Back from the 8/9 Magic: Some Thoughts...

KatrinaB

Earning My Ears
Well, we're back from the 8/9 Eastern Magic, and I am finally unpacked, have the laundry done, am caught up at work and have time to post a few observations about our cruise.

First of all it was better than I ever dreamed. All of the advice and tips I got here on the boards, along with the amazing organization skills of my friend Anita, made it a wonderful trip.

Check in and baggage went like clockwork.

Our room was ready by about 1:30. Our stateroom steward was absolutely wonderful. His name was I-Made and he was from Bali. He was quiet, but very attentive.

There were only my son and I in our stateroom, but I thought our Cat 11, room 6587, was quite spacious. We never needed the extension cord I brought, nor the over-the-door hanger. Our suitcases, which are rather deep, did not fit under the bed, so we had to put them in the closet.

As for shipboard activities, we enjoyed Bingo, Fidelio and Anton, family karaoke, the shows, the movies, and "Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer". Imagine my surprise and excitement when my seat was called to be a contestant! I'm not as quick with my Disney Trivia as I should be, but thanks to my "lifelines", I won $175 in shipboard credit and a contestant pin. Anita really should have been called... she knows all kinds of Disney trivia! She might have won the cruise!

Our shore excursions were absolutely fantastic. We did our own excursion to Pinel Island in the morning while on St. Maarten, then spent the afternoon shopping. Pinel Island was quiet and beautiful, and yes, there were topless sunbathers there. No big deal. We took the DCL Champagne Catamaran Sail and Snorkel excursion to Honeymoon Bay, St John while in St Thomas. That excursion was my very favorite part of the cruise. The catamaran ride was relaxing, the crew was friendly, and the food and drinks were great. The snorkeling was absolutely amazing. When the captain blew the conch shell to tell us it was time to leave, I really didn't want to go. Sigh...

The food was great in all the restaurants. I had veal the first night in Animators Palate that was absolutely excellent. And the food and service at Palo was impeccable. Maurizio the manager and Janina our server were truly wonderful hosts. They made us truly feel welcome.

At the spa, I bought a Rainforest Room package, 3 days for $30, and even though I loved it, I only went twice. There was just too much to do on that ship! I want one of those tile recliners for my house!

Anyway, I've gone on long enough. I had a great time and I wish I was still there!

--Katrina

Welcome Back! Glad you had a MAGICal time! We're set to go in September.

How lucky of you to get on Mouseketeer! I really want to get in the hot seat for that one!I've been in the one at MGM, but not on the crusie yet...

Once again, welcome back!

Thanks for posting! Sounds great!

I am considering a trip to Pinel Island on our cruise. How did you get there? How long did you spend? What type of facilities did they have on the island?

Thanks for the help.

Aren't those tile recliners the best?! Absolutely LOVED those! In fact (embarrased to admit it but..) I fell asleep in one of the chairs one afternoon! Wouldn't mind having one at home either! :)

The Rainforest spa was the best new discovery I made this summer on the cruise. I just went for the day and it was wonderful. The scents in that room were amazing. I visited on the second sea day so I did have time to visit.

sbatty,

My friend Anita wrote about Pinel Island on another thread. She writes:

"We just returned from the Eastern. In St. Maartin we did Pinal Island on our own. It was wonderful. As soon as we were permitted off of the ship we took a taxi from the Dutch side to the French side to the Pinal Island ferry dock. Our taxi driver Jerry was wonderful. We took the ferry over to the island (5-10 minutes) and rented beach chairs and umbrellas for the group (it was not expensive). We were one of the first to arrive at the beach and it was very beautiful and serene. By noon when we left (we told Jerry to meet us at 12:15) the beach was very busy. We went back to the ship for lunch and showers, then headed back to the Dutch side for shopping."

The taxis were plentiful and waiting at the dock. Taxi fare was $6 per person each way, and the ferry was $5 round trip. There was a small "boutique" selling sarongs, jewelry, hats, etc, and there was a small outdoor restaurant. There was one restroom, which was rather rustic. The sand was soft and the water was a beautiful blue. The kids (14, 12, and 11) snorkeled and collected shells. It was an inexpensive, wonderful day.

Did you like the area your stateroom was in? We are in 6581 for our May 2004 cruise.

Oh yes, Room 6587 was in a good location. It is relatively close to both the midship and the aft elevators. It is right next door to the laundry room, which made it very convenient. I was worried that it would be noisy because of that, but it wasn't noisy at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter