bag in the parks? what do you carry?

Bethany10

DIS Veteran
What kind of bag (if any) do you carry in the parks? We're headed on a land and sea trip next May, and I'm looking for a cross body style bag that can go from boarding the plane, into the parks, and on the boat easily.

Both kids are older (12 and 9 at the time of the trip), so I'm not the pack mule I used to be, but I'm sure I'm going to wind up holding drink cups, popcorn, assorted wands etc. With that much stuff I'm thinking a smaller cross body bag isn't going to cut it. I'm not a big coaster person so I wind up holding other peoples stuff while they ride.

what do you carry?

With that much stuff a cross-body would be a recipe for neck strain (for me, anyway), so I'd go backpack, maybe something from eBags or PacSafe.

a Purse with a long strap (so that it can worn across the body). It's just one good size pouch large enough to fit my wallet and my phone.

I usually carry this:

And make sure that I fill it with sunscreen, glasses case, bottle of assorted painkillers.

I am not carrying anything . Phone in pocket , ID tickets and such in a lanyard. Sunglasses on head or pocket if necessary .

I am a reformed pack mule and it is so liberating to not be one anymore. We always made our kids carry their own stuff. - after that first day they decided it wasn't that important

I am not carrying anything . Phone in pocket , ID tickets and such in a lanyard. Sunglasses on head or pocket if necessary .

I am a reformed pack mule and it is so liberating to not be one anymore. We always made our kids carry their own stuff. - after that first day they decided it wasn't that important

^^THIS!! My rule, regardless of where I am, is that I don't hold things for children.

I make sure to wear cargo shorts. I put a plastic bag in one pocket. When I go on a water ride, cell phone and wallet* go in the bag. I fold the bag over a few times and put it in my pocket. Everything stays dry.

*I also carry a modified wallet.. it's very slim and only contains driver's license, a debit card, and some cash.

I do this so I don't have to stop at bag checks. I know in Disney they have a no bag line, I don't know if Universal has one or not.

Just go to TJ Maxx or Marshall's and try the different bags- Baggalini, Kipling or Sherpani would work well as a brand. They are all super light weight on their own so you aren't starting off with unnecessary weight.
However, I usually do what Chuckers said above. I wear a cargo skort from Athleta and carry my phone, lip gloss, dl, credit card, 3 ziplocks (I need to super protect my phone as 1 always leaks, 2 is usually ok but I feel confident with the 3rd layer :).
I won't carry anyone's stuff either. I also insist on traveling light. No souvenir cups for us that have to be toted all day. Free cups of water or a special drink with a meal. :)
FYI_ you can have wand boxes sent back to the front of Universal for later day pick up (so you just need to carry wands and map vs giant box and bag +). If you're staying onsite, they will send back to your hotel.

We always stay onsite and usually only go to the parks 3-4 hours at a time. We wear lanyards. Phones are left in the room safe. We are a 10 min walk from our room so no need for bags.

We have to carry some medical supplies, so I always have a bag, but I choose the smallest and lightest bag I can get away with. DD and I each carry our own purchases - I'd start that from Day 1 with a 9 and 12 year old! I like the Ameribag Better Back Bag as it doesn't strain my back or neck, and it can move to about a thousand different positions. I have a small and an x-small, but I use the small most of the time. The XS is really small.

Thank you for the options. I do make the kids carry their own stuff, but as the non-rider I always wind up holding things while others ride. I like the idea of the sling backpack so I can stash water bottles etc in there but sill get to my phone easily.

I have a Patagonia Atom Sling for my parks/cruise excursion bag. I always end up holding wands because they will be set down and lost otherwise, but other than that they hold their own stuff. I used to bring a big backpack and hold robes, snacks, etc. but they're 8 and 11 now and I cut out the heavy backpack! The rule now is if you want to bring your robe you're responsible for wearing/carrying it.

@oakleycat I actually found a wand "pouch" on etsy. easy enough to make if you sew, but it attaches to a belt. Found another one that is a cross body type that holds the map for the interactive spells as well as the wand itself. Under normal circumstances I'd say yes it's a little over the top, but hey it's a $50 wand I want to keep it safe and out of my backpack.

I typically don't carry a bag. I have a lanyard with a ziploc-like pouch that holds my drivers license, credit card, ticket/express pass, and spare $20. Trial-size sunscreen goes in my butt pocket of my shorts, and my sunglasses go in my pockets for rides.

I never ride water rides, but I am when I go in October. So I'll more than likely carry a backpack. That way, I can pack a spare change of clothes and a poncho, just in case! My sister took a fanny pack when we went in April, and going through security was so easy with it. The lockers for the rides are free and easy, and if for some reason there's a problem with the lockers, an attendant is always right there.

A backpack is also great because it's bulky enough that you always feel it's presence on your back, but not heavy enough to hurt your shoulders. It's also nice to hold souvenirs in.

We have to carry some medical supplies, so I always have a bag, but I choose the smallest and lightest bag I can get away with. DD and I each carry our own purchases - I'd start that from Day 1 with a 9 and 12 year old! I like the Ameribag Better Back Bag as it doesn't strain my back or neck, and it can move to about a thousand different positions. I have a small and an x-small, but I use the small most of the time. The XS is really small.
Be sure if you cannot be apart from your bag due to medical reasons tell a person working there at the front of the line. I, for example, am a Type One Diabetic, so standing in line for an hour and half without any food, or my insulin is just not feasible. If you can't be separated from your bag, they will send you in a different line, and they have lockers right at the front of the ride that you can leave things by. There are pros and cons to it. You miss part of the line, but then you also miss the line itself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter