Aulani or Four Seasons?

thornton0511

DIS Veteran
We are planning for a Oahu trip late May - early June next year and the plan is to spend 5 nights at HHV, doing most of our off site adventures during that time, and then move over to the Ko Olina area for a final 4 nights before going home. Originally the plan was to rent points and stay in a 1 bedroom any view but we will not be able to "look to book" until 7 months out. So after realizing that this resort is not always a guarantee at 7 months out I decided it would be good to have a back up resort just in case. The four seasons next door became plan B. But now after doing some more research on FS I am torn by which one I would prefer to book even Aulani is available, so looking for opinions and advice here. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids, DS 16 and DD 12. We want the kids to be able to go off and do their own thing while at the resort and not get bored. I'm torn on whether or not they will get bored at FS. Given their ages what would you do if you had the option of staying at either?

with kids those ages Aulani would be my choice.

The FS is lovely but it does not come close with the pools at Aulani. I can just imagine my own kids at that age, they would be sitting on the beach staring wistfully at the waterslide or lazy river and wondering why they were not there.

The pool(s) at HHV are good (and freezing cold, btw) but nothing like Aulani so you might be able to sell them on the FS with the HHV stay.

I would stay at Aulani. I haven't been in the rooms at the four seasons but was not impressed with the food or service we received there and the grounds and pool although nice didn't look as enjoyable.

with kids those ages Aulani would be my choice.

The FS is lovely but it does not come close with the pools at Aulani. I can just imagine my own kids at that age, they would be sitting on the beach staring wistfully at the waterslide or lazy river and wondering why they were not there.

The pool(s) at HHV are good (and freezing cold, btw) but nothing like Aulani so you might be able to sell them on the FS with the HHV stay.

That's kind of my line of thinking with the kids. We would probably be thinking the same as them in regards to the waterslides and lazy river lol. Thank you for the tip on the water temp for the pools at HHV....I hate cold pool water boo! The one thing that FS does have in it's favor is that I do believe it would be much quieter and relaxing as compared to summer crowds at Aulani. After 5 days at HHV it would be nice to have some peace and relaxation and not trade one chaotic resort for another. Thank you for your input!

I would stay at Aulani. I haven't been in the rooms at the four seasons but was not impressed with the food or service we received there and the grounds and pool although nice didn't look as enjoyable.

Yeah I have heard that with this particular FS resort it is not as great as some of the other FS resorts. The rooms are very large and most all have fantastic views. I think if it was between FS and an Aulani studio it would be an easier choice for us, but a 1 bedroom at Aluani is just as nice if not nicer.

If you have kids, Aulani all day. It has something for everyone whereas it would be terrible as a kid to have to see the Aulani amenities and not be allowed to use them. The Four Seasons is fine . It's got a kind of LA vibe to it that is fun for a night but it's really a refurbished old looking resort.

It's got a kind of LA vibe to it that is fun for a night but it's really a refurbished old looking resort.

This is so true. I mean it was nice as the JW Marriott but I dont think it is up to FS standards. Then again, I have not stayed in the rooms, only walked through the resort.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I really appreciate the insight. Sounds like Aulani is definitely the way to go! Now fingers crossed that there will be room availability for the 4 days we need when we are able to try and book!!

Thank you everyone for your comments. I really appreciate the insight. Sounds like Aulani is definitely the way to go! Now fingers crossed that there will be room availability for the 4 days we need when we are able to try and book!!
Right at 7 mos you'll prob be Ok for a p/v or o/v 1 bedroom. That's the last to go pretty much. As of now it's all open except standard is spotty. You should be good.

Another voice for Aulani. We've been there 4 times and are going back again next year. During our May trip this year we went over to the 4S for dinner one night. Its obviously a very nice resort. We did walk around a bit before eating and it all looks elegant. However, to us it really didn't look inviting the what Aulani does. Aulani is awesome in its theming and its activity programs.

We just got back from Aulani 2 days ago. We also have a 16 year old and 6 year old. We visited the Four Seasons and it was in our opinion no comparison to Aulani. The kids would have been highly disappointed if they stayed at the Four Seasons when the pools, activities, and amenities for kids and teens were right there. The kids that were in their pool looked bored. We actually also canceled our Noe dinner reservation and went back to Ama Ama for a second night too that we liked it so much! I highly recommend Aulani and would have rather stayed there even if I did not have children.

We are planning for a Oahu trip late May - early June next year and the plan is to spend 5 nights at HHV, doing most of our off site adventures during that time, and then move over to the Ko Olina area for a final 4 nights before going home. Originally the plan was to rent points and stay in a 1 bedroom any view but we will not be able to "look to book" until 7 months out. So after realizing that this resort is not always a guarantee at 7 months out I decided it would be good to have a back up resort just in case. The four seasons next door became plan B. But now after doing some more research on FS I am torn by which one I would prefer to book even Aulani is available, so looking for opinions and advice here. We are a family of 4 with 2 kids, DS 16 and DD 12. We want the kids to be able to go off and do their own thing while at the resort and not get bored. I'm torn on whether or not they will get bored at FS. Given their ages what would you do if you had the option of staying at either?

Hi I was/am in same boat as you. I had a very specific questions but couldn't see how to PM you. CAn you PM me if you don't mind? thanks!

We just got back from Aulani 2 days ago. We also have a 16 year old and 6 year old. We visited the Four Seasons and it was in our opinion no comparison to Aulani. The kids would have been highly disappointed if they stayed at the Four Seasons when the pools, activities, and amenities for kids and teens were right there. The kids that were in their pool looked bored. We actually also canceled our Noe dinner reservation and went back to Ama Ama for a second night too that we liked it so much! I highly recommend Aulani and would have rather stayed there even if I did not have children.

just back from Aulani two days ago as well. Totally agree with your assessment. I wandered over to 4 Seasons - it is beautiful but IMO it seemed much more adult oriented. Aulani better suited for family.

@thornton0511 I was thinking about your idea of relaxation after your touring time and maybe you should look at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club. The pools are not are quite as great as the Aulani ones but still have a small waterfall, caves, meandering free formed configuration and are a lot of fun. If I remember correctly there are three large pools, one has the slides etc, one has a sandy bottom and one is a quiet pool. The other thing is htat they are open late whereas the Aulani pools close pretty early. Most of the suites have been redone and are actually really lovely. The resort itself is spread out more that either of the FS or Aulani so you dont feel crammed in. The BBQs, the grounds, the whole resort is meticulous and there are so many activities that are included it is awesome. We have stayed here twice and my hubby honestly prefers the Marriott to Aulani. I think because it is more spread out it feels sort of like some of the resorts on Maui in the Ka'anapali Beach area. It also fronts one of the Ko Olina lagoons so the beach is similar to the one at Aulani. Here are some links, I know I have read about people renting on Redweek (seems very reasonable) but we actually went through the website

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hnlko-marriotts-ko-olina-beach-club/

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Re..._Ko_Olina_Beach_Club-Kapolei_Oahu_Hawaii.html

@thornton0511 I was thinking about your idea of relaxation after your touring time and maybe you should look at the Marriott Ko Olina Beach Club. The pools are not are quite as great as the Aulani ones but still have a small waterfall, caves, meandering free formed configuration and are a lot of fun. If I remember correctly there are three large pools, one has the slides etc, one has a sandy bottom and one is a quiet pool. The other thing is htat they are open late whereas the Aulani pools close pretty early. Most of the suites have been redone and are actually really lovely. The resort itself is spread out more that either of the FS or Aulani so you dont feel crammed in. The BBQs, the grounds, the whole resort is meticulous and there are so many activities that are included it is awesome. We have stayed here twice and my hubby honestly prefers the Marriott to Aulani. I think because it is more spread out it feels sort of like some of the resorts on Maui in the Ka'anapali Beach area. It also fronts one of the Ko Olina lagoons so the beach is similar to the one at Aulani. Here are some links, I know I have read about people renting on Redweek (seems very reasonable) but we actually went through the website

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/hnlko-marriotts-ko-olina-beach-club/

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Re..._Ko_Olina_Beach_Club-Kapolei_Oahu_Hawaii.html
Thank you for you response @alohamom and I did actually look at the Marriott as well and it does look like a lovely resort too! I will definitely keep that one on my list. I think for now we are going to go for Aulani for our final few days on Oahu and if there is no avail we will most likely look into FS or Marriott. :)

Nothing to do with Four Seasons but I was interested in the split you were thinking of doing in HHV. I had planning on doing a split somewhere within Waikikki for 4 nights than moving to Aulani for 5 nights. I too had planned on front loading the trip with activities and then relaxing at Aulani but honestly we don't relax well and I am concerned how this will go. Another Dis'er told me he wished he stayed put in Aulani the whole time and did day excursions from Aulani and spread out the activities throughout the trip rather than trying to cram it all in. So my question to you - are you splitting your stay b/c of cost or traffic concerns or worried kids will be bored in Aulani etc. Thanks for the insight!

Nothing to do with Four Seasons but I was interested in the split you were thinking of doing in HHV. I had planning on doing a split somewhere within Waikikki for 4 nights than moving to Aulani for 5 nights. I too had planned on front loading the trip with activities and then relaxing at Aulani but honestly we don't relax well and I am concerned how this will go. Another Dis'er told me he wished he stayed put in Aulani the whole time and did day excursions from Aulani and spread out the activities throughout the trip rather than trying to cram it all in. So my question to you - are you splitting your stay b/c of cost or traffic concerns or worried kids will be bored in Aulani etc. Thanks for the insight!
No worries at all! The reason for the split, for us, is we have enough HHonors pts with Hilton saved up to do a 5 night reward stay (4 nights with points gets 5th night free) so this way we can afford 4 nights in a 1 bedroom at Aulani. We are a very active vacationing family as well as typically spend out trips to WDW running as soon as our feet hit the ground lol. Most likely we will still so some things off site during out Aulani stay (if it works out for us) but for the most part we will do things like "day trip to North Shore" during out HHV stay, if that makes sense.

No worries at all! The reason for the split, for us, is we have enough HHonors pts with Hilton saved up to do a 5 night reward stay (4 nights with points gets 5th night free) so this way we can afford 4 nights in a 1 bedroom at Aulani. We are a very active vacationing family as well as typically spend out trips to WDW running as soon as our feet hit the ground lol. Most likely we will still so some things off site during out Aulani stay (if it works out for us) but for the most part we will do things like "day trip to North Shore" during out HHV stay, if that makes sense.

Yep that makes sense. If you pretend you didn't have the free points and were staying in a studio - would you think that is the way to go for 8 nights or would you still want to split the trip if you are paying in Waikikki?

Yep that makes sense. If you pretend you didn't have the free points and were staying in a studio - would you think that is the way to go for 8 nights or would you still want to split the trip if you are paying in Waikikki?
Personally I don't know. I would probably want to spend the majority of the trip at Aulani but maybe the first few night still in Waikiki just because I feel it's two different experiences (based on what I have heard). Plus I think it depends on what your plans are. I am hoping to do and see things closer to the Waikiki area the first part of the trip and more Northern exploring later in the trip. I think bottom line it's just a personal preference and what is right for your family and trip. Also when we go to WDW we typically like to resort hop so we are not prone to staying in the same location for too long lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter