App to track runner

osopecoso

Registered
So my wife wants to know what app everyone recommends for tracking a runner during race/general run. I run with iPhone and Apple Watch. We have a few races coming up and a few big races in Disney next year.

During races some will have runner tracking that will give times when you cross timing mats and will text / post to facebook etc etc. I'm not sure of ones that actually 'live track' you. I know we use the app life360 that does GPS tracking, and that works great, but it's not really a runner tracking app.

For races that don't have a tracker that alerts someone when you cross a timing map or if you want real time GPS tracking use Road ID app. I use it when I run on my own and have the stationary alerts on but it also has GPS tracking. Either way only the people you set up will get the alerts and every time you start a run they will get a text or email to track you live. It can be a battery sucker though but you can turn on battery saver mode where it doesn't pull the gps as often.

You can do it during races as well but some races provide their own tracking.

Strava has a live tracking option but you have to be a premium member to use the function. And I'm not sure how well it pairs with Apple Watch. Garmin also has live track options but obviously that won't help you.

Runkeeper also has a live tracking option. I tried to set it up for my wife but she is fine with the timing mat notifications that RunDisney sends out

I think with the iPhone you could share your location, but that would be a big battery drain.

Yea I read about Strava but don't need a premium membership. How does the Disney tracker work?

There's an app called RunSafe that my local running store was promoting at one point. They paid the small fee to set it up originally, I think. I haven't really used it, so I can't really give an opinion of it. I think you can track people and then it has a button to send your location by call or text (??) to someone you've set up to send it to if you feel like you are in danger.

I've used Garmin LiveTrack with reasonble success. I've set up the session the night before the race and when I started the activity it emails a link to the people you want to share with. My mum and dad managed to track me in real time at home and they are quite technologically challenged. My friends were able to work out where I was on the course though there was a little bit of a lag.

I'm not sure how/if it works with Apple watches or whether you'd need to track via your phone. I have also got the Relive app on my iPhone and though it's not in real time, it's a nice way to share your favourite running routes with friends. You can also add geotagged photos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter