Boardwalk Villas decor

it sounds likes a PERECT addition to the 1 bedroom villas. I would go so far to say add space for TWO more bodies in the 1 bedroom villas.

I've been in the room and saw everything first-hand. Love the updated theming and have no problems with the new furniture designs. Coffee table is a nice addition to the room and there's room to shuffle it to the side with both the sofa bed and murphy bed open. And moving the coffee table is no more difficult than opening the sofa bed.

I disagree. I have slept in both, it is my opinion that the area between the bed and the pull out sofa is enough width to fit a small trundle bed. which is what we are looking for anyway.. to fit a child.. we really arent' trying to squeeze 5 adults in a studio, are we?

the main thing to me is what is the intention of DVC? deluxe accomodations? or is it veering more towards "camping type" accomodations? It's a bed! it's a dresser! it's a table! the Popeil or ronco dvc quarters! lol. just like some trailers or pop up campers. what's next? a dual toilet/shower stall?

things are leading more and more to living out of your suitcase. you can't unpack and leave things unpacked. you have to utilize an area, and then pack it away, as well as all the things on it. that is fine if you are camping.. for years we had a cabin cruiser. kept it at a marina with a picnic table and dock box nearby.. I am very familiar with the camping life. unpack something. use it. pack it away. unpack clothes, change. re pack clothes.

not very DELUXE sounding to me.. and definitely not a "home away from home".

It certainly negates the home away from home feeling. If you want to have a deluxe experience this is not it IMHO. I am on vacation at a deluxe villa. I want to hang up my clothes, be able to move around and not live out of my suitcase. I guess my studio days are over.

It certainly negates the home away from home feeling.

Well, unless you live in a one-room studio apartment with a mini-fridge and hotplate, Disney Studios have never been strong on the home-away-from-home feel. Nothing has been removed from the villa and there's just as much storage as ever.

If you want to have a deluxe experience this is not it IMHO. I am on vacation at a deluxe villa. I want to hang up my clothes, be able to move around and not live out of my suitcase. I guess my studio days are over.

Assuming you typically stay in a studio with just 2 people (or even 3 or 4 people), how do these changes negatively impact you? The room still has a closet. It still has dresser drawers. Unless you're using the Murphy Bed, it still has a table and 2 chairs accessible 24/7. Confused.

As for other guests, it's up to them how they wish to vacation. If other families want to put 4-5 people in a Studio, rearranging the room every night to pull out the beds and sleep everyone, who are we to tell them that's the wrong way to vacation?

I don't care how other people vacation at all.. I just want a table that is permanent. put things on it and leave them there. as I stated earlier, my husband is nearly blind and when he sets something down in a spot it needs to stay there. and yes, in my opinion the fold out table is in the way. my husband will bump into it constatnly. I if I want a fold out table I'll go camping.

studio or not, it is supposed to be deluxe accomodations.

I don't care how other people vacation at all..

You seemed pretty concerned with how others would manage the "MONSTROUS" coffee table...and the sofa bed...and the Murphy bed. But whatever.

I just want a table that is permanent. put things on it and leave them there. as I stated earlier, my husband is nearly blind and when he sets something down in a spot it needs to stay there.

Understood. If left alone, the table is quite permanent. It isn't going to fold down or otherwise move on its own.

and yes, in my opinion the fold out table is in the way. my husband will bump into it constatnly.

Agree to disagree. I don't know your husband and have no idea how well he adapts but overall its a very minor change in the room design--no different than variations which have previously existed from one DVC property (or any hotel room in the world) to another. You may want to check out images posted to this thread months ago, along with others at the link below, or experience first-hand before passing judgement.

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/resorts/boardwalk-villas/maps-a-photos-94440

For the benefit of other readers, below are scale images which depict the same style fold-down being added to the BoardWalk, the VGF round table and the two images overlayed. The fold-down is noticeably smaller than the round tables, with the round ones actually sticking-out further from the wall.

Well, unless you live in a one-room studio apartment with a mini-fridge and hotplate, Disney Studios have never been strong on the home-away-from-home feel. Nothing has been removed from the villa and there's just as much storage as ever.

Assuming you typically stay in a studio with just 2 people (or even 3 or 4 people), how do these changes negatively impact you? The room still has a closet. It still has dresser drawers. Unless you're using the Murphy Bed, it still has a table and 2 chairs accessible 24/7. Confused.

As for other guests, it's up to them how they wish to vacation. If other families want to put 4-5 people in a Studio, rearranging the room every night to pull out the beds and sleep everyone, who are we to tell them that's the wrong way to vacation?
As I said IMHO,everyone is entitled to one as you just demonstrated!

I've been off the boards for quite awhile; too long actually. And I'm wondering if there are any pictures of a refurbished 1 BR at the Boardwalk. I have to say the changes are quite drastic. I saw mention of the fridge not having a freezer??? Is this true??

Thanks for the info. I see I have a lot of reading to catch up on!!!!!

Are the GV's also getting any redo and if yes anyone have pictures?

sigh. if you look at your overlays, the round table does stick out SLIGHTLY more.. BUT! it is in the corner of the room, not in the main walkway. and there is a lot less space on the table. and the chairs stick outmuch further. so my husband should have to feel around for a chair every time he walks from the balcony to the bathroom?
yes, you do not know my husband. and you obviously don't know anyone with very low vision. let's just stop this back and forth. we hate it. I stated the reasons why. you are starting to get snarky. I still don't care how many people others want to squeeze into a studio. but when it starts to change the entire configuration for everyone else. then yes, I do care. |
I like to unpack for the entire stay. home away from home, In a deluxe studio. not live out of a suitcase and utilize furniture in a camping type environment. our family expecially doesn't like this bercuase my husband is slowly going blind. gets worse every trip. no, having to remember to "step around the table and chairs in the middle of the walkway (instead of it being in the corner where it used to be) is not fun for a blind person....
t

I've been in the room and saw everything first-hand. Love the updated theming and have no problems with the new furniture designs. Coffee table is a nice addition to the room and there's room to shuffle it to the side with both the sofa bed and murphy bed open. And moving the coffee table is no more difficult than opening the sofa bed.

I've seen the rooms as well. That emphasized for me the poor design with table attached to the Murphy bed. And yes, it looked like it might be smaller which is one of the problems as well as the position. But the round tables were against the wall, not another 18 inches further out attached to the murphy bed. The coffee table was well over due for BWV. I think the VWL "coffee table" is either on sliders or wheels so fairly easy to move. I did not test moving this one in the model. :teeth: It's not often enough we open the sleepers.

This is a "hotel" room, not a camper or a cruise ship cabin. You honestly cannot see the merit with those of us who might use the room differently than wishing to maximize occupancy as cheaply as possible? These are rooms that were sold as occupancy of 4. There are others that were designed for 5 which have the murphy bed and a separate table - probably a sign that DVC also thinks that's actually a more proper design.

would like to add that the "coffee table" at GF was 2 small square tables. very light. easy to move. we had a huge balcony(score!) so we just put them on it for our entire stay. but it was cool that you could move one and leave the other if you wanted.

This is a "hotel" room, not a camper or a cruise ship cabin. You honestly cannot see the merit with those of us who might use the room differently than wishing to maximize occupancy as cheaply as possible?

Here is what I am still unable to grasp.

A party of 4 or less--which I freely admit was the original intent of the room--still has full use of all amenities the room has always offered. There is now a separate armoire / dresser with just as much clothing storage space. The closet is unchanged. The bed, sofa bed, nightstand, balcony, kitchenette, bathroom...all essentially unchanged.

If there wasn't any "living out of a camper" in the original room design, why exactly are you suggesting that is the case now?

The only time the room veers of into "living out of a camper" territory is when both pullouts are used and other furniture like the coffee table have to be moved to accommodate. But the complaints I'm reading are coming from people who, by their own admission, have no desire to use these pullouts. So what's the big deal? If some other family wants to pack 2 adults and 3 kids into a Studio, and deal with all of the pullouts and furniture shuffling...let them! Live and let live.

I can't see myself putting 5 people in a Studio but I've stayed in them with my wife and 2 kids. And I will gladly hassle with both pullouts on a nightly basis so that the kids no longer have to share the sofa bed. Really...I'm OK with that. Nobody has to worry about the extra energy I'm using to move furniture and pull-out beds every night.

As for the table, I understand that it's less-than-ideal in the minds of some. I'll admit that I find it a little wonky. HOWEVER, I also feel that it's a reasonable trade-off for adding the extra bed. The table itself is perfectly serviceable for dining, storage, getting some work done on the laptop, etc. It's an entirely functional piece of furniture.

No change is going to be universally accepted. Some people prefer the round table. Message received. But if I'm making design decisions and am given the choice of either the traditional round table OR the bed + fold down table, it's not a difficult decision to go with the latter. The new setup provides the greatest overall flexibility while only sacrificing some guests' personal preference.

ok you are missing some "steps " here. the first step was the addition of the murphy bed, eliminating storage space. THEN. in response to THAT, disney came up with the elimination of the nice round. out of the way table to add some storage space. and HENCE added the stupid smaller, TEMPORARY fold out table. smack in the middle of the walkway. It is NOT a reasonable trade off. JMHO. and it is NOT a "personal perference".. as I stated ,my husband is nearly blind.

ok you are missing some "steps " here. the first step was the addition of the murphy bed, eliminating storage space. THEN. in response to THAT, disney came up with the elimination of the nice round. out of the way table to add some storage space. and HENCE added the stupid smaller, TEMPORARY fold out table. smack in the middle of the walkway.

lol. Regardless of what progression you wish to attach, the end result is equal storage space, subtract one round table and add a bed + square table.

It is NOT a reasonable trade off. JMHO.

Agree to disagree.

and it is NOT a "personal perference".. as I stated ,my husband is nearly blind.

I understand that this topic is very personal to you. However, no designer can take into account the myriad of medical conditions and preferences of every single guest. My wife has terrible knees and would prefer the beds to be lower...but that isn't going to happen. We adapt and move forward.

I get that you don't like the table. Above all else, I was trying to provide a more optimistic outlook on the situation (pointing out that the foldable table actually doesn't stick out as far as the round.) But apparently I've failed miserably. All I can do at this point is say is best of luck to you. I hope you can find some way to utilize the room which will meet your needs, because I don't think Disney is going to re-think the changes. And I suspect we'll see this setup in more resorts sooner rather than later.

I understand that this topic is very personal to you. However, no designer can take into account the myriad of medical conditions and preferences of every single guest. My wife has terrible knees and would prefer the beds to be lower...but that isn't going to happen. We adapt and move forward.

I get that you don't like the table. Above all else, I was trying to provide a more optimistic outlook on the situation (pointing out that the foldable table actually doesn't stick out as far as the round.) But apparently I've failed miserably. All I can do at this point is say is best of luck to you. I hope you can find some way to utilize the room which will meet your needs, because I don't think Disney is going to re-think the changes. And I suspect we'll see this setup in more resorts sooner rather than later.

you did fail, because the "camper" fold out table DOES stick out from the wall MUCH further that the round table, against the wall , in the corner. you were figuring how far the fold out,"camper" table sticks out from the murphy bed, which is ALREADY a few feet from the wall. what kind of comparison is that?

I know disney can't adjust to the "myriad" of needs. just pointing out how DVC has failed to take into account the majority of needs and wants. a studio is just that .. a STUDIO!! not meant for a lot of people or a large family...I don't mind adjusting to those needs, as long as it doesn't impede on enveryone elses needs.
NOT just the vision impaired, but anyone who pays for points to stay in a DELUXE STUDIO, not an "all purpose" camper style environment.

Last edited:
it is NOT just me that dislikes the stupid fold out table. I dealt with the increasingly diminishing lack of storage space. due to the increasing demand of faimilies with more than 2 children.. (um, like my son, with 3 kids. probably going to have a 4th) I get that.. there is a reason the 1 bedrooms are the easiest to book DVC. those and the studios both slept the same amt. of people/
can deal with not unpacking ALL my clothes. and, as I stated the brand new GF studios have the new murphy bed. no, I wasn't crazy about one the the drawers being blocked by the night stand.. but I could still reach in there and get my stuff.. and there was space under the bed at the foot. AND! there was this cool cubby area of shelves in the closet. so I dealt with it.. I get that families with 3 kids can't afford the points for a 2 bedroom.
and I dealt with it when paying cash at a moderate resort. now not only POR but also CBR have the murphy bed. okey doke.

but taking away the permanent table was the last straw,, that is ridiculous!!!! eventhough I can see fine, I don't want to trip on a table in the middle of the night cause it's dark! or a chair. stupid. let the people with 5 in a studio live out of the suitcases. that is their choice (including my son's family). leave the table alone! (do you get the idea I am not changing my mind or being persuaded otherwise? LOL)

I've been off the boards for quite awhile; too long actually. And I'm wondering if there are any pictures of a refurbished 1 BR at the Boardwalk. I have to say the changes are quite drastic. I saw mention of the fridge not having a freezer??? Is this true??

Thanks for the info. I see I have a lot of reading to catch up on!!!!!

There are pictures of the 1BR refurb in this thread: http://www.disboards.com/threads/bwv-1-bedroom-rehabbed.3391126/

This is why I love the one and two bedroom villas. We were never impressed with the studios from the very beginning and would have never bought DVC to stay in them.

I've seen the rooms as well. That emphasized for me the poor design with table attached to the Murphy bed. And yes, it looked like it might be smaller which is one of the problems as well as the position. But the round tables were against the wall, not another 18 inches further out attached to the murphy bed. The coffee table was well over due for BWV. I think the VWL "coffee table" is either on sliders or wheels so fairly easy to move. I did not test moving this one in the model. :teeth: It's not often enough we open the sleepers.

This is a "hotel" room, not a camper or a cruise ship cabin. You honestly cannot see the merit with those of us who might use the room differently than wishing to maximize occupancy as cheaply as possible? These are rooms that were sold as occupancy of 4. There are others that were designed for 5 which have the murphy bed and a separate table - probably a sign that DVC also thinks that's actually a more proper design.

With the addition of the coffee table, we will no longer bring our lightweight camping coffee table with us when we stay in a studio at BWV. For us, the furniture change means we will feel less like we're camping.

Of course, if we find we are not happy with the location or size of the new table/desk, we may start bringing a lightweight camping dining table with us. Hint: this could also be an option for those unhappy with the new table. -- Suzanne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter