Beach Club vs. AKL for a solo trip - help me decide!

Debi

<font color=teal>I go to WDW 2,179,872 times a yea
Okay, here's the situation:

I'm planning my next solo trip for August 8-13. I currently have reservations at AKL (Savannah view). I've stayed at this resort before, and I LOVE it!! However, I am also a huge Epcot person, and I missed the ability to walk to/from Epcot (I've stayed at the Swan/Dolphin several times solo).

The Beach Club is more expensive than the AKL, so should I save the money and stay at a resort I know I will like (even if it means giving up the convenience of walking to Epcot), or spend the extra few dollars per night and be able to walk to/from Epcot?

Any imput would be greatly appreciated!

Why deprive yourself - stay at both!!! Do a 2/3 night split, first at AKL for the wow factor, then at BC for the ambience of the pool and the proximity of Epcot and MGM. It's easy to switch as a solo - I've done it loads of times. Just pack your stuff and have it shipped to the next hotel, go play in a park, and when you arrive at the new hotel it will be delivered to your room. I usually go over to the new resort and check in early so I don't have to wait when I come back from the park. I just call or check in at the desk if there's not a line and get my room number. It's fun to stay at two resorts!!!!

That's a tough one! I stayed at AKL by myself and it was fun, but you've stayed there before and it might be nice to have the variety of the Epcot area.

I don't know your plans, but if you're looking for stuff to do at night, and don't have a car, you'll have to deal with busses. With epcot being open late every night you'll have something to do close by.

You probably already looked into this, but at certain times of year it's really cheap to rent points for a BCV studio!!

If your a pool person, I would definitely recommend Beach Club. It's a great perk to just walk out of Epcot and 5-10 minutes later jump into the best resort pool on property. Plus Beaches and Cream.... :goodvibes the best milkshakes.... mmmm I can almost taste it now... :sunny: I guess you can tell where I would stay! :rotfl:

I stayed at both Beach Club and AKL as solo's. I actually would slightly prefer AKL for one reason only - they had a food court. Beach Club has no food court, as everything is a sit-down restaurant. As a solo, I like food courts since I don't always like spending $$ on sit-down meals all the time, and food courts are less socially awkward. Beach Club does have Beaches and Cream, but it's tiny and was mobbed everytime I passed by, so I never tried to eat there, and not open super late, either. But I liked that Beach Club was much closer to the "action" of Epcot and MGM, though, which is becoming more and more appealing as I get older! I also found the buses much better at AKL. When I was at Beach Club, they shared buses with Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin, and Yacht Club, so it took forever to get anywhere!

Both places are great if you can afford them!! Good luck deciding!! :)

Since you have done AKL and loved it, my vote goes to AKL. :earsgirl:

I have stayed there solo and (just last month) with a friend. It was wonderful either way. I love that place and think it is much better solo than most other WDW locations. It is quieter, has the food court plus a couple of excellent restaurants, great atmosphere, and yes - probably the best bus service. Even being a local, I can hardly wait to stay there again.

True, you could split your stay between there and BC. I just prefer getting settled and navigating from one location instead of packing up and moving.

Have a magical time! :cool1:

Because I'm only staying 5 nights, I really don't want to switch resorts. I switched resorts last summer (Pop to Dolphin), but I was staying 10 nights. The pool is not a factor - I plan on very little, if any, pool time this trip.

Oy - decisions, decisions! AKL is less expensive, and I already know that I'll love it. But, I also love the convenience of walking to Epcot. Argh! What to do? Keep those opinions coming!

As far as dining, the Beach club now has the Beach Club Marketplace, it's where their gift shop was off the lobby, just redesigned to add a few tables, sandwiches, salads, bakery items, etc. Like others, I've stayed at both AKL and BC solo, I'd vote for BC since you are an Epcot fan. That's my main reason for loving it so much-that convenience to Epcot can't be beat. And that little Marketplace is great-I just returned from 3 days at BC-must have stopped in to eat at the Marketplace 3 or 4 times.

I was going to side with the "split decision" folks (because I split my stays all the time.)

But, since you prefer to stay at one place, I'd pick Beach Club.

I love both AKL and Beach Club, but I have DVC at Beach Club Villas...so that makes my bias obvious. ;)

My vote would have to be the Beach Club. I have stayed at both and I found the ambience nice at AKL but you have to take a bus everywhere. When you stay at the BC you can walk to epcot take a bus to MGM and if you have a hopper or Ap you can walk through epcot to grab the monorail to the Magic Kingdom. Also if you want to grab a quick bite you can hop on over to the Boardwalk where they have take out pizza and the bakery. Just a couple of ideas for you. I really enjoy staying at the Beach Club Villas and the Boardwalk Villas. I am hoping to take a solo trip next May and ihope to stay at the BCV or BWV. Last point if you plan on going out at night they nightlife at the boardwalk would be very close to you. You must head over to Jelly Rolls. Have a great trip. :wave:

I absolutely love AKL, but in your circumstance, I would choose BC. You can go to various restaurants w/o going on a bus, hang at ESPN or the Boardwalk. The BC marketplace is another good hot spot and you can't beat the pool.

Let us know what you choose.

Thanks everyone! I'm leaning towards the Beach Club. Before I definately switch, can anyone give me general prices of the Marketplace? Also, are all rooms now equiped with the fridge?

I made the switch over to the Beach Club - the Epcot Resorts area is just too spoiling. :) Well worth the extra money!

Debi said:
I made the switch over to the Beach Club - the Epcot Resorts area is just too spoiling. :) Well worth the extra money!
I think you made the right decision. I've stayed at both AKL and YC and I absolutely love both resorts. I've never done a solo trip but if I ever do, I would choose YC/BC because there is so much to do within walking distance.

Lisa, that's why I made the switch. I *love* AKL, but I also *love* being able to walk to Epcot. It was a very hard decision to make! The good news is that WDW isn't going anywhere, so I can go back to AKL on my next trip!

HugsForEeyore said:
I stayed at both Beach Club and AKL as solo's. I actually would slightly prefer AKL for one reason only - they had a food court. Beach Club has no food court, as everything is a sit-down restaurant. As a solo, I like food courts since I don't always like spending $$ on sit-down meals all the time, and food courts are less socially awkward. Beach Club does have Beaches and Cream, but it's tiny and was mobbed everytime I passed by, so I never tried to eat there, and not open super late, either. But I liked that Beach Club was much closer to the "action" of Epcot and MGM, though, which is becoming more and more appealing as I get older! I also found the buses much better at AKL. When I was at Beach Club, they shared buses with Boardwalk, Swan, Dolphin, and Yacht Club, so it took forever to get anywhere!

Both places are great if you can afford them!! Good luck deciding!! :)
I just stayed solo at the BC, totally agree about lack of food court...but I LOVE this area!! it is the best for a solo..I did split with WL. but as far as the buses....we never once went to the swan or dolphin. so they must have changed that one!
but me....I would do BCand just bring ceral and stuff for your room!

love BC - eat at beaches and cream plus Cape May Cafe - well worth it for both places.

the last time I stayed WDW was working on the marketplace so I can't help with that.

all moderate and deluxe rooms now have the refrigerator. It is tiny.

I like the refrigerator in the DVC studios better.

You can also easily walk to the Land Food Court in Epcot.

you can walk to both Epcot and Studios or take the boat.

you can walk faster. but sometimes the boat ride is just plain fun!!! :love:

Debbie,
You won't be sorry to stay at Beach Club. My DH and I stay every October for Epcot's International Wine and Beer Fest. They have a boat that goes from BC to Yach Club, Dolphin/Swan and then to Epcot, if you didn't feel like walking sometimes. It leaves you at the entrance to the country's. I heard they revamped their grocery/gift show and the reviews were very positive. I didn't have time to stop in, when we were there in May.

I always have problems trying "new" places at Disney and get hung up staying at the same resorts. I am a DVC member and one year in October, had to be put on wait list for Beach Club. We booked the Boardwalk. When the waitlist came through, we decided to "force" ourselves to try a new resort and stayed with the Boardwalk. It was nice and our room was near the Haberdashery Store. I was amazed how quite our room was even though we were on the Boardwalk. We went to Jelly Rolls (dueling piano bar) one night and had a very good time. It is a sing-along and everyone has a good time. You may want to walk over there one evening.

You will still be close enough to walk to the Dolphin for a delicious breakfast at "Fresh Mediterranean". Depending on finances, you could splurge for dinner at the "Todd English's Blue Zoo". This is another must do for us in October.

I am sure you will enjoy yourself, no matter what. I have been to WDW solo and it was the best vacation ever!! Everyone is so nice and you feel really feel right at home.

Enjoy and have a safe trip!
Vonderbar

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter