AUGUST 2017 Car rental watch

Just a warning...

After booking and rebooking many times over the last year, I settled on a reservation through Costco for $364 mid-size SUV at Tampa at the end of June. Prices didn't go down with Costco after that. My vacay starts on Monday. Today they sent an "upcoming" email confirmation. Since I am a details person - I recognized right away that they increased the fees $15. I still have the original email confirmation. Contacted via online conversation, and they basically said "it happens" and they won't honour original booking. Not impressed - wonder how many people that happens too.

SO ... I started looking around and found $362 at dollar for the same car size - no codes - just city special. Cancelled Costco. Worth checking one more time. ;)

My only issue with Dollar and a few other companies is that they charge for the additional driver. I need for both of us to be able to drive the vehicle. Having a Costco membership allows the free additional driver with Alamo. Dollar, Thrifty and some of the off brands charge a daily fee. In fact Alamo charges too if you don't have a certain type of discount that Costco and BJs provide. I know Budget and Avis includes a free driver too if its a spouse or a few other criteria. So for me, I would have paid the $15 extra in fees and keep the additional driver. If I had to pay the $10/day during my 15 day vacation that would cost me $150 PLUS TAXES and FEES. :eek: So it wouldn't be worth it.

Anyway, your point is to keep checking and you are absolutely right about that !!! :thumbsup2

Well guys, the day has come and the prices are still outrageous!!! :scared1: So it looks like I am going to pay $463 for my 15 day rental....end of story. All I can hope for now is a GREAT UPGRADE. A intermediate SUV or better would be GREAT !!!

A little side note....while going over my paperwork, I realized I made a mistake on my pickup time for my reservation. It had a 5pm pickup time, but my plane lands at MCO at 11pm!!! :eek: When I tried to modify it, the rates were CRAZY!!!! :faint: So I called Alamo and told them my situation. Shout out to SEAN at Alamo who modified the pickup time from 5pm to 11pm, kept the same reservation number and price. Too bad he couldn't discount it for me :laughing:
I still can't believe I will be paying $463!!! But I am going to enjoy my vacation and hope for better rates next year!!! :rotfl:

Hey TamaraQT-hope you have a wonderful trip in spite of the ridiculous car rental rates. We leave on Thurs, and although we did find decent rates with Budget and Hertz, we have heard horror stories about them that we haven't experienced with Alamo. In the end, I think we'll go with the cheapest rate.

Did anyone rent a mid-size SUV from Alamo already this month? I'm wondering what they have in that row. We usually go full size and hope for a mini van but the mid-size SUV is cheapest this time around.

Did anyone rent a mid-size SUV from Alamo already this month? I'm wondering what they have in that row. We usually go full size and hope for a mini van but the mid-size SUV is cheapest this time around.

I haven't but I will tell you that in the past, they've allowed me to pick anything in the rows below what I rented as well. For example, we rented a full size once and there was a minivan in the midsize row. We asked if we could pick from the midsize row instead and they said yes, we could pick from anything that is full size and under. So if you see something you like in one of the other rows that is lower than your category, have someone hold the car and ask. I'm pretty sure they won't have a problem with it.

I haven't but I will tell you that in the past, they've allowed me to pick anything in the rows below what I rented as well. For example, we rented a full size once and there was a minivan in the midsize row. We asked if we could pick from the midsize row instead and they said yes, we could pick from anything that is full size and under. So if you see something you like in one of the other rows that is lower than your category, have someone hold the car and ask. I'm pretty sure they won't have a problem with it.

Oh that would work wonderfully if they would let us downgrade so to speak. I'll try that. Thanks.

Well due to weather on friday night my 815pm flight didnt leave until after 1130pm!! But we arrived in Orlando safe and sound after 2am!! No attendants in the garage and there were issues with the kiosk. So i had to go the counter. No discount of my $463 rate but was told that my standard vehicle could be chosen from fullsize cars or an intermediate SUV. Supplies were low!!! Nissan altimas a few hyundai sonatas was all they had. On the intermediate SUV my DH chose a jeep something but it looked small to me. AND someone locked the keys inside. He found an attendant and she said give her a few minutes and she will get someone to unlock it. By now its 3am!!! Then she told him there are some Chevy Impalas in the premium aisle if he didnt want to wait. So we ended up with a BEAUTIFUL IMPALA!!! ROOMY AND GORGEOUS!! Now I feel better about the $463. Thank you Alamo!!!
:cool1: :cheer2: :cool1: :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter