Bit the bullet and decided to fly! - Tips needed

klo1335

DIS Veteran
Just wanted to share that we finally decided to fly for our upcoming trip in November. The past couple times down we drove to save money. However, as we have gotten older, the thought of driving from Philly to Orlando is just exhausting to us. I purchased the roundtrip tickets on Southwest this morning so no turning back now :) Just need to figure out packing for a plane versus being able to take anything I want in my car. My kids (who are 11 and 8) have never flown (counting my oldest flying when she was 1 and doesn't remember) and nervous/excited. Any tips you want to send my way is appreciated :)

How long are you going for? We tend to only do one carry on that fits in the over head and one bag like a purse for Southwest. Go to the TSA site to know exactly what you can and cannot take. Also have shoes you can remove easily. Arrive 2 hours early. Sometimes TSA lines in Philly can be long. But they are fairly effecient.

Each airport is different and kids under 12 usually don’t have to remove shoes. Just read the signs then listen to the agents. They’ll shout out contradictory advice sometimes to the signs. :)

Southwest is my favorite. Make sure you either purchase early bird or are logged in and ready to hit check in exactly 24 ahead of your flight. You want a good boarding number. Be prepared to split up though. It’s really no biggie.

We always check a bag or 2- they’re free! One suitcase for me and dh, one for the kids. Clothes and toiletries in there. Then each kid packs a backpack with electronics, chargers, books, a jacket and usually at least a back up shirt. They’re welcome to pack whatever so long as they’re willing to assume full responsibility. :)

You want a good boarding number. Be prepared to split up though. It’s really no biggie.

I am actually not too concerned with this. My kids are 11 and 8 and they are already asked not to sit near each other one the plane...fun times right :headache:

I have already read all of the Southwest boarding rules and about checking in 24 hours beforehand. I am going to set a reminder on my phone.

Thanks for the tips :)

The best part of FLYING down IMO is the Magical Express... the magic starts when you get on the bus to ride to WDW... ;)

Not doing WDW just Universal....my kids prefer Universal to Disney :) and we are renting a car since we are staying offsite.

Kids 12 and under don’t take off shoes through security. So that’s nice.

Check out the tsa site for info on carrying on liquids.

One tip- Some people like to get "on" the airplane. I would recommend, for your safety and security, that you get "in" the airplane

My daughter's read these books called "My Weird School" and the main character is always saying stuff like this. He will say, "guess who just walked into the door? Well, no one cause if you walked into a door that would hurt." Your response reminded me of that :)

Each passenger gets 2 checked bags for free, even the kids. I like to check an empty bag for souvenirs and another empty bag for dirty clothes. We always come back with lots of both...

• Check out the TSA site for sure - just so there are no surprises for you.
  • Check out the Southwest website regarding luggage weights, and carry on sizes.
  • Make sure you keep your keys, wallets, cameras, laptops, small electronics with you in your carry ons. I don't recommend packing any of that in checked luggage.
  • Make a note of any confirmation numbers ( hotel, car, restaurant reservations, etc ) with you in case you need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!