Apps for that? ...and dietary restrictions...?

MagicalMomAZ

DIS Veteran
So, the last time we went to DL, was 2010. I've been working to get back for SIX years & in that time...technology happened.

What do I need to look into or consider when it comes to apps, etc?
We MIGHT like to make dining reservations somewhere.
We DO want to utilize whatever is offered to make the most of the trip & fewer wait times. I always worry I"ll get an FP in one land, get off & then have to wait 2 hours for the next ride, & then have to backtrack to another land ...and...ugh, I just want smooth sailing. It's what makes this family happy.

Also, SO MANY dietary restrictions. No one can eat wheat. One can't eat dairy. Three can't eat sugar. I am prepared to bring snacks but does anyone know how hard it is to eat at sit-down dining in the park & have choices that work?

I would download the official Disneyland App. From there, you can see wait times, characters and show schedules, make dining reservations, and see your FP times (if you link your tickets to the app). If you opt to purchase MaxPass, then you'll need to link your tickets to the official Disneyland app, so you can use it most effectively.

Also, SO MANY dietary restrictions. No one can eat wheat. One can't eat dairy. Three can't eat sugar. I am prepared to bring snacks but does anyone know how hard it is to eat at sit-down dining in the park & have choices that work?
For meals it might be best to make ADR's where you can discuss restrictions with the chef.

We DO want to utilize whatever is offered to make the most of the trip & fewer wait times. I always worry I"ll get an FP in one land, get off & then have to wait 2 hours for the next ride, & then have to backtrack to another land ...and...ugh, I just want smooth sailing. It's what makes this family happy.
Sounds like you would like MaxPass. There's an extra charge, but it allows you to book FP from the app instead of walking over to the kiosks, so it cuts down a lot on the "backtracking" problem. You can be hanging out in one land while booking FP for later for whatever land you plan to be in at that time. There are also other benefits (photos, shorter time to wait for your next FP, ability to snatch up FP that other people cancelled).

From that same app (the official Disneyland app), you can manage your dining reservations and check ride wait times (even if you don't buy MaxPass). That is the only specific app I use.

For meals it might be best to make ADR's where you can discuss restrictions with the chef.
What's an ADR?

Thank you! I got the app, I paid for the MaxPass. We've decided to bring food in but will buy if we get hungry, I've pinned restaurants we can eat at easily. I guess Bengal BBQ is a good one for GF, grain-free items.

What's an ADR?

Thank you! I got the app, I paid for the MaxPass. We've decided to bring food in but will buy if we get hungry, I've pinned restaurants we can eat at easily. I guess Bengal BBQ is a good one for GF, grain-free items.

Oh...something "diet restriction"...I hit send before I thought about it.

What's an ADR?
I think it stands for "advanced dining reservations" - it's the term people use around here for making a reservation at a sit-down restaurant as opposed to eating at a quick service place. If you note on your reservation and/or inform the host when you arrive that you have dietary restrictions, they often send the chef out to discuss your options.

For Bengal BBQ be sure to check what's in the sauces. I don't know one way or the other whether the sauces are GF, but my dad has celiac and I know sauces in general can be tricky for him, particularly soy sauce. They will make you a skewer without sauce on request, but it's pretty bland.

Disney is second to none in dietary needs, you can rely on them to give you the best dining experience possible.

Do pack snacks. Disney (at least as far as gluten goes) doesn't have a lot of variety and virtually NO fresh baked goods. The popcorn is GF and so are some of the packaged candies/sweets. They do have prepackaged muffins/cookies/brownie that are GF and I THINK also nut and dairy free (but do check). There are also fresh fruit stands.

CMs are very good about knowing or checking on allergy status, so ask them. If you don't feel completely reassured they usually have an 'allergy book' that lists ingredients. I've only had a problem ONCE, a 'bus person' plunked a basket of rolls down and when I questioned it told me they were GF. It was caught almost immediately by our server and a non-GF bread roll was snatched out of my hand in mid-journey to my mouth (LOL).

We have a gluten free super thread, it will help with the wheat issues and I think there's some dairy free info on some of the posts. Read from most recent backward so you get the most recent info first.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/gluten-free-dining-at-the-disneyland-resort-a-superthread.3003289/

As far as multiple food issues, they prefer that you book your reservations and then contact the dietary dept directly. They can't answer specific questions (Is the chicken at YYY suitable? or What can I eat at XXX?) about every eatery, but once you've made the reservation they can help you be sure it will serve your needs.

Here's Disney's link;

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/

Here's from that link on Disney's website for multiple allergies:

Metabolic Disorders & Multiple Allergies

Guests with requests associated with the list below should contact us at Special.Diets@disneyland.com after booking all dining arrangements for their visit at least 14 days prior to arrival.

• Any allergy or intolerance not listed above
  • Individual Guests with 4 or more allergies/intolerances or several Guests with allergies/intolerances within the same party
  • Metabolic disorders
  • Phenylketonuria (PKU)
Our team will assist Guests in navigating the dining process. In addition, Disneyland Resort restaurants will do their best to accommodate dietary requirements but cannot guarantee that they can meet all requests.

What's an ADR?

Niltiac thank you for letting them know the abbreviation. I haven't been on the internet all day today....

Yes. ADR is the abbreviation for Advanced Dining Reservations.

Geemo

Here's a link to a thread of abbreviations. It's a thread that began in 2007.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/dlr-abbreviations-list.1520784/

I am also celiac (and dairy free). Disneyland is one of the only places I know where I can get a GF/DF cheese pizza! That's at Pizza Port. I also like getting burgers and fries at Smokejumpers and Hungry Bear. Jolly Holiday sandwiches are excellent. For the ones in your family that can have sugar the frozen lemonades are also GF/DF. But I would be very careful about Bengal BBQ. I went there on two separate trips and both times they said they could make a skewer without sauce but there would likely be cross-contamination. So I just didn't eat there. Good luck and have a great time!

I am also celiac (and dairy free). Disneyland is one of the only places I know where I can get a GF/DF cheese pizza! That's at Pizza Port. I also like getting burgers and fries at Smokejumpers and Hungry Bear. Jolly Holiday sandwiches are excellent. For the ones in your family that can have sugar the frozen lemonades are also GF/DF. But I would be very careful about Bengal BBQ. I went there on two separate trips and both times they said they could make a skewer without sauce but there would likely be cross-contamination. So I just didn't eat there. Good luck and have a great time!

How do they make burgers GF at Smokejumpers and hungry bear? They have GF pizza? Wowsers! How much are these options?

We have a range of dietry issues, GF, DF, nuts and vegan, at Disneyland we were well taken care of... There is another app 'GF for Disney dining' which helps with planning where to book...

What's an ADR?

ADR is advance dining reservation.

Does Disney charge extra?
No, and kind of. My daughter is egg/milk/peanut allergic. They have allergy menus that aren't more $ than the regular menu. However, they often leave things off. For example, there is no safe bread for my daughter at Flo's V8 Cafe (and side options are only fresh fruit and steamed veggies. No starch options at all for allergies). So, they leave that off; ends up being a reasonably low-carb (but not horribly filling) meal.

At Smokejumper's, they have a bacon cheeseburger on the menu. The allergy menu just has a burger for the same price as the bacon cheeseburger. It is the same burger (for us) as the bacon cheeseburger, but without bacon or cheese. If you want bacon on it, that will be $4 extra. Yup, $4 extra to not get cheese on the bacon cheeseburger.

The GF/DF pizza at Pizza port is $7.49 for cheese (Daiya) only or $7.99 for pepperoni. No other options are available.

My sister is GF, and I don't believe she has been charged extra for a GF bun. She has been able to get a GF bun at all the burger places. Fries have been safe everywhere (for both her and my daughter).

Also, Lucky Fortune Cookery has GF Teriyaki sauce available. It's actually one of my sister's favorite places to eat at Disneyland. My favorite is Cocina Cucamonga - they make food so flavorful, you don't even miss the dairy products.

Popcorn is a GF/DF snack.

Last edited:
What's an ADR?..

I think it stands for "advanced dining reservations" - it's the term people use around here for making a reservation at a sit-down restaurant as opposed to eating at a quick service place...

... ADR is the abbreviation for Advanced Dining Reservations...

ADR is advance dining reservation.

ADR is a commonly used term, usually at WDW, but carried over to this board, too. The other term you will see used at DLR (not at WDW) is PS which stands for Priority Seating. It is basically the same thing: a dining reservation time at a TS restaurant. Your PS time works like a FP in that it gives you a time when you will most likely be seated, but there is no guarantee about that. If the party ahead of you does not leave their table or if there is some sort of emergency (like a big spill that must be cleaned up), then you may still have to wait and will be seated later. But under normal circumstances, a PS time will work just like a regular restaurant reservation time.

No, and kind of. My daughter is egg/milk/peanut allergic. They have allergy menus that aren't more $ than the regular menu. However, they often leave things off. For example, there is no safe bread for my daughter at Flo's V8 Cafe (and side options are only fresh fruit and steamed veggies. No starch options at all for allergies). So, they leave that off; ends up being a reasonably low-carb (but not horribly filling) meal.

At Smokejumper's, they have a bacon cheeseburger on the menu. The allergy menu just has a burger for the same price as the bacon cheeseburger. It is the same burger (for us) as the bacon cheeseburger, but without bacon or cheese. If you want bacon on it, that will be $4 extra. Yup, $4 extra to not get cheese on the bacon cheeseburger.

The GF/DF pizza at Pizza port is $7.49 for cheese (Daiya) only or $7.99 for pepperoni. No other options are available.

My sister is GF, and I don't believe she has been charged extra for a GF bun. She has been able to get a GF bun at all the burger places. Fries have been safe everywhere (for both her and my daughter).

Also, Lucky Fortune Cookery has GF Teriyaki sauce available. It's actually one of my sister's favorite places to eat at Disneyland. My favorite is Cocina Cucamonga - they make food so flavorful, you don't even miss the dairy products.

Popcorn is a GF/DF snack.

Wow, good to know! Thanks for this information!

At Smokejumper's, they have a bacon cheeseburger on the menu. The allergy menu just has a burger for the same price as the bacon cheeseburger. It is the same burger (for us) as the bacon cheeseburger, but without bacon or cheese. If you want bacon on it, that will be $4 extra. Yup, $4 extra to not get cheese on the bacon cheeseburger.(quote)

For gluten free allergies only, Flos has lots. Including sandwiches, meats, mashed potatoes and veggies. As well as being able to have several burgers gf at smokejumpers.all at no extra price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter