Be very cautious planning a Walt Disney World trip around Atlantic Hurricane Season.

JellyMintJames

Mouseketeer
I don't know if anyone listens to me or read threads I create but I am giving legitimate advice this time. Atlantic Hurricane season June 1st - November 30th, they come out of nowhere and being a hurricane prone state it just a good idea to plan ahead for your vacation. During June till the end of July is a pretty good time to go since hurricanes rarely form or make land fall during that time but Early August till late October is the peak of Hurricane Season and when the strongest of hurricanes like to form and make land fall so it's probably best to hold off Walt Disney World until the beginning of November since that's when it starts getting cooler and tropical cyclone activity dies down. Just from my experience I'll hate for someone's Disney's vacation to get ruined by a hurricane which you can do nothing about.

certainly a consideration, but not necessarily a reason not to plan. we are going end of august 2018. we have trip insurance through our credit card and will be conscious of any hurricane threats. worst case we get our money back and reschedule for another time. so I think with adequate preparation its a doable time to plan for. truth is, anything can happen at any time unfortunately.

certainly a consideration, but not necessarily a reason not to plan. we are going end of august 2018. we have trip insurance through our credit card and will be conscious of any hurricane threats. worst case we get our money back and reschedule for another time. so I think with adequate preparation its a doable time to plan for. truth is, anything can happen at any time unfortunately.

I agree. We are currently planning for August 2018 (probably mid to late). We missed the hurricanes this year by a couple of weeks.

If one starts to be concerned about every hypothetical weather event, then almost all year will be blocked out. I had a vacation in February, and I was freaking out the whole time about a snow storm keeping me from flying out of the Northeast US. I missed one by a day.

That being said, I would probably avoid September and October as that when major hurricanes seem to strike.

Should take caution and keep possible hurricanes in mind, but really it shouldn't be a worry. We don't get hurricanes making landfall every year and the odds of a hurricane hitting Disney are far less likely vs hitting the gulf coast or East coast of FL.

Have been in October every year since 2008 and going again next week. Few years ago there was one off the coast but all the rain bands stayed east of us and we did not have any effects at WDW.

The date range provided is more than half the year. In reality, there’s about a 3% chance that your vacation could be affected during those 183 days. I’d play the odds.

We always go at the end of August. I use to worry about hurricanes but not anymore. If it happens, it happens...but I don’t let the thought stop me from booking in August.

I don't know if anyone listens to me or read threads I create but I am giving legitimate advice this time. Atlantic Hurricane season June 1st - November 30th, they come out of nowhere and being a hurricane prone state it just a good idea to plan ahead for your vacation. During June till the end of July is a pretty good time to go since hurricanes rarely form or make land fall during that time but Early August till late October is the peak of Hurricane Season and when the strongest of hurricanes like to form and make land fall so it's probably best to hold off Walt Disney World until the beginning of November since that's when it starts getting cooler and tropical cyclone activity dies down. Just from my experience I'll hate for someone's Disney's vacation to get ruined by a hurricane which you can do nothing about.

Since we are worried about weather affecting your vacation. From November-April there is a chance that a blizzard will affect airline flights. I would avoid planning a Disney vacation during those months also. Especially since there is a higher percentage of this happening than a hurricane hitting the Orlando area. After Wilma in 2005, another hurricane did not make landfall in Florida until 2016. The chance that a hurricane will affect your Disney vacation is small. Just be aware that there is a chance just like someone cruising during these months. If you are worried, get travel insurance.

Also your timing is a little off. More hurricanes make landfall in June and July than October and November. Below is the historical info for hurricanes that made landfall in Florida.

April - 1
May - 2
June - 10
July - 11
August - 18
September - 26
October - 8
November - 2
December - 1

Hurricanes are getting more frequent, stronger and chances of striking the state of Florida are higher. You don't have to be a jerk about it...jeez.

I was glad to have a September reservation right after Irma (checked in 9/12) because my sister didn’t have water at her house for five days. I thought of it as my backup plan as well as a vacation. I wouldn’t book Fort Wilderness from mid August through the end of September just because it’s the only resort that gets shut down and evacuated. But any other resort should be fine.

I think instead of not planning a vacation during that time, one might just need to be aware there is a chance (however small or big) that one might hit somewhere in Florida and maybe could affect your plans. Trip insurance if you must but don't be freaked out by the possibility and just have fluid plans if you can.

Hurricanes are getting more frequent, stronger and chances of striking the state of Florida are higher. You don't have to be a jerk about it...jeez.

You are just throwing bad info out there. There is less than a 1% chance that a hurricane will hit during the time you are at Disney. It just so happened that you fell into that 1% but you are giving people advice like you fell in the 99%.

I thought you no longer wanted to be a part of this website?
You wanted to delete your account a couple days ago and now you're posting again.
Dramatic much?

People know that June 1st through November 30th is hurricane season.
In fact late August to late September is the peak.
If people choose to plan their vacation around that time then they take the risk.

You are just throwing bad info out there. There is less than a 1% chance that a hurricane will hit during the time you are at Disney. It just so happened that you fell into that 1% but you are giving people advice like you fell in the 99%.

Not only that, but when was the last time a truly catastrophic and damaging hurricane hit WDW? The odds are very, very, very small. Your plans are much more likely to get wrecked by bad t-storms that close attractions nearly every day during the summer than a hurricane hitting.

Also, I think the vast majority of people are aware that Florida is in the general hurricane zone and late summer is hurricane season.

Wow! Just Wow! Others have pointed out the errors in your facts but here is another one. Hurricanes don't just come out of nowhere, that's more like a tornado. Usually there is at least a 5-6 day notice before a hurricane might make landfall. Did you watch the reports on Irma? I think we heard about her for 2 weeks before she ever made landfall in FL.

If you are going to travel during hurricane season then it is best to be aware and have trip insurance.

With your logic, you should never travel to WDW since a tornado can happen anywhere at any time. Just Sayin'

I have traveled to WDW 30+ times, the majority of those times during hurricane season. I have had exactly one trip affected by a hurricane and that is when Hurricane Isaac hit my HOME state and I was able to reschedule my flight, head down to FL early and avoid the hurricane (and start my vacation early). The chances of a hurricane affecting anyone's trip are slim to none and there are risks involved in all travel. If you find that weather will affect a trip you've planned, reschedule. This is what travel insurance is for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!