Bandage on towel!!

DHCruise

Mouseketeer
It was our last morning on the Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas. As my wife finished drying her face on a towel, she flipped the towel over and noticed a Band-Aid!!! I took pictures and a video of it. We brought the issue up with our stateroom host, and he said that it should have been cleaned from laundry. We looked at the bandage and it was still stuck because of the strong adhesive. He said "It is my fault, I should have double checked. My boss would kill me if he found out".

Anyways, I want to know what do you think can be done here? We already dealt with Guest Services on the ship, and was given reduced gratuities and a 30% off the price of this cruise amount for our NEXT RCL cruise. But honestly, after experiencing RCL, I kind of want to stick with DCL, at least for now until my kids are still kids. They also said that the 30% needs to be used within a year or 2. I need to double check.

They made it seem like nothing can be done to compensate for that band-aid incident for the current cruise price. I would like to get your opinion. (Looks like the video is too large to upload). Thanks in advance!

unnamed.jpg unnamed (1).jpg

Anyways, I want to know what do you think can be done here? We already dealt with Guest Services on the ship, and was given reduced gratuities and a 30% off the price of this cruise amount for our NEXT RCL cruise. But honestly, after experiencing RCL, I kind of want to stick with DCL, at least for now until my kids are still kids

They offered you a pretty substantial discount on a future cruise which I think is pretty fair, which could be valued at anywhere from hundreds to over a thousand dollars. Maybe they could give a refund on your cruise but as someone who is already leaning on NOT going back on RCI I can see how they think it's in their best interest to get you back on the boat and try again to meet or exceed your expectations.

Op: I think they were more than fair.
Stuff does happen... it was a total dirty. Towel or one washed n a bandaid was washed with it?
Regardless... wife is fine but obviously grossed out ( don't blame her) but
More than they offered? I Don't think they will or should..
hope rest of cruise was great!

Nope a discount off of a future item is not appropriate however the adjusted tip is probably what I would have been okay with. Also it really depends on their attitude. An we are so sorry we will deal with the steward directly on training and please let us know how much you want to reduce the tip would go a long way but no sorry and I'm less likely to forgive. Also I'd rather just take a small on board write off now over a big next cruise sailing.

Also sure these things happen at home but at home I know it is mine or my fiance's bandaid not some strangers.

It was our last morning on the Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas. As my wife finished drying her face on a towel, she flipped the towel over and noticed a Band-Aid!!! I took pictures and a video of it. We brought the issue up with our stateroom host, and he said that it should have been cleaned from laundry. We looked at the bandage and it was still stuck because of the strong adhesive. He said "It is my fault, I should have double checked. My boss would kill me if he found out".

Anyways, I want to know what do you think can be done here? We already dealt with Guest Services on the ship, and was given reduced gratuities and a 30% off the price of this cruise amount for our NEXT RCL cruise. But honestly, after experiencing RCL, I kind of want to stick with DCL, at least for now until my kids are still kids. They also said that the 30% needs to be used within a year or 2. I need to double check.

They made it seem like nothing can be done to compensate for that band-aid incident for the current cruise price. I would like to get your opinion. (Looks like the video is too large to upload). Thanks in advance!

View attachment 247142 View attachment 247143
You're kidding right?

(1) You took a VIDEO of it? What are you? A YouTube star?
(2) You talked to your steward who apologized to you and accepted responsibility and said that he would be in deep doo-doo if his supervisor found out.
(3) BUT THAT WASN'T ENOUGH FOR YOU! You then ratted him out to (a) reduce his gratuity and (b) get some sugar from RCL.
(4) They penalized the steward at your request and offered a generous 30% off on your next cruise.
(5) BUT THAT WASN'T ENOUGH FOR YOU! And you are now complaining here.

Stop while you are ahead and stop being a drama king. It's not a big deal. It sure sounds like you are trying to spin this to get more out of RCL because you found out that you liked DCL better. So not cool.

My opinion is to take the 30% off and upgrade your next RCCl cruise. Chances are you will not see another towel with a band-aid.

You're kidding right?

(2) You talked to your steward who apologized to you and accepted responsibility and said that he would be in deep doo-doo if his supervisor found out.
(3) BUT THAT WASN'T ENOUGH FOR YOU! You then ratted him out to (a) reduce his gratuity and (b) get some sugar from RCL.

Agreed, mistakes happen. If this was an isolated incident then you did not need to make a fool out of him. I'm sure he/she was given the towel folded. This poor steward took full responsibility for something another crewmember overlooked in laundry. And what does he get for being a stand up guy? A lower tip. I think you've done enough.

I would have peeled the bandaid off, tossed it into the trash, and called it a day. It happens. It went through the wash and stuck - ive done the same thing at home. I certainly wouldn't demand compensation for it.

Wow, to say that "It happens.", that is truly a businesses dream come true. It would be different if it were at my own home, because the bandage would belong to someone in my home. This was a Strangers bandage, and most likely USED! Sure the blood and whatever is gone, but it is the responsibility of the stateroom host to check those towels. That should be a given... Check for odd objects on the towels before hanging it. Thanks for a different insight on things though.

OP,

What do YOU think would be reasonable compensation?

I was hoping for some sort of discount on the current cruise itself. Besides the bandage issue, there were other hiccups along the way. Specifically with the luggage tags. We were offered to do Luggage Valet with Southwest. We filled out the form and turned it in. The day luggage tags were supposed to be given (night before disembark), we decided to call to follow up. Guest services said luggage valet tags should be there sometime after 5p, and to have luggage out in the hallway by 11p. We had late dinner at the Sapphire MDR with our kids (both under 10 years old). I decided to go to our stateroom to make sure out luggage tags were there around 9:30p. Still nothing. I checked with the stateroom host who was in the hallway, and he said there was nothing under my name. Long story short, needed to stand in line with guest services (which was long around 10p). GS said something went wrong with luggage valet. I asked why they didn't notify me or give me the normal tags or something. They said, someone would have eventually contacted me and given me tags, this was past 10p already, and we still have to put our kids to bed to disembark the next morning. They gave me the luggage tags right there, but I was upset that we were not informed we could no longer to luggage valet (luggage leaves straight to the airport and I basically see it at our home destination). The only thing they said was "We were going to tell you and give you normal luggage tags eventually". It was past 10p the night before we leave!!! I think they were lying about that one.

You're kidding right?

(1) You took a VIDEO of it? What are you? A YouTube star?
(4) They penalized the steward at your request and offered a generous 30% off on your next cruise.
(5) BUT THAT WASN'T ENOUGH FOR YOU! And you are now complaining here.

Stop while you are ahead and stop being a drama king. It's not a big deal. It sure sounds like you are trying to spin this to get more out of RCL because you found out that you liked DCL better. So not cool.

The reason I video taped it is for proof. I could have taken a picture, but they could have easily said "how do we know you didn't put it there". The video shows the bandage is still stuck to the towel even after some shaking. When I brought it to the steward, he saw it and quickly grabbed it from my hands and said sorry and then gave his plea. It was almost as if he was wanting to hide the evidence and get the issue squashed quickly. And just to note, when we talked to guest services, we did tell them we do not want him to get him trouble, but we wanted RCL to be aware because maybe the laundry folks need to be trained as well. I mean honestly, is having bandaids stuck on towels during a cruise that common? Some people on here are making it seem like it is???

And as for my post originally, i was just asking opinions, and thanks for yours. I'm not really complaining because what's done is done. But I was asking also for advice, since I am not sure if the what RCL did for me was enough. I've never complained like this before, but then again we never experienced something like this either.

I do find it interesting though that there are people out there that feel drying your face on a towel with a used (granted its washed haha) bandage is not a big deal. If the steward missed that, what else did he miss?

The reason I video taped it is for proof. I could have taken a picture, but they could have easily said "how do we know you didn't put it there". The video shows the bandage is still stuck to the towel even after some shaking. When I brought it to the steward, he saw it and quickly grabbed it from my hands and said sorry and then gave his plea. It was almost as if he was wanting to hide the evidence and get the issue squashed quickly.
Of course he grabbed it from you! He was embarrassed that he missed the bandage and he did want to remove the offending towel ASAP. I would much rather have a steward show remorse and concern than one who would be, "Oh well ... here's another towel!".

And just to note, when we talked to guest services, we did tell them we do not want him to get him trouble, but we wanted RCL to be aware because maybe the laundry folks need to be trained as well.
That is a very good point :thumbsup2. The laundry should know that they missed the bandage too. BUT, you still received a reduction on your gratuities so you still penalized the steward for the mistake.

And as for my post originally, i was just asking opinions, and thanks for yours. I'm not really complaining because what's done is done. But I was asking also for advice, since I am not sure if the what RCL did for me was enough. I've never complained like this before, but then again we never experienced something like this either.
I think they did a lot for you. If I was as upset as you seem to be I might have asked for some onboard credit instead of a reduction in the gratuities. The 30% off a next cruise is a great offer, but I understand that you don't think you'll use it.

I do find it interesting though that there are people out there that feel drying your face on a towel with a used (granted its washed haha) bandage is not a big deal. If the steward missed that, what else did he miss?
Frankly, there are many more sickening things that go through the laundry and she didn't dry her face *on* the bandage. If the laundry folks or the steward had seen it, they might have just plucked if off and then where would you be? Using the same towel with no idea of what had been there. Of course, I would hope that they would have re-washed the towel instead of just removing the bandage!

If it went through the laundry process, that band aid was sterile.

You WAY overreacted. I hope you are happy that the servants on the ship got to pay for such a minor issue with money they rely on to support their families.

And how is a video proof of anything? YOU could have stuck that band aid on the towel and then started filming. Proves nothing.

If it went through the laundry process, that band aid was sterile.

You WAY overreacted. I hope you are happy that the servants on the ship got to pay for such a minor issue with money they rely on to support their families.

And how is a video proof of anything? YOU could have stuck that band aid on the towel and then started filming. Proves nothing.

So even if they don't do their job properly your suppose to just give them the tip because RCL chooses not to pay them a wage equal to the work they do? I would never tell someone not to tip but if there is a problem with the service you should feel empowered to adjust the tip to a level you see fit and sorry to most of us a bandaid on a new towel would be a failure to provide adequate service.

I mean honestly, is having bandaids stuck on towels during a cruise that common?

It is not that it is common. It's just the overall situation. I am sure it was not negligently left there by staff, it would have been another guest. Then, it is an adhesive and it is going to stick to stuff. To me, it would be like blaming the mall for a piece of gum stuck on the concourse floor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts