Anyone know how to make satin "flowers" to hold rice/birdseed for weddings??

eeyoresmountainpals

<font color="green">Volunteer Firefighter and Mom
When I got married my mom and aunts made "flowers" as favors for my wedding reception. The flowers were made out of very wide satin ribbon or a square of satin. They attached a stem and leaves to the bottom and somehow stiched the material to form an open flower. Then they put birdseed in the flower and folded down the top to hold in the birdseed. When DH and I were ready to leave the reception all the guests got a flower and when they held on to the stem of the flower they were able to flip the flower forward so that the birdseed flew out at us. Then everyone had a flower to have after the wedding as a favor.

If anyone knows how to make these I would love to know. Our DD is getting married in May and I'd like to make these for her wedding!

Well, I found an answer my question already! :lmao: It just took some on-line searching.

Here are the directions in case anyone is interested in making these:

You need is 2" strips of fabric in your color(s), folded and sewn along edge, then turn inside out to create a tube. You will want to cut the fabric tube to about 3 1/2" lengths.

You will need 2-3 rolls of 1/4" floral tape in green.

You will need wire floral leaves (the stem of the leaf is bendable wire)

You will need to 1/4 inch wooden dowells, cut to the length you desire (6"-8" works best)

You will need some thin floral wire.

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Insert wooden dowel 3/4" inside one end of the satin tube. Wrap floral wire snugly around end of material, securing it to pick.

2. Wrap wooden dowel with floral tape starting at base of flower, covering wire, adding leaves near top of stem. Stretch tape while wrapping.

3. Fill satin tube with desired contents (rice, potpourri, bird seed, ect). Fold top of material in, to form bud. You can add a straight pin or safety pin to bud to hold closed or to hold a special not from bride & groom to guests.

Fill a decorated pale, basket or vase with some sand or floral foam and place stems in it to hold upright

Good luck with the project, and best wishes to your DD. :)

I don't know how to make them, but my bridesmaids, aunts, cousins, mom, etc. made them for me when I got married. They used the same material as my (homemade) wedding and bridesmaids and flower girl dresses plus one or two other complimenting colors. They turned out very nicely. After filling them with birdseed, the roses were arranged into baskets with other floral stuff and served as centerpieces for our reception tables. At the proper time, guests simply plucked the roses to keep and use in the "send-off."

I made these for my wedding as well. We put them in flower gathering baskets and had the flower girls and assistants pass them out after the reception. During the reception they were in the baskets on the gift tables (I think) it was a while ago :rotfl:

I may have photos if you need some.

Not too hard to make. We saved money by using an old bamboo shade for stems. Pull the rods out of the shade, and cut them to desired lengths. We got ours at a nearby materials resourse center for recycling. Saved myself about $20.00, and recycled a shade.
After you insert the "stem" into the "flower" start wrapping with floral tape from the top down, creating a bud, and then covering the length of the stem. Easy to do while watching TV.

I did this for my wedding 13 years ago. My mother was in total shock because I am not a crafty person at all. One thing I did that saved time was found some cheap fake flower bushels and took the flowers off, then cut the stems off and just tapped my cloth flower bud to the top.

Oh, and I used the flowers taken off the stems on some fake Ivy I had purchased and used it to decorate some latice (sp?) board.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter