August NO-BUY 2017

marcyleecorgan

DIS Veteran
For those of you who want to keep it a half-marathon and measure 15 days at a time, that's cool too.

I didn't see one of these threads yet so here we go! :)

As posted in previous threads, personal rules are applicable to your own personal circumstance. You can share the whys and wherefores if you want, but you certainly are not required to do so.

"Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere we go!" /end Peter Pan voice-over :)

My Personal Progress:
August 1 - No Buy #1
August 2 - No Buy #2
August 3 - No Buy #3
August 4 - No Buy #4 except cat food
August 5 - the husband bought snacks...
August 6 - the husband bought snacks...
August 7 - No Buy #5
August 8 - No Buy #6
August 9 - Had to grocery shop (at least I earned AirMiles towards Disney tickets! :) )
August 10 - No Buy #7
August 11 - No Buy #8
August 12 - No Buy #9
August 13 - *siiiiiiigh* another snack trip...
August 14 - No Buy #10
August 15 - No Buy #11
August 16 - No Buy #12
August 17 - oil change due on vehicle!
August 18 - DH's 5 y/o phone smashed on the ground for the final time. :( also lunch for DH and DD, I just shared the smoothie! go me! $IDK :crazy2:
August 19 - No Buy #13
August 20 - No Buy #14
August 21 - Went out for burritos with DH $28?
August 22 - grocery shopping and DH bought fries/drinks from McD's :(
August 23 - renewed my DL like a responsible adult yay! Bye ~$90... and then we stopped at the thrift store dangit! Bye $30...
August 24 - Another massive load-down at the grocery store plus reward for DD
August 25 - No Buy #15
August 26 - No Buy #16
August 27 - I splurged in a moment of weakness and bought myself a bday gift
August 28 - temptation was strong but No Buy #17
August 29 - we ordered a Chinese take-away feast but the GC handled most of it... $40?
August 30 - No Buy #18
August 31 - ahhhh bad me, I wanted the snacks this time! $30

Last edited:
Yay! Thanks for starting this. I'm shooting for 20 days no buy this August. The only exceptions will be Auto-pay bills, gas, and groceries. :)

I'm shooting for 20. The only exceptions are gas, food for meals we have together, bills, and the stuff I need to still buy for DH's deployment because he still hasn't made a list :sad2:. No more clothes, house stuff, or random online purchases for myself. I'm not counting date night meals, but no fast food, lunches out, or morning lattes for me though. :sad:
I'm starting by putting 50% of my paycheck into off limits savings and hope to work up to 100% by November. Need to get ready to move to one income while I go back to school.

August 1: $125 on work clothes at Jcrew (two cardigans, a shell, and a dress). My goal is for this to be the only "shopping" I do for myself this month. I got a clearance email and impulse bought.
August 2: No buy #1
August 3: No buy #2
August 4: Moved to a new office and desperately needed a desk fan and a new stapler. $27 on Amazon. Also $196 at the vet (we will be reimbursed 90%, love Petplan!), $50 to our friend who coordinated the escape room we are doing tomorrow, and $367 for my annual eye exam, a year of contacts and a new pair of glasses. Ouch. Today hurt the budget.
August 5: No buy #3
August 6: Running out of dog treats, stocked up on Amazon. $32.
August 7: No buy #4
August 8: $30.13 at the Disney Store. Christmas present.
August 9: No buy #5
August 10: No buy #6
August 11: Bought dinner for myself while my husband was at work because I'm sick. $6
August 12: No buy #7
August 13: No buy #8
August 14: Two Christmas gifts & birthday present for SIL $120. Pretty much all necessary deployment stuff $350 :scared1:
August 15: No buy #9
August 16: No buy #10
August 17: No buy #11
August 18: $40 on urgent care copay and medicine. $376 on the repair costs for the flat tire I got on the way home from urgent care. I'm so over this month.
August 19: $6.60 for lunch. I have strep and was too lazy to cook.
August 20: No buy #12
August 21: Technically no buy #13, but we put in an offer on a house we haven't seen. Sweet Jesus help me this military life is going to stress me to death.
Aug 22: Chipotle.
Aug 23: Chipotle again. I need to get it together.

Aug 28 update, going to do better in September.

Last edited:

I'm starting small...16 days with food, gas, vet bills (2 appts this month) and school supplies exempted.

I need to do this to start cutting down on what I spend. I think my biggest step is just staying home when I get off work... then only buying what gets on the grocery list. Making exceptions for an oil change, that grocery list, and whatever supply list my daughter leaves orientation with.

Lularoe came out with a Disney line and it completely killed my July budget.

I must be in this month. I have to buy a new car soon so all extra spending money will go towards a new car payment.
I'm going to shoot for 15 days, DH is going to Orlando for a conference so of course I'm going to go with him. And I need to shop for back to school supplies but those are must haves. I need to focus on budgeted items only.
The first positive part was the kids helped me make a menu for the next 2 weeks so we did big grocery shopping yesterday. Tomorrow it will be Target for household supplies and I have to go dress shopping for a wedding on Friday, but other than that there shouldn't be to many expenses the next 2 weeks.

I'm in this month! My goal is 20 days of no buy (or more!). Exceptions include: groceries, bills, a birthday gift for my sister, and a dinner out with my husband (4 year wedding anniversary coming up).

August 1: No buy.

I'm in. Let's start with a small goal, 15 days, the days that everyone is at work/school. Exceptions are groceries, regular bills and the car as it is already booked for a service tomorrow.

1st - $3 for a workmate to get me a coffee
2nd - $8 on morning tea for me and DD and $15 for a bra. She's been off school for a week and I had the day off with her today. We're both a little stir crazy and had to get out for a bit.
3rd - no spend #1
4th - no spend #2
5th - no spend #3. Did buy FIL birthday lunch but this weekend's gas and food already in the budget.
6th - $15k on a new car, whoops! We were only looking, to buy in a month or so but the deal was too good to pass up. $200 deposit.
7th - DH took out $20 cash to buy lunch
8th - $5 on coffee and $4.60 on chocolate frogs for school
9th - no spend #4
10th - $10 extra groceries
11th - another $10 of extra groceries (this is what happens when DH cooks, he can't just 'make do' with the we have. Needs to follow a recipe exactly...)
12th - $19.50 on play center entry, $10 sushi and $39 on new school shoes.
13th - $1 on bananas because we went to the grocery store that doesn't do free fruit for kids and my kids have a terrible sense of entitlement :D
14th - no spend #5
15th - $10 on lunch
16th - no spend #6
17th - no spend #7
18th - $25 on a birthday present and card
19th - $8 on coffees
20th - $4.50 on coffee and $24 on 3 tops at Target
21st - no spend #8
22nd - no spend #9
23rd - no spend #10
24th -
25th -
26th -
27th -
28th -
29th -
30th -
31st -

Last edited:
I'm shooting for 20 days no buy this August. The only exceptions will be Auto-pay bills, gas, and groceries.

August 1: No buy #1
August 2:
August 3:
August 4:
August 5:
August 6:
August 7:
August 8:
August 9:
August 10:

20 days for me and day 1 was not great but boy does this make you re-evaluate your spending habits!!

Day #1 12.59 dinner and snacks.
Day #2:No Buy!
Day #3:7.24 snack and dinner (I need to buy myself easy to cook dinners when my finance is away I hate cooking LOL)
Day #4: 2.49 energy drink (gotta get up earlier and make my coffee)
Day #5:

Last edited:
I'm shooting for 20 days no buy this August. The only exceptions will be Auto-pay bills, gas, and groceries.

August 2: No buy #2
August 3: Today is a bust. :( Overslept and didn't make food at home, so I bought coffee on the way to work and need to get lunch later.
August 4:
August 5:
August 6:
August 7:
August 8:
August 9:
August 10:

August 2: No buy #2

I have to buy a new phone this month since my old one is basically dead. Womp womp. I don't think I'll count it though. The no buy thing is really for frivolous spending.

Joining in! Need to be more accountable on my extra $$
Follow my budget great, $$ in savings each month and extra in CC Payment. Just paid off one so focusing on final one now. We like to eat out and spur of the moment stuff so will be curbing that impulse as much as possible lol.

Shooting for 25 days no buy except bills, groceries, gas and back to school supplies( doesn't need much) Did clothing buys already and grandma helps with some too! Will have a couple eat out days when we have things planned.

Heading to DL end of September so need to be saving a bit more for our hotel. Using airline points for flight!
Sharing hotel room with friends with group discount through DD dance studio they are performing!
Splurging on Halloween party tickets
WOC dessert party
Blue Bayou Fantasmic dining package
Everything is covered at this point (other than hotel) and have food/souvenir $$ saved.

8/1 $6 Starbucks - DD Had knee surgery and I couldn't eat or drink in front of her to be nice lol
8/2 $0
8/3 $0
8/4 $0
8/5 $16.58 lunch out
8/6 $0
8/7 $0
8/8 $0
8/9 $0
8/10 $16.29 lunch out
8/11 $19.65 lunch out
8/12 $32.63 dinner out with friends
8/13 $0
8/14 $16.10 extra DD senior photo prints
8/15 $0
8/16 $0
8/17 $0
8/18 $0
8/19 $0
8/20 $87.73-sneakers for DD / 2 outfits and one pair dress shoes for our sponsored kids in Haiti Christmas gifts got great sale/clearance prices!!!
8/21 $0
8/22 $0
8/23 $0
8/24 $0
8/25 $0
8/26 $43.98 dinner out
8/27 $0
8/28 $0
8/28 $0
8/30 $0
8/31 $0

Last edited:
Joining in. This thread has really made me look at what I spend and where I spend it. This is my first time attempting this and it is harder than I thought. I just paid the credit card bills off today so I have a clean slate. I am shooting for 15 days this month. I have been good about not eating out and husband is out of town till August 28 so that should be easier this month. I have 3 kids though and that is making it more difficult to not spend on a daily basis because for me it is the little things that add up. Kids asking for extra stuff at the grocery store. The kids go back to school in 3 weeks and back to school shopping is adding up. They all need new shoes plus two need new gym shoes. My ten year old has out grown his school clothes (strict dress code of khaki's and polo's) so all new clothes. His school supply list is long and is adding up quick. He also is starting his orthodontic treatment today and they want money. I need to start saving for my two week trip to Disney and Universal in December. Hotel, airline tickets and all Disney tickets are paid for. So it is food, universal tickets and spending money I need to save for. I guess I will start today. I know I will be getting kids McDonald's after their soccer games for supper tonight and I have to provide the snack for my daughters game. Last game of the season so I wanted to get cupcakes.
This will help me be more accountable.

August 1: no buy #1
August 2: groceries and Target (list only), Dressbarn and Sears (planned purchases for wedding tomorrow), iTunes movie, - $191.08
August 3: *No buy #2 - actually went to Starbucks but used 2 rewards and had money already on my account

Gahhhh Day #3 dawned with a cat food bag of great emptiness. :( And there is nothing more fun than getting YELLED at by a large Maine Coon cat all morning while he punches and rattles the screen door in order to irritate us.

In other news, why must cat food be like $70...

Cats train us, yes they do! :) Still... it was a required purchase so I managed Day #3 without frivolous spending.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter