I have sensitive teeth and need a straw. No need for a lecture on the restaurant board.
Amen. On both points. I truly detest paper straws. So much so that I actually boycotted a fast food restaurant here in the PNW a few years back when the switched to them in an effort to go green. I know that losing my small amount of business was peanuts and had no true impact but the stupid paper straws did not last long and they went back to plastic straws within a few months. I also have sensitive teeth and use a straw in everything I drink. EVERYTHING. Including my daily hot coffee. I even have favorite straws. I like the straws from Ikea and McDonald's the best because they aren't the skinny ones lol

The "green" argument on the restaurants board is ridiculous. Surely, there's another more appropriate forum here on the Dis.

Is there a link to any semi-credible source that says this is because the diswasher is out of commission? I've seen several articles stating that this is a two week "test" (and nothing about the dishwasher being down), but absolutely nothing other than "a cast member told me" supporting the dishwasher being down argument.

We all know how reliable cast members can be....for inaccurate information, that is.

Exactly what I was thinking. And if the dishwasher is down, how are the dinner dishes being washed? Or is it paper then too?

This is what I've read from other sources as well. The paper plates will only be around for about 2 weeks while the refurb (I heard it is specifically the dish washing equipment that is being upgraded/refurbished) is taking place .

That would be much better to only be short term! The server was one who told me it was because they were trying to be more green.

Exactly what I was thinking. And if the dishwasher is down, how are the dinner dishes being washed? Or is it paper then too?

I don't have a source to link, just what a friend who is an actual CM at BOG told me. It's a refurbishment and expansion of the kitchen area, not just a "dishwasher down." They're apparently doing this and keeping the restaurant open to the best of their abilities even though it's been quite stressful for the CMs working there. Sorry I m unable to provide more proof for you.

FWIW, I do my best to leave behind both the plastic lids and straws. I have no idea why a bartender places a swizzle stick in my Margarita with salted rim. You know, I put my lips to the cup.:drinking1
And you track these items to ensure that they don’t end up in the Pacific dump? Ignorance is bliss.

I don't have a source to link, just what a friend who is an actual CM at BOG told me. It's a refurbishment and expansion of the kitchen area, not just a "dishwasher down." They're apparently doing this and keeping the restaurant open to the best of their abilities even though it's been quite stressful for the CMs working there. Sorry I m unable to provide more proof for you.

This is true. The kitchen is being remodeled and the dishroom is being expanded to better keep up with the work load. It's going to be longer than a few weeks though, likely a few months. I can attest to how difficult it's been since the process has started.

I read on another board that there is a temporary site set up with washing equipment but it's not big enough to handle the faster turnover of lunch dishes so they're using the paper plates for that part of the day. I almost hate to call them "paper plates" because they're a much higher quality than the paper plates at other QS restaurants.

Last edited:
i know they are just doing this to save money, but it's kind of sad...people work so hard to get BOG reservations, and they get paper plates? and lots of the entrees, even at lunch, aren't very cheap.

i know they are just doing this to save money, but it's kind of sad...people work so hard to get BOG reservations, and they get paper plates? and lots of the entrees, even at lunch, aren't very cheap.

Did you read through the thread? It seems that the switch isn't to save money, but because the dishwashing room of the kitchen is under refurbishment. The regular plates should be back once that is done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter