Baymont Inn and Suites Celebration--Review 06/2011

PrincessDana

Mouseketeer
A long weekend without children and a great deal on flights = a spontaneous weekend in Orlando!!

Dates: June 9 through June 13, 2011.

Bear with me if this "review" tries to venture into a trip report....I will try and keep it in check! :)

After finding a great deal with PERFECT timing on airfare from Lexington, KY, I decided to price out my options in Orlando.

Since I was literally booking only ONE week in advance, staying on Disney property didn't seem to be an option. Not really much in the way of discounts, plus we wanted to make this weekend as inexepensive as possible, which meant meals off-site, etc.

I decided to check out hotwire.com.

Found a great deal on a package with 4 nights (Thursday - Monday) at the Baymont Inn and Suites Celebration with an economy car from Budget for a total of $238.00!!! I was happy and decided to chance it. This would be the first time we had ever stayed in the Kissimme area, and really only the second time every staying off-site since starting to go to Disney in 2001.

Flights went off without a hitch. Arrived at MCO and went straight to the rental car areas (no checked baggage to retrieve). The line at Budget was about 3 people deep, which I thought was odd since we arrived at around midnight. They had 3 people working at the desk. Well, for this shift, Budget is the KING of the upsell!! They were hard-selling almost everyone at the desk on insurance and GPS units and were obviously succeeding because the line took at least 45 minutes. Once I got the desk I realized they were upselling people who had never rented a car before, and the clerk didn't try too hard to upsell us...thank goodness because we were tired! He did remind me that I could add another driver (spouse or domestic partner) for free and I was really, really glad he offered that.

I usually rent from Alamo, I love "picking" out a car in a row! Well, at Budget, they gave me the number of our parking space and sent us over to the garage. There in our space, was our economy car....a MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS!! Geez. Probably everyone else would have been happy about it, but we were NOT. I wanted an economy car for the gas savings, however, it was not worth my time to go back and stand in that line again to attempt to get it changed.

Soooo, feeling like we were driving a limo, we headed out of the garage and out to Kissimmee. Like an idiot, I had somehow forgotten to prepare for tolls?!?! So we used the Sunpass provided in our Budget car (2.50 per day convenience charge plus tolls) and considered it well worth it.

Upon arrival to the Baymont Inn and Suites Celebration, I was delighted to find it right on Sherbeth Road!! We pulled in under the breezeway and went in. There were a party of 3 people in line talking with the clerk. Of course, there was some sort of total mess-up with their "reservation." After sorting them out, getting them their 3 different rooms, it was finally my turn. I just stood very patiently because I knew it wasn't the clerk's fault.

The lobby was really quite nice-looking--What appeared to be a large breakfast area, several couches, a ticket desk, a courtesy computer area, a gift shop, restrooms, large screen TV, high ceilings, etc. The clerk was very nice. Charged us the 5.09 per night "resort fee" which we were expecting. He told us we could leave the car parked in the breezeway, which we did, as it was so very late at this point.

As we went through the lobby, we noticed 3 teenage boys on the courtesy computer on facebook. I thought that odd since it was around 1:30 a.m. This, however, was a recurring theme every single night. Those same 3 boys on the computer very, very late at night. Odd.

The elevators were outside the opposite end of the lobby. Three elevators. The elevators were obviously run down and could use some maintenance, but they got us to our floor without any problem. So, up we went to the 6th floor and right around the corner was our room on the right side with the elevators behind us. Very convenient.

Our room was 2 double (or maybe queen) beds. There was a large flat screen TV, desk and chair, two smallish wardrobes, 2 or 3 drawers, a small sink next to the fridge and microwave. Then a vanity area with 1 sink, quite a bit of counterspace, and the tub/shower combo and toilet area.

The room was quite adequate. The area between the beds and the fridge/desk/wardrobe combo was a bit narrow and there was some empty space between the bed closest to the door and the window. The air worked great..we like it really cold! The room seemed clean and the bathroom (while obviously a little worn down) was also clean. It had a normal toilet (no loud turbo toilet). It was also very, very quiet where we were.

The outlets behind the bed were very difficult to get to, so we used the outlets by the vanity area instead. We did have a lightbulb out and the towels were very, very scarce. I think only 2 bath towels, 1 hand towel, and 1 face cloth. This was actually a recurring problem during our visit, the lack of towels left by housekeeping.

The next morning we were up early! It was Star Wars Weekend at DHS and we knew the park would open at 8 instead of the published hours of 9 and we still had to buy tickets. After getting ready and before heading down to breakfast (which started at 7), I walked to the opposite end of our building (away from the elevators) and I could see Expedition Everest!! That was neat! The next morning we saw a bunch of hot-air balloons floating over Kissimmee which was also neat (but something I have seen before while staying at All-Star Sports).

We went down to breastfast, which was a carb-fest (but I was prepared for it). There were a very few people there right at 7 a.m. There were waffles, bread for toasting, small bagels, at least 2 kinds of muffins and 2 kinds of danish, 3 types of cereal (I remember raisin bran, rice krispies, and fruit loops, I think), small powdered donuts, very sour orange juice, apple juice, milk, coffee, and many spreads including cream cheese and peanut butter along with jellies. It was adequate, though I would have preferred a yogurt and/or fresh fruit option. But it was nicely displayed. The breakfast area filled up quickly!! There was also a large sign stating "do not remove food from breakfast area." That was a shame because they had 4 outdoor tables across the lobby that I would have enjoyed having breakfast at. I think they just don't want you eating in the lobby at those tables and couches. The next day I had a breakfast bar in the room while the SO went down. And the third day we went down at around 8:30 and the area was packed!!! So, if you want to eat in some peace you need to go down early.

As mentioned, on our first morning we went over to DHS. We turned on Sherbeth road and followed the sign to "disney guest areas" or something like that. Very, very easy to get through that road. We were parked at DHS in less than 10 minutes!

We came back for a break around 3:00 or so to have a swim. The pool wasn't very crowded and the pool bar was opened. They were offering frozen drinks for $4...made to order! So we each got one (very good and refreshing). There were plenty of pool towels then, but I have a feeling that unless they replenish them, they would run out in the late afternoon. The pool area was clean. No lifeguard at all and nothing special about the pool, but it met out needs for cooling off and being refreshed.

I didn't use the pool anymore after that, but my SO went down one evening and he said it was packed then!!

There is obviously not really enough parking at this hotel. However, they do allow you to park in the breezeway. Each time we returned late (we tried to close down the parks) the only parking was in the very, very far back (as far as possible from our room and from the elevators) in a very shadowy lot. I wasn't comfortable there and so we chose to park in the breezeway up front.

Our flight on Monday left very early, like 5:20 a.m. from MCO, so we left the hotel at around 3:45. The computer was empty then. So after starting it back up, I was able to use it to print our boarding passes. It was a little slow, and Google Chrome was going nuts, so I had to use Explorer for internet navigation.

All in all, I was extremely satisfied in this hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again. The PRICE was great with our package deal, the breakfast adequate, the room satisfactory and the location ideal!!

The cons were the parking area and some run down areas of the property. But I had pretty low expectations!

Hope this helps anyone out who is considering Baymont Inn and Suites. I plan on posting at Tripadvisor sometime soon also.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter