April 2018 Car Rental Watch

zilp

Mouseketeer
I've bought my airline tickets for April spring break here in the Northeast, so now it's time to look for car rental deals! So far, I have a reservation for Dollar April 14-21 for $421 for a minivan. I booked that back in July. I need to add one day (now leaving the 13th) and prices are outrageous right now. Looking forward to seeing and sharing deals in the upcoming months :)

We fly in on the 11th and home on the 21st. I currently have two reservations with Alamo for Full size. I want the car for the entire time, but could do without it until the 14th. The price from the 11th until the 14th is what is killing me. Pick up on the 14th is less than $24/day. Pick up on the 11th jumps the average price per day to over $36. If we wait to pick up on the 14th we will have to pay for transportation from MCO to Universal and back so it would really eat up most of the savings even after factoring in parking fees at Universal. Hope the price drops! I check every day.

Picking up 4/21 to 5/1. Just got a Full Size for 320 including taxes/fees at alamo through Costco

Just grabbed a full size through Dollar pay now rate for 4/11-4/21 for $304 all in. Happier with that.

Midsize from Alamo, 4/14-4/21 $224 including taxes and fees. I'd love to see it go down another $50ish.

We have a premium SUV thru Alamo via the BJs website for $921. Wish it was less but I know it is double that most days. It's for 10 days.

I've bought my airline tickets for April spring break... April 14-21
Sorry to step on your thread, but what kind of airfare did you get? With those spring break dates, I'm guessing you're in Mass or Maine. I have not been able to find reasonable airfares.

Sorry to step on your thread, but what kind of airfare did you get? With those spring break dates, I'm guessing you're in Mass or Maine. I have not been able to find reasonable airfares.
we have Maine school vacation. Southwest is fairly reasonable out of Manchester NH if you fly on Tuesdays. We are flying Sunday-Monday (8nights) missing the first day back to school and our airfare was not the best-booked it when it was released...$156 down and $200 back
But the tuesday nonstop are holding steady at $133 still.....

I paid $500pp RT, non stop. Horribly expensive IMO, but cheaper than I have paid in the past.

I paid $500pp RT, non stop. Horribly expensive IMO, but cheaper than I have paid in the past.
You got that for Friday to Saturday? That's excellent based on what I've seen. Flying out of Logan?

EDIT: Back on topic, I think the car rental rates will come down. Not many people are on spring break that week, but I bet the car inventory will still be high from the more populated spring break weeks.

Last edited:
We are in VT and our spring break is the same week 14-22. We decided to take the kids out of school 3 days early so we are flying down on 4/11. We drive to Albany NY to get decent airfare. We paid $108 down (Jetblue on 4/11) and $98 back (Southwest 4/21).

Yeah, that's awesome. My kids are still young enough that I would not have a problem with them missing a few days of school, but I can't do that for other reasons. Maybe I could take them out for one extra day, but that's it.

I'm a teacher in Maine flying down for April vacation. My district gives us the Friday before off. I am using two of my personal days so that my family and I can fly down on Wednesday. I was planning to fly down on Thursday but we saved $120pp to fly out on Wednesday. My 5 year old is in kindergarten in a different district and will be missing three days of school.

I have multiple car rental reservations at this point. I am not renting from the airport. Instead, I'll be renting from either Alamo at the car care center or from Dollar at the Wyndham Hotel in Disney Springs. I need something for 5 people, including 2 kids in carseats. Below is the chart I'm using to keep track of my rates.

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 12.35.08 PM.png

During my trip in April 2015, I rented a car from Dollar, at the same location, but returned it to the airport (midsize car 10 days for $175 - booked 8 day before our trip). I would consider doing the same thing this year, if I find a decent rate. As mentioned before, I am not renting from the airport. We will be using Magical Express when we land at MCO. I have no desire to deal with handling the luggage for 5 people, carry-ons and two car seats.

Cancelled our September reservations due to Irma, and we are ready for a re-do in April. So far the rates are high for Alamo and Dollar. Good luck to all of us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter