Are any dvc resorts closing?

I don't see how they could! After all, we members own the DVC resorts - or at least the largest share of them. If members cancel their trips and don't reschedule within the rules, they will lose their points. If too many members elect to utilize their points elsewhere, I suspect DVC will just limit or suspend those programs. They are not guaranteed. Anyway under current conditions, I don't see how (or why) a DVC resort would be closed.

IMHO, the DVC operation is probably doing lots better (profit wise) right now than most of the other WDW departments. JMHO.

Other than for reasons of repair and refurbishment, they cannot close DVC rooms to DVC members--in other words if there is availability when a a member calls to reserve they must provide the reservation and cannot fail to do so based on some decision to just close part of the resort.

Does anyone know this for a fact. I can't see them closing an entire hotel to people, especially those who plan ahead and want to stay there???

Where did you hear they closed PO?

And, NO they can' t close DVC resorts. They are owned by the members!

WDWMagic.com is posting the "rumor" about PO; there has been no verification.

As to knowing as "fact" that they just cannot close a DVC resort, what I mentioned above is not "fact" per se. It is the "law" as controlled by your contracts and timeshare law.

They have been closing off sections of the WDW resorts when occupancy was low. This cuts down on staff and operational costs. Things may have gotten so bad that it made sense to close one of the moderates, so they chose the smallest. Technically, this is a "large section" of the PO complex.

I find it hard to believe as well, but some travel agents have posted they received notification.

DVC resorts will remain open as long as the occupancy levels sustain it. I don't believe they'd ever close an entire DVC resort but they could close off sections.

My DH has ressies there on Monday for seminar. We just got back on Saturday. It was pretty slow there, but I can't see how they can close a whole hotel w/o informing people! They were doing some painting while we were there. I've been saying that I thought we were on the only one on our side of the building during the week. Guess I'd better find out what is going on!

And I'm supposed to feel confident about purchasing with the DVC?? I think we might just reconsider.

And I'm supposed to feel confident about purchasing with the DVC?? I think we might just reconsider.
Don't worry. DVC members have deeded leases, prepaid until 2042. DVC members are legally entitled to their usage every year -- whether they want it or not.

Werner: So how does it work if occupancy is off? Can they just close a resort (like POFQ) and force you to stay somewhere else? Or, is the occupancy still steady since they know they "already have you" so to speak (use it or lose it)? I mean, couldn't they just say it's not available or full at the time you call?

I found out POFQ is closing 11/2. Dh is checking out on 11/1 so I think he's okay. Very sad he'll be one of the last ones there :( It's so sad that our economy is this bad (and was before the attacks, but made worse since). Has WDW ever closed a resort for this reason? I'm still not sure about purchasing at this time due to the economy. We were even contemplating purchasing a larger house when the attacks happened. We've shelved that for now due to the economy. Just what I'd want is a mortgage 2x mine now and something had to DH's job.

TinkerBell Rules: The difference is POFQ is a Disney resort, owned and operated by Disney. The DVC resorts are not owned by Disney and there are contractual obligations. It is like comparing apples to oranges. Timeshares fall under completely different laws than hotels.

Tinkerbellrules-
You are sounding like Sgtpet a few months ago. Talk to him. He eventually joined.

I saw Sgtpet's post recently. It was cute ;) I guess I'm just afraid I'll buy into something that might not be there someday (not saying it won't, but just the fear). Plus, I'm a little worried about the economy and don't know if we should purchase a "luxury" item at this point and time. We really loved VWL, even the studio. We love to camp and loved the outdoor feeling of the resort. I guess if it were a few months ago, we wouldn't really have a second thought about it. I have a cousin and our best friends are DVC members and they love it.

I never realized that Disney did not own the DVC resorts. I'm not really familiar with timeshares as well (except the ones where you HAVE to stay at a particular time, which I'd hate!)

Thanks for the advice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter