AP discounts when passholder is a child?

4Hawks

"Be a goldfish" - Ted Lasso
Hello All,
My dad gifted my kids annual passes. DH and I will not be purchasing APs for us. Can we use their discounts when paying at restaurants/stores?

Also, are there any discounts for AP holders when buying regular tickets (that we could use to buy our tickets)?

TIA!

The AP holder is generally the one that has to pay, and they can be expected to be asked for ID. Even kids. Do the kids have passports? If you're staying onsite you can let the kids have charging privileges so they are paying...

No there are no AP discounts for tickets.

There's no price difference on APs for kids vs adults. FYI. So there's no "child AP"... Can one be repurposed for an adult? Or is his reason so that he can take them without you?

It depends on the CM. There was a time when my son had an AP and I did not (I could get in for free). Some gave the discount without question and others gave hard time. I'd make a photocopy of the child's birth certificate and bring it

There's no price difference on APs for kids vs adults. FYI. So there's no "child AP"... Can one be repurposed for an adult? Or is his reason so that he can take them without you?

Yes, they're going to visit without us this summer :)

Letting the kids pay is a great idea. Thanks!

It depends on the CM. There was a time when my son had an AP and I did not (I could get in for free). Some gave the discount without question and others gave hard time. I'd make a photocopy of the child's birth certificate and bring it

Thank you :)

I believe that the reason they dropped the less expensive childs AP was specifically this reason. People would buy an AP for their child, and then tickets for everyone else and get the free parking and such. Now that the price in the same, there is no benefit/reason to buy one for the child instead of the adult. Technically nothing wrong with that, but Disney didn't want to leave money on the table.

As PPs have said, the child is technically supposed to be the one paying as they are the AP holder and thus the one entitled to the benefit. Some CMs will care, others won't, depends on the CM and their mood. Making sure your child either has a MB with charging privledges (if staying on property) or a Disney gift card should let you handle this as it comes up.

Some cast members made my daughter show ID and would not let her make purchases without it. Since I had an AP I would then step in and use my AP and ID. We are getting her a state ID before going this summer. It will come in handy for a few things until she gets her drivers license.

Some CMS are SO frustrating with the kids AP. They get so wrapped up in the ID business. He’s SEVEN.
With my nephew, I would show them the inside of his magic band if they were giving me a hard time. (Thankfully he wasn’t wearing the one we had printed with “BobaFett”)

When my son was 12/13 and had an annual pass he never got asked for ID. Now that he is 16 sometimes he gets asked for ID and other times he doesn't. He doesn't have his driver's license yet so the only ID he has is his school ID which does have his picture but it was always accepted by the CMs.

Sounds like its hit or miss but a lot of CMs on our trip in December allowed us to logon to MDE and show them that we had an annual pass. No ID required.

DD (8 now) uses her AP for the discount when she's buying something with her money - they've never asked for an ID they just ask "is your name .......?"

As others have said it depends on the CM- the thing that makes no sense to me is that my kids have always paid through their magic band- which shows who they are and CMs still argue with them about the discount and showing ID.

My son was 3 at the time. There was no way I was going to let him pay for something on his own

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter