Attending a DVC presentation on site

dcbarry

Earning My Ears
So, I am coming to Saratoga Springs as a guest, which I'm sure means we will be asked about attending a presentation.

At most places I would break out the holy water and garlic. While I am virtually guaranteed NOT to buy, I wouldn't mind learning more, if only for informational purposes. And I really hope I can trust Disney not to resort to the same sleaze level tactics as most TS pitches. I assume that after the pitch, that if not interested I can be free to go after some gentle persuation without the need to call the cops.

What is the usual length of the pitch? DO they offer a good incentive to attend? (Is it negotiable at all?) For example, we are coming using old passes with 2 remaining major + 1 minor park days, but I'd love to add an extra day.

Any advice?

The incentive is usually a couple of FP+ (not good on headliners) and ice cream. Don't expect tickets or ticket upgrades. The presentation is usually 90 minutes to 3 hours.

The guides are highly variable. There are definitely a few that sow fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Pro tips:
  • Don't buy at the presentation, or on-site.
  • Do not say the word "resale" to your presenter.
  • Do due diligence on resale vs. direct separately.
  • Ensure you know your financing options (and how much they reduce the savings value of a purchase) before signing anything.
  • Know that anything they say "you can only get right now!" or "on site!" is a lie.

Things may have changed since I went through one as they were selling BWV at the time but there was nothing "Hard Sell" about it. Agree with aurora tho, don't buy , wait and do your research first! They always have some kind of promotion you can take advantage of at any time you decide. I just did an addon and because I'd done research was able to take advantage of a promotion even my guide didn't know existed.

We went to a presentation last December and got a $100 Disney gift card. It was about 60 minutes (because we already knew a lot about DVC and how it works), and our guide was great. He wasn't pushy and didn't use any negative or fear based tactics on us. We really liked him.

Disney doesn't use a hard sell, they use a very successful psychological sell. From the minute you ask questions at a remote DVC kiosk, you are being assessed as a potential buyer. They know what questions to ask, how to respond to your answers, how to convince you that you should have bought years ago, and they will become your best friend. In fact if you do not buy, you will feel guilty.

:earsboy: Bill

Yeah, not a chance of me actually buying or being persuaded. (I'm on TUG, know too much about resale market, and renting like I am for this visit.)

Fast passes and ice cream? Pass. $100 gift card -- that I would do if I could schedule a visit and it was guaranteed.

And you all just reminded me, I gotta learn the "new fast pass" methods. Everything I know from Disneylans is wrong. (The whole trip together came together in 1 day! So much "homework" for me to do before Saturday. ;-)

We attended a presentation last year- they gave us 3 FP per person, ice cream, and a gift card (I can't remember if it was $50 or $100). Our kids also got to play at the activity center while we talked to a guide.

We were there for 3-4 hrs but we had a lot of questions and toured the models.

We were offered a tour in the mail (here in Canada) with a $50 gift card incentive, so on our trip this past November, we went and did the presentation. Our kids got to play in the play centre, we got our gift card, fast passes and ice cream after. We didn't feel pressured at all. At any time, our Cast Member assured us that if it wasn't for us, we could end the presentation.
My husband is a big numbers guy, and had some great questions. When he realized buying direct for us was not in the cards, the Cast Member ended the presentation, had our ice cream and we headed back to our resort.

Last edited:
To me the fast passes would be worth it for 1 hour pitch. Unfortunately the fast passes you get don't work for all attractions i.e. They don't work for the new avatar flight of passage plus a few others.

Had they worked for the new avatar heck I would coincider going and say I'm a non owner :D

The wait currently without fast passes is between 100-150 minutes but it's also pretty amazing.

@mkla2015 : DO you recall if you were told about the gift card up front as persuation, or was it a surprise?

I'm pretty sure we were told up front. We were staying at Beach Club and on day 2, we had a letter under our door with the offer to attend a presentation and I think it said in the letter that we'd get a gift card.

We stayed at CBR last Nov-Dec as well and there was a letter in our room upon return one day inviting us to do the presentation. As an incentive, the letter indicated we would receive a $100 gift card. The presentation was very interesting and informative. It was one-on-one and I felt very little pressure. They arrange a time to pick you up from your resort and the whole thing took maybe 90 minutes or so.

if I wanted to attend a presentation but I'm staying at a value, can that be arranged? Can you go to a booth and check for a specific day and time frame?

if I wanted to attend a presentation but I'm staying at a value, can that be arranged? Can you go to a booth and check for a specific day and time frame?
They'll present to anyone. They will fetch you from a Value.

If you hear they offered someone something ask for it when you set up the presentation. We did. My H mentioned hearing someone offered a 100 gc and asked if we would be getting the same. The woman setting up the tours put it in with our tour reservation for us to receive one. Even though we knew we want to go the resale route and we were not going to buy that day, the gift card was worth the hour of our time. It never hurts to ask. We did and we received. Good luck!

We were there about 75 minutes but I knew a lot about DVC already. He kept pushing Poly and when we said we enjoyed the 1BR we were in (we rented at a Kidani from a friend), he said we "can book any 1BR at 7 months, I'll show you, they are available!"

I obviously knew how that's not true during busy seasons and you absolutely need 11 month advantage for fall. Anyway, I digress...

We were told we'd get a $100 gift card and 3 Fp each for our entire party. At the end of the presentation, they gave us a $50 card and my husband was mad.

It was our last night, so we used up the FP at Hollywood Studios, watched the Star Wars fireworks, and headed to DS to shop the $50 card for souvenirs.... went to check out and the gift card didn't work. Found the DVC desk at DS and they desperately tried to help but the system was down etc.

Husband livid at this point. ;)

They did mail us a gift card a few days later and it did have the $100 on it. But we bought resale anyway. Hah.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter