• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Anyone feel pressured to order 3 courses?

jsmla

DIS Veteran
We currently have the Dining Plan. The problem is that we were planning on paying OOP for my entree at a few places and saving that credit for later use. Now it seems we may not be able to do this. Okay then, we'll each use a credit for each TS meal. Here's the problem. There's no way I will eat an appetizer, entree and dessert at many of our meals (lunches and early dinners) and I've read about servers pushing these items in order to pad the bill. I understand that they want the extra tip, but I don't want to waste all that food. When the kiddos were young our rule was you order it (or put it on your plate at a buffet), you eat it. I'll feel like an idiot ordering food I know I won't eat.

I've added everything up and we'll still come out ahead (slightly) with the plan since DH likes to order the more expensive menu items and enjoys a full three course meal. I just don't want to be pushed to order more food than I can eat!

Thanks

Well, the easy answer to your problem is to smile nicely and say "no thanks, that's all I want". Don't feel intimidated by anyone.

I would just order what I wanted. We paid OOP for one of us and shared the appitizer and dessert from the DDP meal when we were there with no problems. That way we could enjoy more TS meals. We were not using "child" credits for "adult" meals, just sharing. I hope that is still allowed.

We didn't get caught-up in figuring out the best way to spend more on meals. We ate what we wanted where we wanted. As it turned out we got sick at the end of our trip, so we had lots of credits unused. We lost money on the plan this time, but will definitely do it again in the future. It is a great plan.

TruBlu said:
I would just order what I wanted. We paid OOP for one of us and shared the appitizer and dessert from the DDP meal when we were there with no problems. That way we could enjoy more TS meals. We were not using "child" credits for "adult" meals, just sharing. I hope that is still allowed.

That's what we were planning to do but I've since seen numerous posts indicating that Disney is changing their policy on "sharing" and requiring everyone at the table to use their credits if one person in their party is using credits. I've also read a few posts in which people wrote that they felt pressured to order more than they wanted.

I'm not intimidated by wait staff. I just would prefer not to deal with this hassle on my vacation if I don't have to. Meals are a time for us to relax after a busy time in the parks and I don't want to have to begin them by arguing with the staff. Nor are we trying to run up a higher tab just get the maximum value for our credits. We are considering the dining plan because DH does enjoy the extra courses and higher priced menu items but seldom orders them due to the cost. To the contrary I want to spend less per credit than the plan allows.

So, has anyone out there felt pressured to order items they didn't want while on the DDP?

Pressure may be an overstatement but some servers will try to persuade you to order an appetizer and dessert since it's included. Look around at the entrées being served to other tables before you say no. Some restaurants have reduced portion sizes, makes sense since guests are now ordering three course meals.

You can say no thank you. You can also order an appetizer you want to try and just eat half. You might see if there is a dessert you get packaged to go.

Of course another option is to see if DH is up to the challenge of helping you finish off the appetizers you order. :thumbsup2

I generally avoid ordering what DW does knowing that she most likely won't finish what she ordered and I get to try out another appetizer or entree or whatever. We did that last year on the dinning plan. One of the side benefits of marriage. :lmao:

THESCHULTZFIVE said:
Are you allowed to take appetizer/dessert to go?
Yes you can take anything with you that you do not finish to go. For OP, We shared many meals in Feb and we had only adult credits then and we paid for plan. I plan on doing that this time and will make them show me in writing where we cannot share if the need be. Sharing will only be on adult meals

A poster on another thread got a confirmation by e-mail from WDW stating that you are allowed to share meals on the plan as long as it's not a buffet or AYCE type situation. Yay! No more worries about too much food. (That is unless Disney decides to change things up before October!)

Remember that even a salad or bowl of soup is considered an appetizer. On the nights I didn't feel like a lot of food, I would order the salad, entree, and order something smaller or lighter for dessert. I figured that I paid for it, I might as well try a dessert even if I didn't want the whole thing. My DS7 never wanted appetizers or dessert and we didn't feel pressured to get them for him-we still definitely got our money's worth.

I know with 3 *adults* and a 2y old next year, if we arent allowed to share at PT50s and Le Cellier, we wont likely do the plan at all. And then I will be checking on the best pos rate for my room at ASMO as a FL resident, and quite pos just staying offsite. Eliminating 25-50% of the onsite eating i would do. All I want to do is order 2DDP meals, and an entree (or ap) for myself. If I am not allowed to do that, and pay OOP for my extra entree, than WDW will lose a considerable amt of the $5000 I was planning on spending on this 9 day vaca. Once I decide to stay offsite, I can easilly see me spending 4 out of those 9 days at SW and USF/IOA. I am not likely the only one who would make changes of that sort to my trip, so it doesnt seem to me that WDW would be smart to stop me from sharing, but it really isnt my decision :confused3

My children (13 & 11) will be on the plan as adults and we also would prefer sharing a couple of meals. If that doesn't happen and we have to order apps. & desserts for everyone, I'll just ask the server if there's another family nearby that isn't on the plan and see if they want the items delivered to their table instead. My family is the type that will eat whatever is put before us, whether we are full or not...I don't want us feeling miserable all week because we have been over-eating at every meal. So, maybe we can spread little Disney magic if the opportunity presents itself!

I think you need to get past the "finish everything on your plate" way of thinking. On the DDP last year, we ordered appetizers, entree and dessert. We just ate as much as we wanted. I don't think we ever completely finished a whole meal.

I remember in the 60's we were all lectured about the "starving children in China", but I don't teach my kids to eat everything on their plate...IMHO it's not a good nutritional habit.

Mary

Last year at Teppanyaki, the server was a high pressure sherbert salesman to DS! Poor kid was so full, he didn't even want to think of eating anything else. She persisted and persisted..."it's just sherbert", on and on. Finally, we did have to get a little more aggressive than what is typical of our nature and firmly tell her that he did not want a dessert.
We loved Kona cafe. We didn't want dessert there, either, though. But, the server in a very nice way suggested we get cheesecake to go and take it to our room for later. BTW, I don't think we ever did eat it. It just seems WRONG to say, but I was so sick of eating cheesecake (did I just write that?).
We still like the DP though. :thumbsup2

Figment's friends said:
I am all for sharing the magic with a family beside us. If I can't eat dessert I bet someone can! :teeth:

ITA! :thumbsup2 I hadn't thought of it as an option until I read it on this board. We left last year with several CS credits unused as well. It would have been nice to have given another family lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter