Back from Vero 7/21 - 7/29

MrsNick

<font color=darkorchid>sometimes out of desperatio
Just returned from a week at Vero and took a side trip to WDW for one day.

Vero was lovely as ever. We got in quite late Saturday night, so we checked into the Vero Best Western just to put our heads down. I got up early on Sunday and was checking in to Vero DVC at 8:35 AM. Good call to wait until Sunday to check-in. The cast member told me that they had 142 checkouts that day. So, had we checked in on Saturday, I think we may not have had a great choice of rooms.

After check-in, the CM's kindly brought out the two chairs and umbrella from the chair swap that Starbox organized (thanks Starbox!).

I put those into the back of the car, and drove off to hit Target for some essentials. By 10 AM, was back at the Best Western to pick up DH and head back to Vero DVC. DH was hungry, so we went to brunch in Shutters. Brunch was so good that DH said he wanted to have brunch again on our departure day (who would I be to say no?)

After brunch, we hit the restroom, put on our swimsuits, grabbed our chair swap chairs and hit the beach. Have I mentioned that Vero is as lovely as ever? At 2:30 PM, we checked to see if the room was ready and surprise! It was ready!

We were assigned room 2425 - great room. It's a fourth floor corner ocean view room on the north side of the inn. It was a beautiful room. Windows on two sides. The layout is slightly different than the other rooms. The kitchenette is separate from the rest of the room. It's in the entry, and then the short hallway leads into the room. The window facing the north side had a view of Villa 12 and the ocean. This area by the side window was also indented, so you could store luggage there, or even put an aerobed, and it was sort of hidden from the rest of the room. The ocean view from the east facing window was stunning. The balcony was tiny, though. You couldn't open the door to the balcony without it hitting one of the two patio chairs. But, I'm NOT complaining. I'd happily take this room every trip, if I could! Vero appears to be done on a room ready system, and the CM said that since we were checking in so early, there was a decent chance of getting into the room before 4 PM because they clean them in the order that they are assigned that day. I am just passing on what she told me, this is just hearsay.

Weather was quite unstable. Not the usual afternoon rain shower, but a few days where it started raining early in the day and then just kept on raining. One day during one such rain storm, the resort lost power so we went to the movies. At least once per day, the pool was closed as was the patio for the Green Cabin room due to inclement weather (read lightning in the area). Luckily, we still managed to get in a good amount of beach time.

We had dinner at Shutters once, and Sonya's twice. The second time we actually wanted to eat at Shutters, but it was an hour wait, so we opted for Sonya's (ahh, the sacrifices we must make). Both meals at Sonya's were very good. I was a little bit disappointed with the menu, though. There were sooo many red meat dishes on the menu, but not one chicken dish. There were three steak dishes (prime rib, filet mignon and NY strip), as well as a pork dish and a lamb dish. There were a couple of fish dishes, but no chicken or duck. I had the fish dishes, and they were very good, but I feel that the menu could be a little bit more well-rounded. I love steak, but not really when it's 90 degrees out. It's just such a heavy meal. If it had been cooler out, I'd have been diving into the steak.

We also enjoyed our dinner at Shutters. I was worried that I wouldn't based on some of the comments I had read here on the DIS before our trip. I had the rotisserie chicken, and it was great. DH had the steak, and I know he really enjoyed it.

We finally made it to the Ocean Grill, and you Vero experts were right. This place is great! DH sucked down a Painkiller, then ordered one more (he managed to finish a quarter of the second one and then realized that any more Painkiller might be DH-Killer pirate: , so, he let that one go un-ingested :rotfl: ). We had the calamari appetizer - it was so yummy. DH ordered the mixed kebab grill special, and I ordered the cobin special. Both were quite good. Sadly, we were much too full for dessert, even though they looked incredible (they brought the tray out for the table next to us).

As for our our one day side trip to WDW (for the purpose of dining at Jiko). We had a studio at BWV, because that's where DH said he wanted to stay. When we got there, he was confused because he thinks of SSR as having a boardwalk, due to DTD. So, actually, he wanted to stay at SSR :lmao:

Some pixie dust was sprinkled on us, though. We had reserved a preferred view and waitlisted for BW view. Waitlist never came through, but at check-in, I asked them if they could see if a BW view happened to have opened up, and the CM told me that we had received a complimentary upgrade to BW view! :wizard: So, I guess we received a dream. On top of this fabulous luck, we were told our room was ready (it was about 2:30 PM), so I practically dragged DH up to the room so I could see this view that I had heard so much about (we've never stayed at BWV before). We had a great view and could clearly see the golfball. Sadly, we weren't in our room for the fireworks, because we were eating dinner at that point. But, I digress. We had the afternoon to kill before dinner, so we figured we'd hit the BW pool.

Did I mention the WDW resorts were crowded? We had a mango margarita at the pool bar and then ran away from the BW pool because it was so packed it was like people soup. We pool hopped to SSR. Even HRS was pretty crowded. So, we mosey'd on over to the Grandstand pool and Heaven :cloud9: It was not crowded, there were plenty of chairs, and the pool bar was open! We have now found our favorite pool in all of WDW. A feature pool that is quiet and relaxed that has a bar (we're not big drinkers but like that we don't have to schlep our own sodas or run back and forth to another area to get something).

Pretty much, I think that's it for DH. We'll be staying at SSR when we're at WDW. DH would like to try the VWL at some point, but other than that, he's now a SSR groupie (at WDW, that is - he still really prefers the beach DVC's - I guess he'd get along with Rob :) ).

Valet was no problem at BWV or AKV. I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason, Jiko was not quite as good as it had been on previous visits. Don't get me wrong, it was still very good, just not quite the same. In the future, we won't be making a special trip from Vero to dine there :sad1:

We checked out out of our OVIR on Friday morning, and into a studio. I was worried that the move would be a big PIA, but I learned a few things about room moves at Vero. The CM who checked us in on this day told me that they do try to get you into your next room right away when you are doing a room change, so that you aren't "homeless" but that sometimes it can't be helped. I was shocked. I had no expectation that you would receive any different treatment from anyone else checking in, but apparently, they do give some consideration to those who are doing room changes so that it isn't too disruptive. In addition, I was shocked when she said we didn't have to move ourselves. Bell services handled the whole thing. We didn't even have to be in the room when they picked up our stuff. They transferred our things into our studio room, and it went without a hitch, even though we also had the boxes from the chair swap and a bunch of shirts on hangers that were laid flat on the bed. We were told to check back at 1:30 PM to see if our room was ready. Since it was pouring rain, we checked at 1:20, and the room was ready! I couldn't believe the unbelievable good luck we had on this trip with rooms being ready well before 4 PM. We were assigned room 1241 in villa 12. Again, more good luck. This was the studio portion of a lockoff on the top floor or the building. It was a corner room, so we did have a very decent partial ocean view. Again, we had a window facing north, and the balcony facing northeast.

To sum up, we really received a lot of pixie dust. All three of our rooms were ready before 4 PM, and in each case, we ended up with a great view. We had not made any requests, other than that we prefer to be on an upper floor if possible.

It was a great trip. Did not want to return to work, but hey, now I can start planning our next trip, right?

It sounds wonderful!!! We were at VB twice this year, and once we hit lots and lots of rain, and this was at the time that Florida was considered to be in drought conditions.

Since OVIR's and studios are the same number of points, did you have to move because the resort was full when you made your ressie? It sounds like you had a great studio, we had one on the first floor ne corner, but viewed people walking by exclusively...not complaining, if I have a balcony, I'm happy.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Hey Mrs. Nick... what a great trip. Thanks for the detailed report.

I'll have to keep room #2425 in mind for our next trip. It is interesting that Sunday had so many people checking out. I always figured Thur or Fri would be the big check-out days. We typically check in on Sunday. I am a bit surprised to hear they are cleaning roooms as assigned... I would not have guessed that.

Bummer about the rain. I guess everybody probably needs rain about now. So just think of it as taking one for the team.

I know a while back someone was asking about accomodations off site. Did you find the Best Western to be comfortable, reasonable, clean?

You know, I have to smile sometimes when I read people who love the food at one or the other of Shutters and Sonya's, but hates the other's food, because the food for both come from the same kitchen. I don't know, but I might bet if you had said you wanted chicken they would have let you order from the other menu (just guessing though).

A tip for the future meals is that even though they don't advertise it they will sell you carry-out. We've done this on a number of occasions. Take it back to the room or to a table at the pool and you have a nicer setting for eating a meal. Plus the portions are big enough that DW and I order 1 entree and 2 salads and we just divide the entree and use our refillable mugs for beverages. That along with no tip involved, cuts the meal cost by more than half.

Calimari.... you mean SQUID :scared: I prefer cow. As for lamb (or veal)... DW does not allow baby animals to be eaten in our family. :hippie:

Glad you had a magical time and Yup, (as sb would say) start that planning. I love knowing what we're doing next and the anticipation of going.

:beach:

Thanks for the great trip report!! Sound like a great trip! :goodvibes

Glad to hear your approval of Shutters. I was getting a bit concerned about the quality as well as the selection. I know the menu has changed to negatively affect our family (a Veggie, a picky 'tween and a little one) so we will not be eating there very much our next trip.

Hey Mrs. Nick, We were there at the same time. We checked in on the 22nd and checked out on the 28th!!! The weather did seem a little severe every day. The waves were great, also. Glad you had a good time, we also had a blast!!! Were you there the night of the fire drill? :)

Chef Anette left Jiko on July 7. I wonder if that's why you didn't enjoy it as much. I was concerned that after she left they would not maintain her very high standards and maybe that's exactly what's happening. What a shame.

We were there then too...we checked in on 7/22 and out on 7/28. We were in one of the cottages (#1150). Somehow we missed the fire drill. When was that??? We felt the same about the rain...it came and didn't seem to leave, but we really enjoyed the trip anyway. We just hit the beach/pool early and figured we'd go until the weather hit. We take my sister a lot with us and both she and our kids (DS6, DDs 9 and 11) said they enjoyed this trip more than Disney World itself! I'm aghast, but at least it's still a disney resort!

Great Trip Report!! Glad you enjoyed VB our fav Home away from Home!..

I can't wait we are going back in 2 weeks! So the rain wasn't the typical 3:30 - 6:30 showers?

Michelle B just wondering if you were able to get into your BC before 4:00?

Hey Mrs. Nick... what a great trip. Thanks for the detailed report.

I'll have to keep room #2425 in mind for our next trip. It is interesting that Sunday had so many people checking out. I always figured Thur or Fri would be the big check-out days. We typically check in on Sunday. I am a bit surprised to hear they are cleaning roooms as assigned... I would not have guessed that.

Bummer about the rain. I guess everybody probably needs rain about now. So just think of it as taking one for the team.

I know a while back someone was asking about accomodations off site. Did you find the Best Western to be comfortable, reasonable, clean?

You know, I have to smile sometimes when I read people who love the food at one or the other of Shutters and Sonya's, but hates the other's food, because the food for both come from the same kitchen. I don't know, but I might bet if you had said you wanted chicken they would have let you order from the other menu (just guessing though).

A tip for the future meals is that even though they don't advertise it they will sell you carry-out. We've done this on a number of occasions. Take it back to the room or to a table at the pool and you have a nicer setting for eating a meal. Plus the portions are big enough that DW and I order 1 entree and 2 salads and we just divide the entree and use our refillable mugs for beverages. That along with no tip involved, cuts the meal cost by more than half.

Calimari.... you mean SQUID :scared: I prefer cow. As for lamb (or veal)... DW does not allow baby animals to be eaten in our family. :hippie:

Glad you had a magical time and Yup, (as sb would say) start that planning. I love knowing what we're doing next and the anticipation of going.

:beach:

Is #2425 a OVIR or 1 Bdrm? You can only request the room at check in right? We just passed ROFR on our Vero Beach contract so now I need to start thinking about a ressie and possibly that autotrain. What is your experience concerning OVIR vs. 1 bdrm? Thanks for any info.;)

Halle, we didn't arrive until about 5:30, but it was ready then. I'm sorry this doesn't help.

Not to be a beach cottage snob, but if you can request a building, ask for building 1250, 1450, or 1475. We had a decent view of the ocean to the sides of our deck because we had tree growth in the middle, but building 1250 had no obstruction at all. From appearances from the beach, the other 2 buildings had better views also. We were hoping for a clear view but I'm not complaining...we were happy with what we got and it's just an FYI.

Those of you who were there in July, how was the love bugs? We were there in mid May for the first time and there seems to be a lots of love bugs everywhere. There were so much of those bugs that we couldn't get out on the balcony and my DD would not go up the pirate ship slid becuase the deck of the ship was literally covered with dead bugs. My DW doesn't want to go back to VB ever again in May. I don't know, if there were more than usual amount of bugs this past May due to lots of brush fires and some tropical stroms in northern Florida. People at the rental car place were shocked of how much dead bugs were covering the car, when I return it at the Orland airport. Seriously, I was barely able to see through the windshield by the time I got to the airport.
I am hoping that it is not like that throughout the whole Summer and am wondering if anyone were bothered by those love bugs in July.

Is #2425 a OVIR or 1 Bdrm? You can only request the room at check in right? We just passed ROFR on our Vero Beach contract so now I need to start thinking about a ressie and possibly that autotrain. What is your experience concerning OVIR vs. 1 bdrm? Thanks for any info.;)

Well... both the OVIR and the 1 bdrm are really attractive to us... We really like the laundry, extra space, and the extra space... in the 1 bdrm, but we really like the ocean view... and even more... leaving the door open overnight in the OVIR room and listening to the waves all night long... We now tend to switch room type from year to year.. Just can't make a decision... We are just glad we have such a difficult decision to make... VB is perrrrrfect... I'm sure Pat understands perrrrfect. Though, I am not sure Pat has visited VB yet... just not sure about that one.

Well... both the OVIR and the 1 bdrm are really attractive to us... We really like the laundry, extra space, and the extra space... in the 1 bdrm, but we really like the ocean view... and even more... leaving the door open overnight in the OVIR room and listening to the waves all night long... We now tend to switch room type from year to year.. Just can't make a decision... We are just glad we have such a difficult decision to make... VB is perrrrrfect... I'm sure Pat understands perrrrfect. Though, I am not sure Pat has visited VB yet... just not sure about that one.

I really want to visit in October, but next year I will have to ressie in August. I hear schools in Fla. go back last 2 wks in August? Just wonder if it is too hot then...maybe on the ocean it won't be as bad as WDW. So torn between that lovely OVIR or that 1 bdrm. Maybe since it will be our first vist, I will just go for the OVIR....will the CM's show an available 1 bdrm ? Thanks for all your info Rob, it has been wonderful. Give us your trip report on HH! :wizard:

I really want to visit in October, but next year I will have to ressie in August. I hear schools in Fla. go back last 2 wks in August? Just wonder if it is too hot then...maybe on the ocean it won't be as bad as WDW. So torn between that lovely OVIR or that 1 bdrm. Maybe since it will be our first vist, I will just go for the OVIR....will the CM's show an available 1 bdrm ? QUOTE]

BWV Dreamin.... This will be our 6th August visit this year and it does get hot and humid but that is what the pool and ocean are for! :cool1: I dont mind the heat but it effects people differently.....

The CM's will show a 1 Bdrm if available.... to get real excited have them show you a BC if open... IMHO they are the best accomodations at any DVC resort!:thumbsup2

I really want to visit in October, but next year I will have to ressie in August. I hear schools in Fla. go back last 2 wks in August? Just wonder if it is too hot then...maybe on the ocean it won't be as bad as WDW. So torn between that lovely OVIR or that 1 bdrm. Maybe since it will be our first vist, I will just go for the OVIR....will the CM's show an available 1 bdrm ? QUOTE]

BWV Dreamin.... This will be our 6th August visit this year and it does get hot and humid but that is what the pool and ocean are for! :cool1: I dont mind the heat but it effects people differently.....

The CM's will show a 1 Bdrm if available.... to get real excited have them show you a BC if open... IMHO they are the best accomodations at any DVC resort!:thumbsup2

Will do! We will probably go down your same week next year! Are you doing that chair swap? How are the crowds? Will just be the hubby and my 19 yr. old with me, so I'm hoping for a relaxing time (hopefully little rain!).:angel:

Hi, everyone, sorry it took me so long to get back to you. That work thing keeps getting in my way, lol.

Hopefully I can answer a few questions :goodvibes

The Best Western was fine, and the price was quite reasonable (about $90 after tax). It's right of I95 on Rte. 60. We had a room with a King bed and a sofa bed, along with a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker. It was clean. We did have some fun at the bar area, as there were a few people right out of central casting. The room was comfortable, although we did not feel comfortable leaving our luggage in the car since it isn't gate-secured like DVC resorts are (I was hoping to only bring in the stuff in our carry-on). So, we did end up emptying out the car and dragging it up the stairs to our room. Next time, if we decide to pay cash for a room the night before, we may well go ahead and do it at the Vero DVC, but just choose a different room type so we still get the benefit of early check-in without the hassle of an off-site place, especially, now that we know how wonderful the CM's are at VB DVC when it comes to room changes :cloud9:

As far as chicken, we did ask, and they said that they sometimes have it on the menu, sometimes not, but they did not offer to let me have the chicken from Shutters :confused3

Since OVIR's and studios are the same number of points, did you have to move because the resort was full when you made your ressie? Bobbi:goodvibes

I paid cash for the last two nights, which were a Friday and Saturday to conserve points. I was able to get a discount on the studio, but not for the OVIR (I assume because OVIR's are more popular). Since we'd never stayed in a studio, I thought this would be a good opportunity to give it a whirl. We liked the studio very much, thought it was very cozy. Since we conserved points this year, we should be able to spring for a 1BR or 2BR next year (and get the living space and washer/dryer), or maybe go for two weeks instead of one :banana: Of course, like Rob, we do find the pull of the OVIR to be compelling...Hmm...decisions decisions decisions...

Hey Mrs. Nick, We were there at the same time. We checked in on the 22nd and checked out on the 28th!!! The weather did seem a little severe every day. The waves were great, also. Glad you had a good time, we also had a blast!!! Were you there the night of the fire drill?

Hey, Allen...we missed the excitement of the fire drill. Was the drill on Tuesday or Friday? On Tuesday, we drove to WDW to dine at Jiko. On Friday, the steady pouring rain followed by the power outage compelled us to seek our fortunes at the Indian River Mall AMC movie theater popcorn::

Chef Anette left Jiko on July 7. I wonder if that's why you didn't enjoy it as much. I was concerned that after she left they would not maintain her very high standards and maybe that's exactly what's happening. What a shame.

VrBchJ, you may have hit on something. I sure hope that our experience was a fluke, but fear that you might be right. Well, like I said, we won't be making a special trip from VB anymore, but will give it another chance when we are already at WDW. If we find that it doesn't live up to our (admittedly very high) expectations, we'll be sampling some of the other restaurants that we've always meant to get to, like Citricos and Artist's Point.

Great Trip Report!! Glad you enjoyed VB our fav Home away from Home!..
I can't wait we are going back in 2 weeks! So the rain wasn't the typical 3:30 - 6:30 showers?

Hi, Mahusky! Thanks, glad you liked my report! Noooo, not even close to the typical showers. Some of the storms lasted from morning till night, and there was lightning every day, so the pool was closed quite a bit.

Is #2425 a OVIR or 1 Bdrm? You can only request the room at check in right? We just passed ROFR on our Vero Beach contract so now I need to start thinking about a ressie and possibly that autotrain. What is your experience concerning OVIR vs. 1 bdrm? Thanks for any info.

Hi BWVDreamin :) #2425 was an OVIR on the NE corner of the 4th floor. It was divine. I wish we could add on at VB. I'd do a 60 pt. add-on if current budget allowed. Interestingly, in the room they had a little flyer that you could purchase VB points for a limited time/certain use years and receive a $5 per point incentive. Believe me, it's killing me not to be able to add on right now, lol. I wish I could tell you about a 1BR, but we haven't been able to splurge on one just yet. Next year may be the year, though! Also, regarding heat/humidity...My DH can't stand WDW in July, but is fine at the VB in July. I did notice that it feels cooler at the beach than at the pool at VB. Could be psychological, or maybe there really is a seabreeze which keeps the immediate beach cooler.

Those of you who were there in July, how was the love bugs? We were there in mid May for the first time and there seems to be a lots of love bugs everywhere.

eepunk, no lovebugs at all, just the d*** no seeums (which love to dine on me, but on DH not so much :headache: )

Thanks for all the comments everyone! It really helps me re-live our trip in spirit ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter