Are all airlines crooks??? Lack a sense of Ethics (Compromise For Travel Mum)

DizOz

DIS Veteran
Tried to change our flight from JFK to Orlando from 3pm to an ealier one to be on the same one our friends are on.

As it was booked as part of a qantas ticket they wwanted to charge me US$150 per person and as it was an American Airline flight they were going to charge US$60 per person as well. So for the 4 of us 2 adults and 2 children a total of US$840.

To but the tickets outright on the net it was only AU$480.

How do they justify a charge that is more than the ticket itself when the tickets already been paid for????

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3

:rotfl2:

I had the same issue with AA in May! Due to unforseen circumstances, we left Oz 1 day earlier than planned and tried to bring our LAX to Miami flight forward by one day. The tickets originally cost me $190 per person. To change the flight, I was going to be up for $150 per person. I couldn't work it out either. And I couldn't cancel the original booking because I wasn't entitled to a refund. I would have to forfeit the entire amount (which I had already prepaided!).

In the end, I thanked them and spent the extra time in LA and the money went towards funding a Catalina Island Day trip.

That is shocking. It seriously lacks customer service.

My husband's company is working with Qantas on some projects at the moment and I keep telling him to hint for some free international flights :rotfl2:

Tried to change our flight from JFK to Orlando from 3pm to an ealier one to be on the same one our friends are on.

As it was booked as part of a qantas ticket they wwanted to charge me US$150 per person and as it was an American Airline flight they were going to charge US$60 per person as well. So for the 4 of us 2 adults and 2 children a total of US$840.

To but the tickets outright on the net it was only AU$480.

How do they justify a charge that is more than the ticket itself when the tickets already been paid for????

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3

That's terrible! What a rip off! We are on that morning flight with AA from JFK to Orlando. The time just changed from 9.30 to 9am which is fine, get to WDW a little earlier. Seriously it is not going to cost them $60 per person to reissue a little eticket but what is with the $150 so $210 per person :eek: to type a few keys on the computer and send an email with a new eticket! It's just a rip off!

We were supposed to go to Hamilton Island this weekend for a week and because of my torn artery we can not go. I called to change our flights (we will go later in the year) with Jetstar and it's going to be $60 each per flight (so $120 each return per person) to change, well the flights were $89 originally. So I'm off to the DR today to get a letter as apparantly they will let us change them and get a credit with a DR's letter.

It is irritating but it is all in their terms and conditions.
The better airfare price you get the more constrictions.
They make you lock yourself in so they have a guaranteed amount of money coming and then to make up for the fare discount you got...if you change your mind then they charge you.

It is very very common practice and as I say it is in all their terms and conditions.
Cheap fare = LOTS of extra charges and restrictions if you want to change.
Just have a look at virgin or qantas and go to book a domestic ticket. You can get one way Syd melb as low as $39 if you are flexible on dates and time of flight and will PREPAY and lock in that ticket. Move to the flexi fares where you can change and we are in the hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

They make you lock yourself in so they have a guaranteed amount of money coming and then to make up for the fare discount you got...if you change your mind then they charge you.

It is very very common practice and as I say it is in all their terms and conditions.
Just have a look at virgin or qantas and go to book a domestic ticket. You can get one way Syd melb as low as $39 if you are flexible on dates and time of flight and will PREPAY and lock in that ticket. Move to the flexi fares where you can change and we are in the hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

Very true queenie82 my brother flew from Brisbane to Mackay one way $79 had to change the day cost him $339 for the trip I warned him but did not listen they had no more tickets for $79 and he had to pay

Yes, definitely, the cheaper the ticket, the more restrictive are the conditions. Most discounted tickets are non-changeable and non-refundable :sad2:

When I used to work in travel, we would refer to them as the 'cheap and nasty' fares. You pay a premium for flexibility.

When I used to work in travel, we would refer to them as the 'cheap and nasty' fares. You pay a premium for flexibility.

Yes, I agree Jade! Oh and to answer the original question, whilst airlines are often mean and greedy, I don't think they are crooks!

Queenie I don't mind paying extra to change and I realise if I have booked a discounted ticket there are restrictions. But how do they justify charging you more for changing a ticket than getting a new ticket???

Also why do I have to pay 2 airlines to change one ticket???

Yes, I agree Jade! Oh and to answer the original question, whilst airlines are often mean and greedy, I don't think they are crooks!

Not sure travel mum, what would you call what Qantas has been doing for decades on the Australina-US travel routes. They get the majority of their profits from these routes as they have very little competition.

Qantas was caught price fixing with other airlines on the cargo business on the same US-Australian routes.

What about airlines pricing structures until they were forced to change by the ACCC. They advertised price of tickets only to be stung by fuel levies, taxes and other charges. Often more expensive than the ticket.

What about airlines enticing people into frequent flyer programs and then changing how and when you can use your points. In some cases doubling the points required for upgrades.

Lets just say they may not be crooks but they lack any sense of ethics.

:headache::headache::headache:

DizOz, I am completely with you. Yes I understand it's in their terms and conditions and there are cheap fares now and they do have to charge for extras like luggage etc to make up for the cheap fares, they do still have to maintain the planes, pay staff, buy fuel etc. Actually I read the other day that Tiger Airways now charges $15 if you want to check in at the airport :eek: And I do understand all that. I do choose and not choose to fly with airlines if I do not like or agree with certain things in the policies or service.

However, regardless of the fact that it's in their terms and conditions I don't know how they can justify charging you $210 in total for each person to simply move to an earlier flight! $60 ok or a reasonable fee, but $210 is just crazy! I am sure it didn't say in your terms and conditions that we will charge you $210 each for any changes and it does not make sense when the cost to make the change is more expensive than buying a whole new ticket!

Yes profits came from the route in the past.
But V-Australia has been flying the Aus-US route at a loss for MONTHS. In fact the majority of the time they have.

They need to make money other ways...and if you want to change your mind you WILL pay.

I don't like it...but I DO like the discounts so if this is the way they do it...then you need to read and understand before you pay for it.
They aren't crooks...but like so many things...you really need to understand what you are accepting and read all the terms and conditions

Yes profits came from the route in the past.
But V-Australia has been flying the Aus-US route at a loss for MONTHS. In fact the majority of the time they have.

They need to make money other ways...and if you want to change your mind you WILL pay.

I don't like it...but I DO like the discounts so if this is the way they do it...then you need to read and understand before you pay for it.
They aren't crooks...but like so many things...you really need to understand what you are accepting and read all the terms and conditions

Queenie just because they put something in there T&C's does not make it right or even legal.. The banks are a prime example of that withtheir penalty fees being deemed illegal and now facing massive class action.

In fact queenie I think you missed my point. I do not mind paying extra but how can changing a ticket be more expensive than buying a whole new ticket???? At the very most it should be the same. I just want the cost to be fair and reasonable.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Queenie just because they put something in there T&C's does not make it right or even legal.. The banks are a prime example of that withtheir penalty fees being deemed illegal and now facing massive class action.

In fact queenie I think you missed my point. I do not mind paying extra but how can changing a ticket be more expensive than buying a whole new ticket???? At the very most it should be the same. I just want the cost to be fair and reasonable.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm not going to argue with you about it. I see perfectly what you are questioning but your expectations are simply never going to be met which is MY point.
So you MUST understand what you are getting yourself into because they will NOT change for the better.
Every day there is some new charge being added to all the 'discount' airlines so they can keep the fares 'low'.

Many have been making the point that it is simpler and cheaper overall flying easy jet rather than ryan air o/s because if the constant charges they add.

how can changing a ticket be more expensive than buying a whole new ticket????
It is a computer system that has calculations. The fact is this ISN'T always the case. Prices change and fluctuate.
They are anomilies within the system and you need to just work within the system.

I understand your frustration and I make NO excuses for them or the banks...but you just have to live with it and pick the lesser of all the evils within the airline industry :confused3

Hey I just posted a thread about this very thing! That's what happens when I don't come back to this section of the Dis often enough!! :lmao:

I knew it was in the terms and conditions before I booked it, and knew to expect charges, I guess I was just hoping that they wouldn't be as high as they are!! :scared1:

Considering if it wasn't part of the international ticket that I need to fly with, then I could just not turn up, and not be socked with a $500 fee :confused3

Hey I just posted a thread about this very thing! That's what happens when I don't come back to this section of the Dis often enough!! :lmao:

I knew it was in the terms and conditions before I booked it, and knew to expect charges, I guess I was just hoping that they wouldn't be as high as they are!! :scared1:

Considering if it wasn't part of the international ticket that I need to fly with, then I could just not turn up, and not be socked with a $500 fee :confused3
Trust me I SYMPATHISE....I really do. It really sux... :hug:

As for it being on the international ticket...
We always want that to get the full baggage allowance all the way. It (as you have discovered) increase the restrictions etc...but the extra charges for baggage (including carry on for some :scared1: ) it can really add up.

You pretty much are in a lose lose situation with the airlines unless you can set things in stone and stick with it :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter