anyone ever go through rejecting an iep?

One of the best demonstrations that the previous school was not “meeting your child’s need for an appropriate education” is any positive changes or “discoveries” which have occurred in his current placement so documentation or video may be helpful.

bookwormde

Thank you again for your kind words- I am as prepared as I can be -for Monday.
We have video-IEP goals- he has met 1/2 of them already- talking more-
the school speech therapist came to a visit to Children's Hospital with me- communication enhancement center--we go every 6 mos since preschool- B now in 9th grade!
school district never interested or came to any trainings with the Dynavox guy-he already came to the new school- met with all people involved with B and on the books for 2 weeks.

I got a wpn that is dated aug 29th but it is not the one I signed that day- they want in district placement for access to typical peers and be in his own community.

they want me to sign this one with more info on it-

they finally sent me a vocational assessment form to sign- I already agreed-after finding out what tests they were going to give- new school found a lot of low tone-weakness in upper body-feeding and swallowing- perhaps this is why no speech!!!!

I felt so bad-but you can't know what you don't know

so i am going to go after compensatory services also-If my advocate agrees-
1st I want bren to stay there
transportation reimbursement and tuition, therapy, and lunch reimbursement for B. lawyer fees-- me or my DH drive him an hour away and back each day-twice a day for us.:scared1:
anything else is a bonus.

I have a blurb from a newspaper in my city interviewing the superintendant of schools- one this that upsets him is "not being able to provide educational services for all children " gotta love that!

Wish me well on Monday!

I really want someday to be able to start a fund for families like me who have had to put up some significant amounts of money for our kids to get an education! I had a lot of help from family.
and not worry about car payments, house- utilities- there has to be a different way for kids to have what they need- it is the cheapest thing for the city to have goals of opening and closing containers and looking in the mirror to make sure your lunch is off your face- how long are you going to "work" on hanging up your coat- these are all important skills but the kid may need a picture- and it clicks! verbal cues -the kid may never get it.
it may be an apraxia thing- not defiance

Hopefully you will make some progress

Keep us informed

bookwormde

mediation did not go my way- they offered to 'contribute' to his tuition this quarter, have him come to a dance next week to be with his peers, and he could start the voc program next year instead of junior year. And he could come back to the district in january-
oh i don't think so-
so my advocates politely thanked the mediator- and she said some kind words to me- keep up the fight for your child- keep your paper trail- stacks of papers and evals speak volumes at due process hearings.

So I was mush all day after that- need to regroup and meet with my lawyer- turn over video and new iep the new school made- evals from children's hospital- and see when our date will be- we need to file in the next few weeks- our 90 day window.

I still hold out hope they will concede soon- my advocates think this is going to go down to the wire.

anyone ever go through this and win? did you stay sane? :scared1:

It is never easy, It sound like you got a “middle of the road” mediator which is not uncommon.

Unfortunately it sound like the district will only give in once they realize that you are not going to give up.

Have your advocates or lawyers considered requesting an” interpretation” from the Federal DOE on one or more of the issues and violations of IDEA that you are dealing with. It takes a little time but is a cost effective dual path to the courts and to for the district to have to formally respond to your request to DOE will take some of the “guesswork” out the process and since the state DOE is informed of this there will likely get involved.

As I said it is never easy, but always worthwhile.

bookwormde

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter