Anyone worried about their upcoming trip due to possible war?

slg

DIS Veteran
I have a trip booked in December and am worried about what will happen if war is declared. Do we still go? Will there be a travel advisory for Canadians? Will we be able to get our money back with our cancellation insurance? Will it be safe to travel? My friends are stunned that I booked this trip last week despite all the war fears and now I'm starting to really worry. I suppose I just want to know what others are planning or if anyone else is also worried.

I have a trip booked in December and am worried about what will happen if war is declared. Do we still go? Will there be a travel advisory for Canadians? Will we be able to get our money back with our cancellation insurance? Will it be safe to travel? My friends are stunned that I booked this trip last week despite all the war fears and now I'm starting to really worry. I suppose I just want to know what others are planning or if anyone else is also worried.
I don't think you're nuts to be considering this possibility given everything that was said at the United Nations General Assembly meetings this past week. This is what i found on the TuGo Travel Insurance website. Based on this answer if you haven't already purchased insurance you should, if you have then you can rest easy that if there is an advisory issued you will be covered. As to if you should continue to plan your trip or not, that is really a personal decision.

Does travel insurance cover war, riots and civil unrest too?

Yes, your Trip Cancellation & Trip Interruption insurance will cover you in the event of war, riots and/or civil unrest, so long as the Government of Canada has issued an official travel advisory after the date the trip is booked or the date insurance was purchased, whichever occurs later.

Can I cancel my trip out of fear or based on rumours?
If there is no official travel advisory in place for your destination, the costs associated with cancelling your trip will not be covered.

Most people think that I am nuts for going to WDW for Christmas but not because of a war, just because we are going to WDW again. If it happens, it happens.....but personally I don't think that it will
heh... it's amazing how many people think they need to have an opinion on how you spend your personal time and money.

We have made a family decision to completely avoid any US travel for the foreseeable future. War is one of the reasons, civil unrest is another, a personal choice not to spend money in the US is also part of it.

That's as far as I'll go as I can't get into politics here

Ask your friends if they have finished their bunkers yet. Because if the USA is in a war, guess what. So are We. Enjoy life, and role with it. Control what you can, and what you cant, sprinkle pixie dust and hope its all talk.
No ostrich head in the sand, but cant live with doubts over our heads.

Wow ..even if there is war realistically WDW and pretty much all of the USA will be just fine.

If it's not and we have a worst nightmare scenario Canada will be pulled in and worse you don't have any of your own icbm interceptors.

I admit I have been wondering about our cruise and war more-and-more these days.

Our cruise is not until April 2018. Paid-in-full and not refundable. Yes, we have medical & trip insurance.

As we can do is keep on planning to go and see what happens in April.

Even if that is a major concern for you, don't waste your money on insurance. The Canadian government would never issue a travel advisory against the entire USA. If anything, you would need to worry about the USA closing their borders like on 9/11 - I live at a border crossing and trucks were stuck there for hours without moving. And not even on 9/11 did Canada issue a travel advisory. The insurance is worthless.

But to answer your question - I am not worried. I have three USA trips in the next seven months, including one to WDW.

I asked my insurance provider and they said it isn't covered. I have until Novembr 9 to pay in full so all i paid for are my flights...but I am nervous. Things are escalating so quickly. I will continue to hope for the best but the situation does take some of the joy away.

I asked my insurance provider and they said it isn't covered. I have until Novembr 9 to pay in full so all i paid for are my flights...but I am nervous. Things are escalating so quickly. I will continue to hope for the best but the situation does take some of the joy away.

I don't know anyone that is actually worried for their safety in the event of war with N. Korea which is what I assume your worried about.

Your traveling to Florida not S. Korea which is who has to really worry about war and no one would actually jump to defend NK and start WW III

Last edited:
If I had a trip planned in Japan or China, I might be worried a little but a trip to WDW?!? Not at all! We have a trip planned to California and Disneyland in April and a war with North Korea is at the bottom of my worries for that trip. It's not like NK has the capabilities to attack mainland USA. Guam...yes, Hawaii...maybe but mainland USA is extremely unlikely. And if it happens, Canada will have to enter the war (if the war is only oversea like it was in Vietnam or Irak, we don't have to join but if the USA is attacked, we have a bilateral agreement that makes us to join and support our neighbour) so Canada won't be safer than anyplace in the US imo.

I am heading to China quite soon and I am not worried. We're already registered with the government, so if things truly go bad, they have a way to reach us and evacuate us if needed.

I will enjoy Shanghai Disneyland and will just change destination if something happens in Korea before I leave.

North Korea leader lives in a life of luxury, just like an ancient Asian emperor. He has the absolute power and access to girls and foods. If you google him, you will see how he relentlessly pursues pleasures. If you look at his size, you know he is someone that indulges in life enjoyment. He will not give up all that. He is not the type of person that wants to live in a cave for the next few decades with no sunlight or access to luxury. It is my opinion he is just playing chicken with the USA. He will not start any war and get his palace wiped out. He is not that dumb.

So no, there is no need to worry about Disney trip at all. North Korea is not going to do anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts