back injury

REEREEG

Mouseketeer
I hurt my back really badly in May. We actually had to fly home from Disney the second day there bc I couldn't feel my legs. We are trying to redo that trip in August now that I'm better, but I'm really anxious.

At home I ice my back at least twice a day. Does anyone have good suggestions for icing at a hotel? I know the mini fridges don't get cold enough for regular ice packs... Are any instant ice packs good, or ways to crush ice cubes to make old school ice packs?

Right now I can walk okay but sometimes during the day, I start having trouble. Is it secure enough to leave a scooter in a general location so that it's available later but be able to walk around when doing ok?

Any idea if flight of passage is jerky or would hurt?

We leave in 20 days and DS (10) has a broken shoulder and a high ankle sprain. He ices both 4+ times a day at home, but I know that won't be possible at Disney. I have some instant ice packs that I will bring. They are ok, but they don't get super cold and I feel like they don't last very long (not that you are supposed to ice for too long at a time). I am bringing gallon and quart sized Ziploc bags to fill with ice at the hotel (from the ice machine) to create ice packs. We will probably use first aid if we need to take a break or ice in the park. Unless a QS will give me a bag of ice.

I just saw this "ice tape" at CVS today. I want to look into it. I want to look into it, or something similar https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Ease-...=UTF8&qid=1500867341&sr=8-1&keywords=Ice+tape

I don't know about ECVs but I see lots of people reference leaving them parked and walking when possible. It seems pretty common. We are planning on doing that with a W/C for DS.

My DH has been dealing with a back injury for several years. He hasn't had any relief from oral meds. He has gotten some relief from some topical creams (Arnicare and those with lidocaine). They have helped him tackle Disney with less pain.

I hope you are feeling better and able to enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Thanks - that ice tape looks cool!i will check that out.

I have been using lidocaine patches (they are over the counter now). Your husband might like those. The oral painkillers do nothing for me too. The ER docs laughed bc they are used to people asking for narcotics but I refused them but begged for prednisone!

I hurt my back really badly in May. We actually had to fly home from Disney the second day there bc I couldn't feel my legs. We are trying to redo that trip in August now that I'm better, but I'm really anxious.

At home I ice my back at least twice a day. Does anyone have good suggestions for icing at a hotel? I know the mini fridges don't get cold enough for regular ice packs... Are any instant ice packs good, or ways to crush ice cubes to make old school ice packs?

Right now I can walk okay but sometimes during the day, I start having trouble. Is it secure enough to leave a scooter in a general location so that it's available later but be able to walk around when doing ok?

when I used instant ice packs they really did not get cold enough of stay cold long enough for me.

I would either bring some zip lick bags and use the ice mashed at the the hotel to fill the bags up and make your own this way.

and for when you are at the park have some zip lock bags with you in QS resrount will give you free ice if you ask, or go in to first aid where they can give you free ice packs they also have some OTC meds and places to lie down if you need it.

as fair as the ECV goes yes it will be fine ( or really should be fine) to leave some where, take the key with you and do not leave anything of value with the ECV and you should be fine. You might want to cover the ECV with something like a garbage back so if it rains it will not get wet, and if you can put the set down, so the set does not get to hot.

bring an old fashioned ice bag and refill it with ice from the ice machines in the hotel or ask for ice at a quick service or first aid station.

https://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Ice-Bag-Blue-Inch/dp/B000PD1EU2

Yes to this. My son has permanent nerve damage in his spinal cord and gets horrible spasms. When he first got it and was in the hospital they gave him the instant ice packs and those did so little good he just stopped using them. I went to the drug store and bought an old fashioned ice bag, asked the nurses for ice and an extra towel and he almost cried with relief. Because his is nerve related the things that give a little electric shock also help, can't remember the name but you can buy those over the counter as well.

I found that the ice in the ziplock bag thing had one little problem-the ice would melt and get everything wet, so I'd wrap a towel around me and the area, and I wouldn't use it on the bed. Otherwise, this is very helpful-I did it many times.

I found that the ice in the ziplock bag thing had one little problem-the ice would melt and get everything wet, so I'd wrap a towel around me and the area, and I wouldn't use it on the bed. Otherwise, this is very helpful-I did it many times.

Thanks for the reminder! DS always puts a towel around his ice packs, so I will make sure he does it with the Ziploc bag makeshift ice pack too.

Thanks for the reminder! DS always puts a towel around his ice packs, so I will make sure he does it with the Ziploc bag makeshift ice pack too.
You want to put a towel around to prevent wetness, but also prevent getting a thermal injury (like frostbite) from skin contact with the icy pack.

The old fashioned ice bags are leak resistant and also provide a little insulation betwe n the ice and your skin. A quantity of ice with a bit of water will be colder and form better than only ice cubes.

A TENS unit. My DH uses one and swears by it for relief of his back or knee pain.
I just saw an ad for one of the over the counter ones - Aleve Direct Relief. You're have to check with your doctor to know whether that device would be helpful.

You want to put a towel around to prevent wetness, but also prevent getting a thermal injury (like frostbite) from skin contact with the icy pack.

The old fashioned ice bags are leak resistant and also provide a little insulation betwe n the ice and your skin. A quantity of ice with a bit of water will be colder and form better than only ice cubes.

Oh absolutely never ice on skin! DS always ices on top of his clothes and then wraps the ice in a towel too. Probably why those instant ice packs never seem cold enough, all those layers!

I think I will look for the old fashioned type of ice bag. Thanks for the great tips and advice!

Don't forget that you can go to First Aid in the Parks, and they will give you a place to lie down, and an ice pack if needed.

Any idea if flight of passage is jerky or would hurt?[/QUOTE]

We are planning a trip next month, and it will be our first time to the Pandora rides. My MIL hurt her back several years ago (compression fracture) and had surgery to repair it. Can she ride Flight of Passage? She doesn't have motion sickness or height issues, but I can't tell from the video if the movements are smooth or jerky?

We are planning a trip next month, and it will be our first time to the Pandora rides. My MIL hurt her back several years ago (compression fracture) and had surgery to repair it. Can she ride Flight of Passage? She doesn't have motion sickness or height issues, but I can't tell from the video if the movements are smooth or jerky?[/QUOTE]

I would say it’s fine fine. My back hurt more with the jerky movements on things like it’s a small world & pirates when the boats bump each other than on flight of passage

For FOP - I found it smooth, but with some sudden 'stops' that hurt my abdomen (I had a condition at the time that caused a lot of lower abdominal pain) a little bit. Maybe watch some videos of the attraction on YouTube? Also, you sit bent forward a bit. That may bother a back?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!