"Back from OKW and Castaway Cay" (DCL).......

We were on at the same time - but never had time to look you up, Nick (we had our kids with us most of the time - with what seemed like all to brief moments of couple time....my kids are wonderful - but they don't make interesting conversationalists). My trip report (in four parts) is over on the cruise trip report board if anyone is interested.

Dee, we had stateroom 6618 - Starboard side Cat 6 right by the aft elevators. It was very nice (though tight compared to a BW two bedroom - poor Richyams would think he was in a Manhattan closet) - the elevator/stair traffic was not very noisy at all (sometimes a particularly loud family would go by - but the family would walk down the hallway making noise in those tight halls as well.) We were just a short walk up and down the stairs from the restaurants or the Mickey pool - if I didn't have kids I think I'd go for the forward elevators - closer to the adult entertainment district and the quiet cove pool.

Oh, I forgot to mention - I think we talked our dining partners into DVC the very first night.

Nick, so glad you and Cindy had a good trip. I am glad to see you enjoyed the cruise and hope to take one with my family some day. Thanks for the post!! :D

Thanks for the report on the cruise. It sounds great. I don't know if I will ever be able to cruise because of tendency to motion sickness. How about it, do you think people with this problem would be able to cruise? I know it's hard to gage, but your general impressions? :)

MJTinNH, I worry to about getting sick. I think you can get those patches again form your doc before you leave, though?

Originally posted by MJTinNH
I don't know if I will ever be able to cruise because of tendency to motion sickness. How about it, do you think people with this problem would be able to cruise? I know it's hard to gage, but your general impressions? :)

This was our 1st cruise ever and we were worried about that also, thats why we did a 4 day cruise 1st.We were told by a frequent cruiser(Tiffany 123) to take Ginger tablets(non-prescription) twice a day.

We did and the motion never affected us. In fact I would say 95% of the time you don't feel anything. We watched the movie "Miracle" in the theater for 2 hours 10 minutes and you don't even realize you are on a boat. I am sure everyone reacts differently but for us,we were pleasantly surprised.

Can you comment for us on the smoking/non-smoking issue? My family dislikes smoke and I worry that we would miss a lot for trying to avoid smoke at pools, in clubs, etc. Did you find this to be a problem? How about on your verandah?

Thanks!

Glad you are having a great time!!!!! :hyper: :hyper:

It seems like it has been an eternity since you helped us with a few points to book our first cruise. Now, we are only 4 months away!!

We are anxious to read your trip report.

Karen

We were on the same ship same time (and sat near them at dinner without realizing it - Nick thinks my kids are cute). We had calm seas for most of our trip, and didn't notice the boat moving. The last day the seas were choppier and it was possible to notice motion. There were one or two waves that made my tummy do the drop thing....we didn't do anything for seasickness (dramamine, bonine, ginger, patches, seabands), but there is a wealth of things you can try, including sailing during low storm seasons.

As to smoking, we never saw anyone smoke, but we didn't go back to the clubs after 9:00 pm. There is supposed to be no smoking in any stateroom and we spent time on our veranda without noticing any smoke. I did notice one ashtray with butts in it, so someone on that ship was smoking, but I never saw it. I do understand that the clubs can get smoky late at night - but the pools were fine, the restaurants non-smoking.

Originally posted by colleen costello
Can you comment for us on the smoking/non-smoking issue? My family dislikes smoke and I worry that we would miss a lot for trying to avoid smoke at pools, in clubs, etc. Did you find this to be a problem? How about on your verandah?

We never noticed or smelled any smoke on are verandah. The only place we ever seen people smoking was outside on the top decks by the 3 pools. And I have to admit we were never bothered by smokers at the adult pool.

The only indoor place where people were allowed to smoke after a certain time was the clubs. We are not drinkers so we didn't go in the clubs that much besides to look around.

Originally posted by Nick@ VB+OKW
This was our 1st cruise ever and we were worried about that also, thats why we did a 4 day cruise 1st.We were told by a frequent cruiser(Tiffany 123) to take Ginger tablets(non-prescription) twice a day.

Thanks for the tip Nick.

I had heard about Ginger Tablets and have purchased them for my flight this spring. If they do the trick, perhaps it will give me courage for the cruising too. I would try a shorter trip 1st time out too. That's a good idea!

Shan , Thanks for the tip about the patches. But I found out that I am allergic to them. Got very bad reaction last time I used them. I have tried the OTC Motion Sickness stuff like Dramine and Dramine Less Drowsy etc. Still make me kind of off. Then tried Sea-Bands and also the new electronic Relief Bands. Both worked, but I don't think I can stand them more then a few hours at a time. So I was going to try the Ginger for the air flight. If it works this would give me courage to try a cruise sometime. Especially if others have found it worked for them!

If this works for the plane, I might try some rides that I have avoided previously this spring!

Mary Jane,
My first cruise was Boston to Bermuda I was sick in bed 2 days over and 2 days back, never so sick in my life, our honeymoon no less. I got brave and decided to go on the magic but knew I had to take something. I took bonine(aka marezine-otc) about 1/2 hour before each leg back out to sea and was just fine, no neasea, wooziness, dizziness, or worse. I swear by it. It did make me more tired but not drowsy, just to the point I had a great nights sleep. ;) Everyone else I cruised with on the magic took nothing and were fine, so you may be fine without anything. After one horrible experience I can't tempt fate again, and it is useless once the symptoms set in. Good luck!

I've always taken Dramamine the first morning prior to embarkation...it is more for the bus or car ride to Port, though. I've also taken Dramamine at night when the seas were particularly rough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter