Backpack advice

jerzgrl

Disney Dreamer "A dream is a wish you heart m
Leaving for first Disney trip ever on May 17th! Getting ready.

Want to carry a camera, video camera, snacks, ponchos, wipes, bandaids, ziplock bags (for wet clothes), etc but don't want a montrosity of a backpack.

Can any dis vets or experienced disney goers recommend a good backpack? I have target, wallmarts, kmarts, dicks, sports authority's all over the area. What's the best that can fit the most?

thanks so much!

I would go to Wal-Mart to buy a backpack called EastPort. They come in all types of sizes.

I love mine because I have medium size one that is fire engine red. Also I have a messager bag by EastPort. Both can be had for under 15.00 dollars.

I have also that backpack with wheels that I carry on vacation with me. It's by EastPort and can found at Wal-mart to.

Originally posted by campingcorgi
A clear one will get you through security faster.

Clear Backpack are usually made of plastic and will get very uncomfortable during the day because your skin will get hot sticky next to the plastic all day.

I have a Jansport back pack which I love. Jansport will also replace the bag free of charge if something breaks or tears on it. Keep the tags though. I have a Jansport that I got when I was Sophmore (1989) in high school. They have replaced it 3 times. I used the "same" bag all the way through college. I still have it and use it as my travel bag now.

It seems important to note that while a clear back pack may get you through security faster because they can see what's there, any thief can also see what's there. If you're carrying a camera and video camera, that and any souvenirs would make you a target for the bad guys. We don't like to think of bad guys at the Disney parks, but at the least, they lurk outside!
Have a great time!
Oh, and for my two cents, consider a back pack with a waist strap. It's invaluable for redistributing the weight of your pack (especially when you've been out shopping!) and may save your back.
Lydia

The clear one might get hot & sticky.

I would recommend a Nike, Lands End or a East Pack, something light in color also.

Have a great trip

You can find see through backpacks that are made of a durable nylon mesh. Not hot and sticky like clear plastic (although not waterproof....or even water resistant). Jansport makes one and I think Eastpak does too.

We have many backpacks from our college days and we love Jansport & Eastpack backpacks...I think I took the Jansport last time, but I may switch around this trip.

Make sure you pick a sturdy backpack; the cheap vinyl backed canvas ones can break on you while in the park. Superior zippers are a must. Keep compartments to a minimum, 2 or 3 tops for security checks. Washability is important, too. After a week in the heat and on water rides they tend to develop a rather funky smell. I bought a Timberland medium sized model last year and it's already been to Disney three times and is going back May 29.

Place everything you put in the backpack into gallon Ziploc freezer bags. Rain ponchos work well in a small, outside pocket. When you get to the security table, just unzip your backpack compartments and lift up each bag for the guard to see. Quick, easy and everything stays dry and organized.

We've been to WDW with 3 boys, 3-17, over 30 times and I'm the family packhorse. Having one person (Mom) in charge of packing and handling the backpack keeps confusion and forgotten bags to a minimum. I pack it every night in the hotel for the next day and zip out to the park in the morning.

Have a wonderful, magical trip. You're going to Disney World!
Be sure and file a trip report (from a first timer's perspective) when you get home.

Hi, we found a sturdy and really cool backpack at wal-mart. It happens to have Mickey on the bag wearing really hip clothes and Mickey faces all over the straps.I suggest bringing an empty water bottle into the park instead of paying $5.00 for water in the park you can just fill the empty bottle up at any fountain in the park. I always pack my important items ($, tickets , etc.) seperatly so they will be easily found when a purchase needs to be made or when we need to get fast passes. I also bring a waterproof bag inside my backback for my son's hearing aids so they will not get wet if we go on a ride where water can be an issue.

I have an Ameribag Healthy bag backpack and I love it! It is a little more expensive than a regular backpack but it is so worth it. It only has one strap and is a teardrop shape that distributes the weight better and the best part is all the pockets. I have a small nylon bag and I paid around $40 at my local AAA. Not all AAA's carry them and they had to get one from another office but now mine carries them. I also recently saw them offered in an AVON catalogue for a good price. You can pay a lot more for them online and on ebay. Everytime I use mine it takes me a few weeks to switch back to a regular purse. :D

I took into account everyone's advice and got a Eastpack at Wall Mart for about $15. A light color with many different compartments. will use the advice regarding gallon ziplocks to pack everything in.

And I will take your advice onbothernc on writing a trip report. I am so excited. I turn 35 on Friday, never been to Disney and on Saturday my dream will come true in being able to save and plan a trip for all four of us to go on.

Thank you so so much!

Last year at US we used reg. backpack and it was hard to take on and off- as rides dictated. I just found a shoulder bag with a waist strapat the GAP. Not too big and a triangle design that opens right up for easy access to the cargo. It also is well padded on the straps and when empty flattens right down. The strap can go around the neck or on a shoulder and has a loop to carry in your hand. I fould the regular back-packs have too many straps and if it is hot out it traps heat on your back. Have a great time - we will be going for Mem.Day week.

You know what's so great about the DIS boards? It seems like everytime I have a question to ask, there's already a thread that answers it! ;-)

Here's an add-on question though ... Are guests allowed to take their backpacks on rides, or do they need to be left behind with a CM? DF just purchased a camcorder for our trip (a few months early, yes, but at least he's as excited as I am!) There was a downside to the purchase though -- now he's paranoid about it being stolen or broken somehow. In fact, earlier today I struggled for about 15 minutes to attach the shoulder strap (I'm not very handy, I'll admit it!) and when I went to show him how it looked, he snatched up the camera and cowered over it like a mama cub protecting her baby bear. I glared at him and he just shrugged and said "It looked like you were about to drop it!"

::Grumble:: But back to my original question ... What are the regulations as far as backpacks and attractions? Thanks!

If you have an Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) in your area I would start there...they might be a little more price wise but all you have to do is ask and they will be more than happy to fit you with what you'll need...

ScarletIndigo I have taken my backpack on all the rides. As long as you can safely secure it then there shouldn't be a problem. I do know that the CMs won't hold them for you while you ride. If you don't want to ride witht he backpack then you can always rent a locker and stow it in there for awhile.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter