"Best Rate" WON'T change if AP disc. offered...

asktriplets

DIS Veteran
hi. read this on another thread, and just called CRO to verify...

i booked my nov. stay at the poly for $274/nt. if an AP discount comes out for that time, and it is LOWER than $274/nt., my "best rate" price will NOT change...my rate is $274 regardless of what else is offered (can't cancel or i'll lose my deposit and CM told me that anything booked online can't be changed over the phone).

weren't they (CRO) telling people when Best Rate first came out that if you booked with Best Rate, you would automatically get the "best" rate offered? i guess that this means that you get the best rate offered at the time you book, or does that mean AP discounts will not be lower than this??

thanks for any insight or help......

I think it means that AP rates will not be lower than best rate. Guess we really won't know until AP rates that you can book over the phone are out.

from the website

Passholder Best Rate Guarantee Resort Savings

Planning a vacation in a few months? Then it's time to try our Passholder Best Rate Program! Now Passholders booking a Disney Resort room online under the Passholder Best Rate Program at disneyworld.com/passholders can rest easy knowing they have received our best room rate offered to the general public* at that time for the room and nights booked. And, if we subsequently reduce our room rate to the general public for the same room and nights you booked online under this Program, we will automatically reduce your room rate to match that lower rate.

Rooms must be booked at least 120 days in advance and, unlike our normal cancellation policy, a non-refundable deposit of 1-night's room charge and tax must be paid at the time of booking. Currently this program is only available for arrivals through 12/19/05. The number of rooms and nights available for this Program is limited and rooms are not available every night. This Program is subject to change or discontinuance at any time and without notice.

For more details about the Passholder Best Rate Program, check out Frequently Asked Questions.

* Does not include group rates, auction rates or rates conditioned on group/club memberships or other specified eligibility requirements.

The description of the Best Rate program (thanks to DCGrumpy for posting it, above) explictly indicates that the Best Rate would be better than any rate offered later to the general public. The program details never said anything about the Best Rate being better than any subsequent rate offered only to AP holders.

There was a lot of discussion when the program was first announced about this. Reasonable people disagreed. If what you're saying is true, then those who said that AP rates don't count as "rates available to the general public" were correct.

I think you are incorrect. From what I was told, an AP rate is considered a "general public rate". Rates offered specifically to Florida residents, residents of other countries, etc. are the group rates that they are talking about.

For example, Pop Warner is having their annual Super Bowl in December. They will be getting speical group rates on rooms and tickets. This is the kind of group rate they are talking about. AP rates are considered general public because they announce the code. Special email rates and postcard rates would be another example of a group rate. They are targeted at certain people (even if they are random) and can only be used by those people.

Obviously, they could offer Pop Warner a lower rate than what I am paying, even though I am there at the same time. That doesn't mean that my Best Rate will go down to meet their rate. That would be silly. So, I truly believe that IF a lower AP rate code comes out, they will lower my rate through the Best Rate program.

I highly doubt they would release a lower rate when the BR Program has proved to be a success (they are already extending it through mid-February).

I could be wrong so don't take my opinion as gospel, but it makes sense to me.

The more people who write to Disney to express their displeasure if this were to happen, the more likely it is that the AP rates can be applied to the reservation. So, if you are wondering or would be unhappy if that happened, then I urge you to write Disney a note. They are hearing a lot from people pleased with the program. I would not be pleased if I booked 120 days out and 60 days out or even 30 days out they offered a lower AP rate. If that is also your position, let Disney know.

tjmouse said:
I think you are incorrect. From what I was told, an AP rate is considered a "general public rate". Rates offered specifically to Florida residents, residents of other countries, etc. are the group rates that they are talking about.

For example, Pop Warner is having their annual Super Bowl in December. They will be getting speical group rates on rooms and tickets. This is the kind of group rate they are talking about. AP rates are considered general public because they announce the code. Special email rates and postcard rates would be another example of a group rate. They are targeted at certain people (even if they are random) and can only be used by those people.

Obviously, they could offer Pop Warner a lower rate than what I am paying, even though I am there at the same time. That doesn't mean that my Best Rate will go down to meet their rate. That would be silly. So, I truly believe that IF a lower AP rate code comes out, they will lower my rate through the Best Rate program.

I highly doubt they would release a lower rate when the BR Program has proved to be a success (they are already extending it through mid-February).

I could be wrong so don't take my opinion as gospel, but it makes sense to me.
AP rate isn't s general public rate. You can only get it if you are an AP holder, therefore making it "not" avail to just anyone (general public). Also, just to mention, AP & FL rates are usually the same rate (99% of the time). General public rates are avail to anyone, AP rate=AP holder, FL rate=FL resident, post card pin= pin #code holder, AAA rate=AAA members only, etc... they all fall into the same catagory meaning that you must have/belong to etc.... Sorry......

From what I was told, an AP rate is considered a "general public rate".
Apparently a lot of folks were mistaken about that.

AP rate isn't s general public rate.
I think, eventually, they'll change the Best Rate program to include subsequently announced AP rates, in addition to rates available to the general public. If not this year, then perhaps next year.

OK, so here's my plan:

If a lower AP rate code is released and they won't apply it to my Best Rate reservation, I'll book my stay with the lower AP code.

Then, I'll call and change my current Best Rate reservations to let's say, early March of 2006. I won't be charged the $50 fee for changing because my total won't possibly be less for my changed dates.

Then, if I don't go in March, I'll call and change it again to let's say October 2006, should still be regular season so again, no change fee.

I am planning on going next October anyway so there you go! I have my reservations booked and my deposit paid.

Does anyone see any flaws in this plan? I am planning on going back anyway and if I decide not to stay at the same resorts, I could always change to different resorts and pay the stinkin $50 right?

Problem solved, for me anyway. I do plan on writing Disney a letter if and when lower AP rates are released. Of course, if I couldn't afford to go at the rates I got, I guess I shouldn't be going.

Just found out they are no longer charging the $50 change fee! So, I could literally have this reservation for years if I just keep changing it. I guess that's one way to get around the non-refundable deposit as well as the "what if a lower rate is released" scenerio.

This seems like the same discussion when best rate first came out. Some saying AP rate is considered by Disney to be a general public code others saying its not. It just doesn't make sense to me that Disney would offer the best rate plan with the restrictions attached to AP holders and then release lower AP rates. We'll find out in a few weeks.

Too bad Disney didn't have this discussion with themselves before rolling out the program. Seems like it depends on which CM you get as to who says what ... and then there are CMs who have never heard of the program. I was amazed. It will be interesting to see how Disney handles this ... could potentially be either a great program or a "bust." Time will tell.

I think if regular AP rates do come out, they will be the same as the Best Rate or higher. I think if they release lower rates and they are not applied then no one will use the Best Rate system again. There goes all of those potential nonrefundable deposits.

Of course I have nothing to base this on :rotfl:

Disney & discounts are all about supply & demand. In my opinion, if there isn't a great demand as the dates get closer, Disney will offer a lower AP rate over the phone. I could be wrong but it makes sence. Look at what they just did with the Fl Resident Seasonal Pass black out dates...they were lifted. Universal did the same with their Power Pass black out dates last week. Last year Universal had announced their AP rates for Christmas time & as it got closer they announced the stay 4 pay 3 nights with the passholder rate & free hotel parking as well. These resorts are in the business of making money. If they see they aren't selling out, the rates will drop. I am also inclinded to think that the black out dates being dropped may be a sign they aren't getting the demand they expected.... and it may flow over to December.

I think it would be great if they did offer lower rates. That being said, if they come out with a lower AP rate than what most have through the Best Rate Program they will have some very upset people as many thought they were booking the "best rate" for AP holders by doing so 120 days in advance and taking on the non-refundable deposit stipulation.

I know the rate I got was only $30 lower a night than the AAA rate I got four months ago when I booked my Dec. trip. If they are going to come out with lower rates than what I can book through the Best Rate Program, and not apply or let me apply them to my ressie, I will book the old fashion way and call to get the AP discount. I work with a TA that does that for me and in 6 years every year she snags the lower AP rate for me when it comes out. She has yet to fail to do so.

It will be interesting to see what Disney does with this ... I have a feeling they are hearing "lots" about the program ... probably from both sides, although I'm sure they wouldn't let on ... and I know that they do read the comments ... and even ... not often ... make changes accordingly. As my TA says ... legally they could offer lower rates ... and not let those in the Best Rate Program apply them to their ressie, but the "bad PR" that would result from that might persuade Disney not to be so shortsighted.

I don't think they totally thought this all the way through prior to rolling out the program. These details should have been ironed out and clearly stated. In addition, they should have told their CROs what it was and provided them with all the info. and even some training so they could speak knowledgeably about it. Evidently they didn't all read the memo as I had to actually tell one CRO about the program. She hadn't heard about it. Now, isn't that strange? But then again, we are dealing with Disney ... sadly not so strange.

Hi,

really would love to have a system like this at Disneyland Paris.
Here are rarely AP discounts and when only to some of the hotels (almost never to the Disneylandhotel).
If you have booked, you have booked and have to cancel your reservation (free if booked through Disney till 30 days ahead) and have to do a new one.

Greets Renate :wizard:

thanks for everyone's thoughts....

here is part of a post that prompted my concern (it's from the oct/nov. watch thread...hope it's ok to post it here):

after emailing Disney this is the reply I got .
MY QUESTION WAS.................
IF I BOOK NOW AT RACK RATE USING THIS SPECIAL PASSHOLDER BEST RATE PROGRAM
DOES THAT MEAN THAT WHEN PASSHOLDER RATES OR FLORIDA RESIDENT RATES ARE
RELEASED THAT I WILL AUTOMATICALLY GET THAT BETTER RATE ????

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

Please know that the Passholder "Best Rate Program" is a discounted offer and is not rack rate.

If a guest makes any type of reservation and wishes to apply a discount at a later time, the
discount is not guaranteed.

There are no automatic or guaranteed conversion to
discounts on reservations once made. Special offers are
offered on a first-come, first-served basis and are subject to availability.

We appreciate your understanding.
The best rate plan also has to be booked at 120 days out and if cancelled you lose your deposit.

hmmm....guess we'll have to wait and see.

I suspect that they did indeed totally think the program all the way through prior to rolling it out. With any marketing program, gauging public response after introduction is part of the process. Making program details "subject to change without notice" deliberately acknowledges that the general public's reaction, for good or ill, will affect changes to the program details.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter