Back from PBH - FOTL is Priceless

CPanther95

Mummyketeer
Just back from fantastic vacation at the Portofino. First time 100% Universal. Let me know if you have any questions?

Highlights:

$99 AAA Season Passes
2 Nights in Deluxe Pool View ($180 Ent)
3 Nights in Portofino Suite (Loews Upgrade +$35)
Cabana Rental at HRH for 1 Day (Got our choice #2)
Fantastic Breakfast buffet at Trattoria ($15 Adult - $4.50 Child)
Free refills of Coffee at Gelateria/Espresso KEEP YOUR CUP.

FOTL is unbelievable. 15 min. wait once at ET (Tech. problem quickly fixed) 10 min wait once for Spiderman. All other rides less than 5 min and most were loaded as soon as you could get to the loading area (including 7 times on MIB and 8 other times on Spiderman)

Sounds like you had a ball!
Only $4.50 for kids buffet? That's a bargain, it was $10 when we were there! Excellent new about the free coffee refills. How much was the cup? Did you only eat at the buffet for breakfast?

The kids buffet was labeled "Barney's Buffet Breakfast $4.50", but turned out to be no different than the adult buffet. All three of my kids 13, 12, 9 had custom made-to-order omlettes and a plate full of strawberries, bacon, sausage, etc. (French Toast was not appetizing to my taste - no cinnamon !) Everything else was great. All other breakfasts we had were quickies: Bagles, Danishes or cereal at Gelateria, or something quick at the parks.

The coffee refills came in handy for me at night. I didn't abuse the free refills. I normally bought a cup in the morning on the way to the parks. Bought another after dinner, then refilled that cup 2 or 3 times before bed. (I drink alot of coffee at night).

I believe the coffee was about $3 for a large cup. 1/2 pint of milk (Choco, 2%, skim) was $1. Sodas were about $2 per bottle compared to $3 in the gift shop off the lobby.

The ice cream at the Gelateria is fantastic. Waffle and sugar cones and a rotating variety of flavors. Vanilla Choco. and Strawberry always available. Variety of toppings M&M's, chocolate chips, crushed peanuts, sprinkles, etc. also available.

How did the upgrade to a suite work? Did you try for it for the whole time you were there? Are you only able to upgrade from certain types of rooms? Thanks.

I'm assuming you've stayed on-site at WDW - how did PBH compare to the WDW resorts? Were the rooms nice and were the beds comfy? We are going in June adn are also doing Universal exclusivelu for the first time - by the way, we live about an hour south I-85 from you - near the Peach water tank.

You need to be a Loews First member (free at www.loewshotels.com) for the suite upgrade. I filled out the form online, but didn't have enough time before my trip to wait for the card, so I called Loews and applied over the phone. They gave me a member # on the spot. I happened to get my Loews first card in about a week, so I had it in time for my trip - but all you'll need is your number.

I asked for the $35 suite upgrade for our whole stay (at check-in)but there were no suites available for the first two nights. The last three nights we had a choice of the Kid's Suite or the Portofino suite - so we took the Portofino Suite.

You can upgrade from any type of room. I had reservations for Deluxe Pool View for $180 Ent. Rate. In hindsight, I could have booked a standard room for $150 and the suite would have cost $185 instead of $215. With 5 people, I didn't want to take a chance on having a standard room the whole time.

The Portofino Suite was actually 2 Standard rooms with adjoining doors. In one of the rooms, they remove the beds and put in a sofa bed. They also upgrade the TV to a 35". The room with 2 Queen Beds (I think a King is also an option) had a standard tub/shower and the other room had an oversized shower only - NICE.

We valet parked for $12 a day added to room charge. Self-park was $6 a day. We will probably self park next time considering we never accessed our car while we were there. Prepare to tip the guy who helps you out of your car , unloads your bags onto cart and takes it to the bellhop station just inside the door. Then you'll tip the bellhop that brings the cart to your room and unloads the bags. That wasn't so bad, but on the way out it seemed a little too segmented. We tipped the bellhop who loaded our bags in the room and transferred them to the lobby. (This was by far the biggest job - pushing the cart all the way from the West Wing to the lobby). The valet then brought up the car and I told him that "This cart was ours". Instead of loading our bags, he got another guy who then loaded the bags into the car while the valet stood there. When he was done I tipped him, then the valet that brought up the car "walked" me to my driver door, so I tipped him too. Oh well, I was under budget and had a great time - so what the hey.

FYI- I tipped $10 when we unloaded, $10 to the bellhop. $15 to the bellhop when we left, $10 to the guy who loaded the bags into the car, and $5 to the valet. (I had 2 fives in my hand when they brought up my car and when he was done loading and I tipped him, it then dawned on me the valet would expect a tip as well. In my wallet I had my last five and some fifties and hundreds - not that hard a decision)

We haven't stayed onsite at WDW in about 5 years since we had an unremarkable visit to the Grand Floridian. Don't get me wrong, it was nice, but the $300+ we spent per night didn't seem worth it. We preferred the PBH by far. The staff was excellent, and every employee actually acted like they enjoyed working there. (There is a tall blond guy from Jacksonville going to school at UCF working at the Gelateria with a great attitude and deserves any extra tips he can get ) We loved the atmosphere and the Italian music piped into the bathrooms that I thought I'd be sick of by the end of our stay kinda grew on me.
"When the moon hits the sky like a big pizza pie...That's Amore !"

For the same money, I would stay at the PBH over any WDW Resort Hotel. For the rates you can get at the PBH, it's a no brainer. I can't imagine going to a park without FOTL - it really spoils you. But if our next vacation includes a Disney park, we'll stay at the PBH and commute.

Frogot to mention the beds ! The beds are fantastic. High off the ground. Just the right firmness, high thread count cotton sheets, plenty of pillows.

Normally I never lounge on top of a hotel bed spread. These were clean and soft without the skanky feeling you get with the polyester "heavily scotchgarded" feel of a normal hotel bedspread.

Antonia - Used to live in Kings Mountain and have been down to the Big Peach many times shopping at the outlets.

Have fun on your trip !

when we stayed at the PFB we found the whole, parking/valet/bellhop business was unorganized and a pain in the butt. We were tired when we got there and that didn't help the situation. I can't convince my parents to go back with us because it was such a mess! Has anyone ever NOT used Bell services, I think it would be easier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter