AP vs new postcard rate.....what's up with that????

cindyfan

DIS Veteran
I'm really getting confused .......
What is up with WDW? Have they turned on their loyal annual pass holder guests?????
They have had countless codes come out already, now we are hearing about this new postcard........$74/night for moderates!!
Which is awesome for those receiving it.
BUT.....what about annual passholders???

If there were no codes or discounts, etc....I would just say oh well, there just aren't any discounts.

But....what's up???

Originally posted by cindyfan
I'm really getting confused .......
What is up with WDW? Have they turned on their loyal annual pass holder guests?????
They have had countless codes come out already, now we are hearing about this new postcard........$74/night for moderates!!
Which is awesome for those receiving it.
BUT.....what about annual passholders???

If there were no codes or discounts, etc....I would just say oh well, there just aren't any discounts.

But....what's up???

My guess is there have been abuses to the using of AP discounts and the few such as you are paying the price. But then that is always the case. A few cause problems and everyone else pays the price.

Just my opinion.

There is a whole other thread on this discussion...."AP's not out yet" particularly on the last couple of pages if you don't want to read the whole thread.

What about the deluxe rooms? Do they usually do any price breaks or postcards on those?? :confused:

With the exception of last year, AP rates usually come out pretty last minute. They are meant to help Disney fill resort rooms at the last minute while at the same time benefitting their passholders with significant resort discounts, sometimes up to 45%. But again, many times they have not been released until sometimes as close as 3 weeks before the time period.

Annual Passholders usually take frequent trips to WDW throughout the year, thus the reason for being an annual passholder, and so booking last minute is usually not a problem for an annual passholder.

The problem here is that many folks are purchasing APs only for the room discounts, so maybe Disney is trying to figure out a better way to benefit their LOYAL guests.

I have a trip planned for the end of May, yet I have not made a single reservation as of yet. Rather than book far in advance, and then waste my dime on the phone and waste CROs time by changing my reservation every time some new code comes out to lower my rate by another $10 :rolleyes: , I will wait until AP rates come out, and take whatever resort is available with the AP discount. Now I'm planning on staying at POFQ & YC but if they end up not being available, then I'll just book another resort at the AP rate. This does not bother me because I am making several trips this year and so if I don't get my first choice, big deal. That's the whole idea of being an annual passholder and AP rates.

There are public codes that are available right now. Now I think that AP rates will end up being better, but on the other hand I will have to wait longer to get them. I guess I'll just have to be patient. :D

Originally posted by BrianD
With the exception of last year, AP rates usually come out pretty last minute. They are meant to help Disney fill resort rooms at the last minute while at the same time benefitting their passholders with significant resort discounts, sometimes up to 45%. But again, many times they have not been released until sometimes as close as 3 weeks before the time period.

Annual Passholders usually take frequent trips to WDW throughout the year, thus the reason for being an annual passholder, and so booking last minute is usually not a problem for an annual passholder.

The problem here is that many folks are purchasing APs only for the room discounts, so maybe Disney is trying to figure out a better way to benefit their LOYAL guests.

I have a trip planned for the end of May, yet I have not made a single reservation as of yet. Rather than book far in advance, and then waste my dime on the phone and waste CROs time by changing my reservation every time some new code comes out to lower my rate by another $10 :rolleyes: , I will wait until AP rates come out, and take whatever resort is available with the AP discount. Now I'm planning on staying at POFQ & YC but if they end up not being available, then I'll just book another resort at the AP rate. This does not bother me because I am making several trips this year and so if I don't get my first choice, big deal. That's the whole idea of being an annual passholder and AP rates.

There are public codes that are available right now. Now I think that AP rates will end up being better, but on the other hand I will have to wait longer to get them. I guess I'll just have to be patient. :D

Very good point, Brian, and before Internet Forums became popular no one knew enough to worry about it.

Ignorance is bliss. :)

I actually found out about AP discounts not from an internet forum, but from CRO themselves. I called to book a resort for our trip several years ago before I had access to the internet and asked if they had any discounts available for the time I was going. The CM asked me if I had an annual pass to which I replied no. She said it didn't matter and said I didn't need it until check in. She offered me an AP discount at the Ft. Wilderness Homes. We ended up with the moderates because we had 7 in our group and needed 2 rooms, but I was surprised that she told me that I didn't need the pass until check in.

...am I the only one who watched the news today?!?

Havent you all heard - there's a war going on! :eek:

The answer to this is all quite simple, tourism has significantly decreased in the past month at WDW...and they are waiting to see what happens to know what type of rate to release...people just are not travelling right now is all...

Keep in mind that codes/rates act like *stand by flights* (it depends how many they already have booked...;) )

ick....not to mention this SARS thing...

Originally posted by madonna31
...am I the only one who watched the news today?!?

Havent you all heard - there's a war going on! :eek:

The answer to this is all quite simple, tourism has significantly decreased in the past month at WDW...and they are waiting to see what happens to know what type of rate to release...people just are not travelling right now is all...

Keep in mind that codes/rates act like *stand by flights* (it depends how many they already have booked...;) )

ick....not to mention this SARS thing...

I agree, I really don't think the release of AP rates has a thing to do with "abuses". I don't consider buying an AP to get a room discount an abuse and I don't think WDW does either since they really push the sale of AP's.

You all may want to try and get a Disney Visa, it seems they are pushing codes that way. Reports have been a package deal past 7/3 (for some people, it seems to be going by state or region) and in my deals section there is a Florida Resident rate (room only) past 7/3 (regular Fla. Resident rate is only up to 7/3). I really have a feeling that Disney will be marketing more through the Visa.

Which yes I know isn't fair since international guests can't get the Disney Visa and everyone can't qualify.

BrianD-Great post! You have expressed what I have been talking about with some of my Disney-loving friends. Alot of us have been thinking about booking trips this spring and summer and the thoughts are the same as yours. I have decided that because my airline tixs are bought & paid for I needed to have that room ressie so I booked it with a decent code and have already paid for the room. I felt that the rate I paid was what I would be happy paying & if they AP rates come out, great, if not then I am ok with my rate right now.

Other AP holders that I know are doing the same thing that you mentioned--just waiting and are going to continue to wait until they get the rate they want or just change plans a bit.

I guess the old adage is true-patience is a virtue! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter