"Best" DVC Resort for Christmas??

mccathy

DIS Veteran
Just booked the first week of December at our home resort (Bay Lake).... but we're looking to switch at the seven month mark. I'm leaning towards trying to get into the Wilderness....

Any of you DVC veterans have a favorite resort for Christmas? We'll be travelling with a 9 year old, 6 year old, and 13 month old!!

Even though we had a bad experience with our room, I would still say the WL was just beautiful during Xmas! It just gives you that cozy, Xmas feel. The decorations are just beautiful. We visited most of the other resorts but nothing compared to the WL! The GF was close, but WL just screamed Xmas to us. We were in a 1 bedroom Dec 21-26. They had the characters there, Santa, a choir, cider & cookies & special Xmas activities. It really was wonderful. I'm strictly speaking about the resort itself, our room was a whole other story lol

Ha. Good question.... maybe really good decorations???

The decorations at the co-located resorts will be the best, SSR and OKW, not so much.

You also need to think about which parks you intend to visit and the proximity to the resort that you choose. Dining and other accommodations including any holiday entertainment can also make a difference.

We visit all of the deluxe resorts at Christmas except OKW and SSR.

:earsboy: Bill

We loved our stay at VWL from Dec 20 to 27th this year. I would try to change right at 7 months. I spent months piecing my reservation together. I got my last night at the beginning of December. I did not waitlist...just kept checking online. It is a lovely resort and everyone was very nice and helpful!

I'd definitely go with WL or GF for best Christmas decorations at WDW. GC would be a good choice too, if consdering DLR.

Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to call right away to try and get in there!

It's hard to tell where we'll spend most of our days.... I usually divy up the days evenly and then let the kids pick the last few days. Last trip it was Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom that got a second visit!

We do always have our first meal at Whispering Canyon... so it would be so nice to already be at our resort before dinner!

Even though we had a bad experience with our room, I would still say the WL was just beautiful during Xmas! It just gives you that cozy, Xmas feel. The decorations are just beautiful. We visited most of the other resorts but nothing compared to the WL! The GF was close, but WL just screamed Xmas to us. We were in a 1 bedroom Dec 21-26. They had the characters there, Santa, a choir, cider & cookies & special Xmas activities. It really was wonderful. I'm strictly speaking about the resort itself, our room was a whole other story lol

Was Santa there just for Christmas? We're going the first week of December... will that stuff still be going on then?

VWL for sure. This is a bucket list for us. We always resort-hop to check out decorations and this is always the best!

Was Santa there just for Christmas? We're going the first week of December... will that stuff still be going on then?

He was just there on Xmas eve. He was also at the Poly, GF, & CR resort on Xmas eve.

From the info we were given at check in, the resort Xmas activities were on only during Xmas week.

The resort decorations are up after the 2nd week of Nov & after Thanksgiving the parks have the Xmas activities running.

Ha. Good question.... maybe really good decorations???

VWL is a beautiful miniature of WL, music and all. Kidani is beautiful too, although the music there is not what most may consider traditional Christmas music. I prefer the peace and quiet of Kidani over Jambo which may be more impressive in size, but never feels relaxing to me.

I also love BWV at Christmas. The lobby decor, music and Green with it's tree that families keep running up to top take pictures in front of keep us happy.

I think the Christmas stuff starts Thanksgiving weekend.

We were at WDW this past November when they decorated the resorts. We stayed at AKV Jambo House and the Thursday night before Thanksgiving (one week before) they decorated Animal Kingdom Lodge and Kidani Village. By that weekend everything was decorated, and the gingerbread houses/carousel were up. All the parks and DTD were all decorated by then as well.

BTW, the Osborne Lights started, Friday November 9, 2012 (the three day weekend that includes Veterans Day) and for 2013 it is scheduled to start November 8th (the Friday of Veteran's Day weekend). But the Candlelight Processionals did not begin until later, the 2014 dates are November 29 - December 30, 2013. And MVMCP also started earlier in November.

We were at WDW this past November when they decorated the resorts. We stayed at AKV Jambo House and the Thursday night before Thanksgiving (one week before) they decorated Animal Kingdom Lodge and Kidani Village. By that weekend everything was decorated, and the gingerbread houses/carousel were up. All the parks and DTD were all decorated by then as well.

BTW, the Osborne Lights started, Friday November 9, 2012 (the three day weekend that includes Veterans Day) and for 2013 it is scheduled to start November 8th (the Friday of Veteran's Day weekend). But the Candlelight Processionals did not begin until later, the 2014 dates are November 29 - December 30, 2013. And MVMCP also started earlier in November.

I think their goal is to decorate by mid-summer, that way they can call every night at the MK a MVMCP night and charge extra for admission. :thumbsup2

:earsboy: Bill

I'm slightly biased, but it's difficult to find a better Christmas feel than at the WL. Between the massive tree, the garland, and the fireplaces, that classical Christmas feel blends amazingly well with the Lodge's theming. Certainly, other resorts are wonderfully decorated, as well, but none quite have that extra heartstring tug that WL possesses. Good luck with wherever you choose to stay! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter