Arriving at a park for rope drop

Richard Hallam

Earning My Ears
First time disney goers next Easter! Was just wondering how much time to allow. How long does it take on average to get from the car parks to the main gates at each of the Disney parks? Is there any other information about rope drop that would help me?

keep in mind that they let you through the turnstiles before opening time....and let you walk to where the rope drop occurs..

the park that takes the most time, if you're arriving by car, is the magic kingdom as the car park is very far away....you have to park your car, go through security, and then either take a ferry or the monorail to get to the park...

when we were here a few weeks ago, we tended to arrive at the car park at about 8:00, so that we were inside the magic kingdom by about 8:30 or so..
but the later you arrive, the slower the process...
you'll have to wait for the ferry/monorail..

also keep in mind, easter is deadly crowded...
so the earlier you arrive the better off you'll be...

when we were there a few weeks ago, we tried to reach the parks by 8 am for a 9 am opening - and that's even though we were staying on property....
we actually tried to leave every morning at 7:45....and that was aiming for a 9 am rope drop...

Rope Drop is a different concept depending on which park you're going to and which attraction you want to do first.
For example at the MK you need to be among the first to enter the park only if you want to ride the mine train, every other attraction doesn't require much hassle.
At AK you need to enter among the first 1-200 people to be able to do Flight of Passage with minimal wait (this requires to be there at 7:15), otherwise it's better to go to any other attraction if you arrive nearer opening time or have a FP+ for it.
Have a look at easywdw and search for rope drop strategies posts.

Hi

First I would try not to stress out too much you'll be up early with the time difference, our family even now with teenagers are up at 3:30 am having breakfast at a Cracker Barrel at 6:30 am (yep they open at that time) first day. Lots of information regarding planning and rope drop strategies etc. all over the web. Just make sure you have any ADR's you need planned soon as the booking window for these open 180 days before you go which is quite soon, then you can relax regarding FP+ until near the time.

Everyone on here is friendly and will offer help if you need it :-)

Regards

Paul

Hi

First I would try not to stress out too much you'll be up early with the time difference, our family even now with teenagers are up at 3:30 am having breakfast at a Cracker Barrel at 6:30 am (yep they open at that time) first day. Lots of information regarding planning and rope drop strategies etc. all over the web. Just make sure you have any ADR's you need planned soon as the booking window for these open 180 days before you go which is quite soon, then you can relax regarding FP+ until near the time.

Everyone on here is friendly and will offer help if you need it :-)

Regards

Paul

Thanks for the replies. We're not staying on a Disney resort so will be driving to the parks. Should we allow 30 mins average from car park to entrance?

Also I'm finding the choice of restaurants on the parks and resorts overwhelming as I have no history of them. I only have 7 days until I can start making my 180 day reservations. I do wonder if we would be better eating where we fancy on this first trip (inside or outside the parks and resorts) as its difficult to know where to eat and when.

Thanks for the replies. We're not staying on a Disney resort so will be driving to the parks. Should we allow 30 mins average from car park to entrance?

Also I'm finding the choice of restaurants on the parks and resorts overwhelming as I have no history of them. I only have 7 days until I can start making my 180 day reservations. I do wonder if we would be better eating where we fancy on this first trip (inside or outside the parks and resorts) as its difficult to know where to eat and when.

It is difficult to choose, but if you want to eat at some table service places in the Disney parks you do really need to make some ADRs as they fill up fast. The best thing to do is to read some food reviews on the forum here - http://ww.disboards.com/forums/disney-restaurants.14/
You can at least get an idea on people's thoughts and see what the food looks like. I did a report last October which is in my signature if that's any help.

how many in your group and what ages? based on that, i can give you some suggestions - or describe what might be appropriate..

you can make ADRs now and then cancel them as you get closer if you decide you don't want to eat there..
you have to give a credit card number as a guarantee in case you don't show up..
you have to cancel more than 24 hours in advance to not be penalized..

Hi

As above and as you say there are lots to choose from, we as a family are a bit of a mix, one vegetarian (DW), 2xDD now teenagers and me, Disney is more about the experience than the food, although there is some great food. So with that in mind and with the 180 day thing coming up for you our list would be :-

Character Dining (we like the breakfast) I think we'd go even with out children :-)
Rose and Crown around 7:30 sometime in the week so you can ask for the terrace seating and see the fireworks at 9:00, I'm from Yorkshire and the fish and chips are more than acceptable.
Sci-fi Dinein my DD's love it, burgers and shakes
Be Our Guest is a draw for many and should be tried once
California Grill is expensive but very nice, check the menu first though before going, you can watch the MK fireworks from their terrace.

To be honest we stay off site in October (less than 30 sleeps now) and Be Our Guest, Cal Grill and Character Dining are the hardest to get on the day you want and the time you want although you'll get a spot. Many people book loads of dinning and as soon as they can, as a banker just in case they don't get what they want, these are then canceled and you should keep checking as I've found a better day and time for you will always come up. As said above there is no cost up to 24 hours before if you cancel, so book as many as you like, get your plan together as soon as you can after that, then cancel to be fair to those trying for 'a better day and time'

By the way our favorite spot away from the parks is Celebration Town Tavern in Celebration no booking required just arrive.

Regards

Paul

I have to agree with P800aul above about the following:

Be our guest.....you pre-order your food and it is brought to your table....counts as a quick service on the DDP
Celebration Town Tavern...a favourite of ours for many years
Rose and Crown for fish and chips ...notice that outside the fish and chip shop next door it says est Guiseley....and yep....that is where I used to eat fish and chips 50 years ago.
Personally we don't rate the Scifi dine in and we choose Mama Melrose in DHS

Most places in EPCOT are superb, I am just back from the Food and Wine festival and I have had some terrific food.

Outside of the parks we like Red Lobster and there is a Sikh family run curry house just of International Drive that we frequent that does a great curry.

Much like P800aul above we travel with our vegetarian son...he likes Sanaa at AKL villas

We've had over 25 trips to WDW and still not managed a single rope drop! Even on our first day we still only manage to get up around 9am!

Same here, we've been going for 20 years plus and never made it!
About 3 years ago we made a real effort - and still missed it!
We always do close the park with EMH though - miss the 2 and 3 am'ers.
Guess we are just night owls.

Same here, we've been going for 20 years plus and never made it!
About 3 years ago we made a real effort - and still missed it!
We always do close the park with EMH though - miss the 2 and 3 am'ers.
Guess we are just night owls.

Same here - I used to love the park at 3am!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!