Atlanta Casual Dining

Communicore1991

Mouseketeer
Heading down for a small trip in December to Atlanta and looking for some casual dining recommendations. I'll be staying near ATL airport but am renting a car so can venture outside of the city to the suburbs. I'm not what you would consider an adventurous eater, and two of the things I'm looking forward to is going to Truett's Luau and the Hapeville Dwarf House for their non-standard CFA food options. :D

Thanks in advance for any options y'all have!

We love south city kitchen. We dine at the Avalon location. Lots of great dining and shops at Avalon. And it’s safe. Unlike the buckhead, midtown, south atlanta areas.

The area around the braves stadium - the battery - also has great restaurants. It is also safe!

Battery by the Braves stadium is up in Marietta totally opposite side of town to the airport. Our traffic can be horrendous especially going through downtown.. I would ask at your hotel for a good bbq place

What style of food do you like? What’s your budget like? I live in Buckhead and am a total foodie so I’d be happy to help with some favs!

We love south city kitchen. We dine at the Avalon location. Lots of great dining and shops at Avalon. And it’s safe. Unlike the buckhead, midtown, south atlanta areas.

The area around the braves stadium - the battery - also has great restaurants. It is also safe!
I'm currently staying in Midtown but am renting a car so can stay at another hotel. Was looking for a Hilton or Hyatt. Any recommendations for somewhere I should stay? It looks like most of my stops are going to be in downtown Atlanta or the southern part of the city.
What style of food do you like? What’s your budget like? I live in Buckhead and am a total foodie so I’d be happy to help with some favs!
Definitely casual/American. I enjoy going to restaurants or getting food that is unique to that area. For example Louisville is known for their Hot Browns so I go somewhere there that's known for those sandwiches. Budget wise - not looking for a Michelin Star place but doesn't need to be on the cheap. I generally don't eat large portions so that's why I tend to go more casual.

I'm currently staying in Midtown but am renting a car so can stay at another hotel. Was looking for a Hilton or Hyatt. Any recommendations for somewhere I should stay? It looks like most of my stops are going to be in downtown Atlanta or the southern part of the city.

Definitely casual/American. I enjoy going to restaurants or getting food that is unique to that area. For example Louisville is known for their Hot Browns so I go somewhere there that's known for those sandwiches. Budget wise - not looking for a Michelin Star place but doesn't need to be on the cheap. I generally don't eat large portions so that's why I tend to go more casual.
If you can swing it, stay around Avalon - up in Alpharetta. Take 400 straight down to midtown.

If you like Southern food, definitely check out Mary Mac's Tea Room. It's delicious and a classic Southern place.

Ponce City Market has a really exciting food hall, and my favorite stall there is Bibi. It's middle eastern food and the owner also owns a place called DelBar which was included in the Michelin guide and the food is almost the same.

We also are known for lemon pepper wings so be on the look out for those.

We have a whole area of town called Buford Highway which has lots of different styles of food if you are feeling adventurous. Excellent bang for your buck.

Roshambo is an American diner in Buckhead that is owned by a local restaurant group and I'm a big fan of what they've done there.

And finally, my favorite for sandwiches is either Publix for a PubSub (sooooo legit) or a local bakery called Henri's - love their chicken salad but honestly all the sandwiches are so good.

Atlanta is SUCH a food town so have the best time.

And as far as crime, just don't leave ANYTHING in your car and you'll be fine. Just like every other major city in America right now, car break-ins are way more common than they should be.

I used to work at the Avalon and it's so great, but if you are going to be hanging out in Midtown or south of the city, it's too far because it can be up to 90 minutes with traffic. You'll be okay at a hotel in Midtown.

I live in North Fulton and really don't go into Atlanta. But my friend does and likes Canoe and Rays on the River. In Marietta: Brandi's World Famous Hot Dogs and Marietta Diner.

Lila Lyla in Midtown was one of the best meals I’ve ever had, I kind of want to keep it secret. The Deer and The Dove in Decatur- he just won a James Beard Award. Don’t let the eclectic things on the menu scare you, they also have normal options.

Lila Lyla in Midtown was one of the best meals I’ve ever had, I kind of want to keep it secret. The Deer and The Dove in Decatur- he just won a James Beard Award. Don’t let the eclectic things on the menu scare you, they also have normal options.
Great choices! Both were included in the Michelin guide so I think the secret is out.

If you like Italian, anything from the Storico brand is great: Storico Fresco, Yeppa, Forza Storico.

Oh and pizza is excellent at Antico, also included in the Michelin guide.

Well there are several. Not sure where you are staying but near the airport see below. All just minutes from airport.

Bodega on Main, main street college park
Brake Pad main street college park
Maritzas and Franks Main street college park
BarBQue kitchen Virginia avenue college park
Spondivits Virginia Ave. East Point Ga
Irish Bred Pub Virginia Ave Hapeville Ga
The Manchester Arms Virginia Ave College Park
Thumbs Up diner White Way East point
Oz Pizza main street east point
BGR Grille White way East point

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter