Back Stage Magic June 2016 - Mini Trip Report - Finally Back to Finish Up

Summary of our thoughts on this trip

As Disneyland regulars we went into this trip a little bit worried about whether it would be “worth it” and whether the kids would be able to go with the flow and not do Disneyland their regular way (going from ride to ride). Reflecting on this trip six months later, I think the whole family whole heartedly agrees that this was worth it and one of the best experiences travel or otherwise that we have ever had. There were definitely enough differences and extras on this trip to justify the cost over doing a trip to Disneyland on your own if you are a Disney fanatic like we are. I don’t think this trip is for everyone though. It is not a trip to take as a way to see Disneyland with preferred access. This trip really does take its time and show you the “story” and the behind the scenes aspects of Disney (the Park, the man, and the studios). I think the trip is best for those who are fans of all of those things and like to hear the stories. I think this trip can be great for kids if they also fit the mold of “Disney-freak.” All of the “kids” in our group fit that mold. All of them except one had had many Disney visits under their belts and were fans of the concept of Disney and/or very interested in Imagineering. I think that kids who just wanted to go on rides would be bored. My daughter at 11.5 was the youngest of the “kids” on the trip. She loved it because she is a Disney-phile and because of all the new friends. In my opinion, this trip would be a stretch for younger kids because it would be hard to keep them from just wanting to run to ride to ride.

The day at Studios and Imagineering alone made this trip well worth it for us. I have seen the question come up as to whether there are enough backstage/extra things included as opposed to doing the guided tours at the Park or hiring a private guide for the day. The ABD trip goes far beyond the things you get to do with either of those two options, so again worth it in my opinion. This is definitely not a “foodie” trip, but the Carthay Circle meal provides one foodie experience.

I would also suggest adding on a day before the trip to do the VIP tour at Universal. It was very much worth the cost for us as a “one time” experience at Universal. The backlot tour that is included with the VIP tour was much more detailed than the regular tram tour. It is also a nice complement to the ABD tour, because you really don’t get much on the ABD about movie/TV filming. The Disney Studios lot has fairly limited filming these days.

Sorry that it took six months to wrap up my thoughts on this trip, but I would be happy to answer any specific questions or offer tips as a frequent DL visitor to those of you planning this trip or trips to Northern California.

Appreciate you coming back to do the wrap up on this thread. I went back and re-read it all. Since you did your trip, Val & I did our 4th BSM trip. Much of what you experienced still pertains although there was never any question about getting to Walt's Apartment so that wrinkle has been ironed out.

Our trip isn't until December, but we are definitely flying in early and doing the VIP experience at Universal! I would have never thought to do that, so I very much appreciate you giving that bit of information.

We also enjoyed the Universal VIP, as well as a morning at Warner Brothers and a full day with A Day in LA tours - all different stops to anything we did with ABD so would recommend these activities too!

Appreciate you coming back to do the wrap up on this thread. I went back and re-read it all. Since you did your trip, Val & I did our 4th BSM trip. Much of what you experienced still pertains although there was never any question about getting to Walt's Apartment so that wrinkle has been ironed out.

Very interesting. I am glad that you were able to go and did not have all the drama around it like we did.

We also enjoyed the Universal VIP, as well as a morning at Warner Brothers and a full day with A Day in LA tours - all different stops to anything we did with ABD so would recommend these activities too!

Glad you enjoyed it. I was very happily surprised by it too and felt it was a good complement to ABD. The only other addition in retrospect that would have been fun to add in would be to attend a taping of a show. Then you would really have a complete Hollywood experience. I attended college in Southern Calif so it is something that DH and I have done, but not the kids.

Thanks for the report. We enjoyed the same trip two years ago and headed back thus July for a so cal 2 week trip! Definitely want to do universal VIP. Can u remember how many hours you stayed at universal?

How far in advance did you purchase the VIP tickets? We want to make sure we get it and wasn't sure if this was something that 'sells out' early or not

Thanks for the report. We enjoyed the same trip two years ago and headed back thus July for a so cal 2 week trip! Definitely want to do universal VIP. Can u remember how many hours you stayed at universal?

I think we checked in for our VIP tour at about 8:30 and were with our guide until maybe 2 or 2:30. Our VIP passes were then good for the rest of the day to use on our own. We left probably around 6:00 pm and went to dinner in City Walk. In that time we did just about everything except a couple of the shows. We road several rides including the two Harry Potter ones multiple times. By 6:00 we felt we had had a VERY successful day. And for reference we were there on a Saturday in late June so I don't think it was a slow day. :) The pass/tour were very much worth it to us.

How far in advance did you purchase the VIP tickets? We want to make sure we get it and wasn't sure if this was something that 'sells out' early or not

We went in late June on a Saturday and I can't remember exactly when we bought our tickets but it was probably in late April or May. They definitely do sell out so as soon as you know your dates, I would purchase especially if it is in peak time.

@hilarys I had to re-read your trip report since we're putting down a deposit on BSM for 2018. I've only been on 1 ABD prior & they gave us a link to pictures that the ABD guides took. Did the tour also include DL photo pass? I'm trying to plan our pre/post days as well so I appreciated that you covered what your family did.

@hilarys I had to re-read your trip report since we're putting down a deposit on BSM for 2018. I've only been on 1 ABD prior & they gave us a link to pictures that the ABD guides took. Did the tour also include DL photo pass? I'm trying to plan our pre/post days as well so I appreciated that you covered what your family did.

When I did tour there was no photopass link for the rides hope that changed. Guides gave us link to their pictures they took

When I did tour there was no photopass link for the rides hope that changed. Guides gave us link to their pictures they took
Same experience for us - no photo pass included, but tons and tons of pictures from the guides. We don't tend to take as many pix at DL as compared to WDW so we don't really ever get photopass for our visits there. The guides even took pictures with the characters for us at the character breakfasts.

Have a great trip.

Thanks for a great report. I’m considering this trip and wondered if admission to the parks on the final day (post breakfast, pre departure) is included. Thanks!

Thanks for a great report. I’m considering this trip and wondered if admission to the parks on the final day (post breakfast, pre departure) is included. Thanks!

Thank you. Yes, you do get a park ticket for that day.

It is a great trip.

I really have taken the plunge. My Goddaughter and I are going on the DIS ABD Dec 2018. We are so looking forward to it!! We are east Coasters so we are adding on a preday and a post day. Too early to book flights yet but I am hoping that we leave early and arrive early so that we can assimilate better than we did the last Cali trip we did the last time.
I have a couple of questions for you.
1). Is it possible to do the Universal VIP tour and be back to the hotel by the dinner?
2) What would you do on the afternoon/evening of arrival? We will have either traveled the night before to the town that the airport is in and my Goddaughter will have worked all day. Maybe even until 10 or 11 pm. She works retail and we will have a better idea of what her schedule during the month of December will be. We will probably fly out of Norfolk, Richmond or even Regan or Dulles depending on the better flights and stops.
3) What transportation would you use to and from universal?

Thanks in advance for the information

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter