[B]How far will I be in 10 hours?[/B]

jondvl

Mouseketeer
IS there a web site that could tell me how far I will be in 10 hours? We live between Lancaster and Reading PA and plan to leave around 4-5 pm(after the kids come home from school) We want to drive for 10-12 hours maybe and stop for a rest and then get up and drive the rest of the way to WDW. I know it is about 17-18 hour drive,probably more with the kids and needing stops.

Also, anyone know how I could figure out how much we would spend on gas? I know there are website on these boards about them, but I can not find them.

Any help is appreciated

mapquest.com/directions has a calculator

plug in your to and from and then once it gives you info on how to get there, there is a button near the top

with kids I assume I do about 50 mpg average and then judge where I will be after driving however many hours

with kids I assume I do about 50 mpg average and then judge where I will be after driving however many hours

What are you driving that hauls kids and luggage and still averages 50 MPG? I need one of those! :car:

OP: I like Google Maps myself. Works about the same as mapquest, but I just find the maps easier to read on Google Maps for some reason.

What are you driving that hauls kids and luggage and still averages 50 MPG? I need one of those! :car:

OP: I like Google Maps myself. Works about the same as mapquest, but I just find the maps easier to read on Google Maps for some reason.
maybe 50mph? ;)

Or the poster could be driving a Jetta TDI Sportwagen which could realistically do 50mpg when loaded.

As previously mentioned... find out the route. For long trips, I try to average 60mph (figure interstate is 70mph, most folks go 75-80).

So after 10 hours, you will have progressed 600 miles. That gives you a starting point. If you average 55 mph, that's 550 miles.

As far as how much to spend on gas... first you need to know your average mpg. Take total miles, divide by mpg, multiply by cost of gas per gallon.

So, if:
MPG: 25
Miles: 2500 (guessing, RT)
Gas: $3/gallon (current average is ~$2.75 where I live, I'd rather budget more).

So: 2500/25*3 = $300 To double check... That would get you 100 gallons of gas @ 25 mpg = 2500 miles.

I assumed you are near Reamstown, PA for travel purposes (halfway between Reading and Lancaster). If you assume 20% stoppage time during the day with kids and 10% at night for the adults, you'd need a hotel near the NC/SC border if 10 hours is your part 1 driving time goal.

I would recommend a different split based on lots of trips to Florida via car since 2003. Use part 1 to get you through the DC area and VA and into the Carolinas. This would be about 6.5 hours on the road if you stop in the Rocky Mount, NC area where there are lots of hotels. This makes day 2 travel longer, but it also gets you in a hotel and asleep by 1 am at the latest. You will get a good night's sleep for part 2 and can hit the road by 8 am and with 10.5 hours on the road and probably 2 hours of break times, you'll be in the WDW area by 10 pm.

If you decide you still want to do more on part 1, then Florence, SC is the 9.5 hour mark and has lots of easy on/easy off hotels and food options.

One last piece of advice, most of the SC speed limits on I-95 are 70 mph and are enforced, so don't add 5-10 mph or you may get a stop you don't want to make.

Safe travels!!

We head down 422/202 to 95 - not sure if you're going to do that or hit 81 so tough to answer for sure, but I can tell you we stopped in Florence SC after about 8-1/2 hours of driving with no significant traffic. In 11 hours we can be at the bottom of SC easy including a lunch stop.

If you're doing 81-77, you can be in SC, probably north of Columbia.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter