Anyone buy a car seat in the US bearing Transport Canada sticker?

I'm a CPST in Canada (AKA car seat tech).

There are no seats in the US that are certified for Canada, but some Evenflo seats purchased in Canada are dual-certified for Canada and the US. In many seats that look identical, there are differences in the Canadian and US version of the seat. Some examples are additional energy-absorbing foam in the head area in some Graco seats, and the inclusion of the anti-rebound bar in Britax convertible seats. The seats require these changes to meet Canadian standards.

You can take your car seat and use it on the plane. Then there is no chance of damage from the baggage handlers. You could then use your seat in the rental car. Depending on the age of your child, the child will be safer on the plane in the car seat rather than just the lap belt, and you have the benefit of installing a car seat you are already familiar with in the rental car. The car seat would have to go under the bus for DME. I've flown with both lightweight seats (Evenflo Sureride/Titan 65) and heavier seats (Clek Fllo, Diono Radian RXT). I strap the seats to a folding luggage cart to get them through the airport and stow the cart in the overhead during the flight.

Would all carseats be automatically FAA-approved? I find DS's convertible car seat is bulky/wide. I was planning on gate checking it since I wasn't sure if it would even fit the seat in the plane.

Would all carseats be automatically FAA-approved? I find DS's convertible car seat is bulky/wide. I was planning on gate checking it since I wasn't sure if it would even fit the seat in the plane.
No - there is a special sticker on them for FAA approval. Make sure the gate staff see the sticker or they will make you check it with everyone else's strollers! I have had more than one airline attendant NEED TO SEE that sticker before we were let into the seating area...

We have a Diono Radian RXT and we just install it in DD's airplane seat and then store it in the underneath cargo area once we are on DME's motorcoaches. :)

You can find info about the width and depth of the plane's seats from the airline, then compare that to the seat. Some seats, even if they have the approval for airline use, are too wide to actually use on most normal economy seats...

Some references... check your airline website as they will likely have their own information -- also you can always call them and ask for info. Porter Airline (link below), for example, provides info about the max dimensions of allowable car seats for their planes on their website.

Transport Canada Advisory Circular: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviat...vices-referencecentre-acs-600-605-003-493.htm

Short and simple explanations of what is required to use a car seat on an airplane:

Porter Airlines website (https://www.flyporter.com/en/travel-information/children-infants/car-seats)
WestJet website ( https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-info/children/car-seats )
Transport Canada ( https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviat...-referencecentre-acs-600-605-003-493.htm#s4_0 )

Note according to the TC Advisory Circular above:

(3) Canadian-manufactured infant and child restraint systems do not require a separate label indicating certification for use in aircraft, as the successful completion of an inversion test (to simulate turbulent flight) is a requirement for both of these restraint systems.

(4) However, some Canadian child restraint systems cannot be used in aircraft as a result of designs that make them easier to install in motor vehicles. Because their designs make them incompatible with an aircraft seat, these restraint systems will contain a label limiting its use to motor vehicles. Although these restraint systems will have the National Safety Mark, they will also have a label containing the following text: “This Restraint is Certified for Use in Motor Vehicles. This Restraint is Not Certified for Use in Aircraft,” in red lettering. The following is an example of this labelling:

Figure 2 – Example of Labelling for Canadian Restraint System Not Approved for Aircraft

ac605-003_clip_image004.jpg

Also, of interest regarding why US car seats have to have the separate aircraft label, from the same TC document:

(7) In the United States, regulations require a separate statement certifying the restraint system for use in aircraft, as American manufacturers are only required to conduct an inversion test if the manufacturer wants to certify the system for aircraft use.

You can find info about the width and depth of the plane's seats from the airline, then compare that to the seat. Some seats, even if they have the approval for airline use, are too wide to actually use on most normal economy seats...

Some references... check your airline website as they will likely have their own information -- also you can always call them and ask for info. Porter Airline (link below), for example, provides info about the max dimensions of allowable car seats for their planes on their website.

Transport Canada Advisory Circular: https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviat...vices-referencecentre-acs-600-605-003-493.htm

Short and simple explanations of what is required to use a car seat on an airplane:

Porter Airlines website (https://www.flyporter.com/en/travel-information/children-infants/car-seats)
WestJet website ( https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-info/children/car-seats )
Transport Canada ( https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviat...-referencecentre-acs-600-605-003-493.htm#s4_0 )

Note according to the TC Advisory Circular above:

(3) Canadian-manufactured infant and child restraint systems do not require a separate label indicating certification for use in aircraft, as the successful completion of an inversion test (to simulate turbulent flight) is a requirement for both of these restraint systems.

(4) However, some Canadian child restraint systems cannot be used in aircraft as a result of designs that make them easier to install in motor vehicles. Because their designs make them incompatible with an aircraft seat, these restraint systems will contain a label limiting its use to motor vehicles. Although these restraint systems will have the National Safety Mark, they will also have a label containing the following text: “This Restraint is Certified for Use in Motor Vehicles. This Restraint is Not Certified for Use in Aircraft,” in red lettering. The following is an example of this labelling:

Figure 2 – Example of Labelling for Canadian Restraint System Not Approved for Aircraft

ac605-003_clip_image004.jpg

Also, of interest regarding why US car seats have to have the separate aircraft label, from the same TC document:

(7) In the United States, regulations require a separate statement certifying the restraint system for use in aircraft, as American manufacturers are only required to conduct an inversion test if the manufacturer wants to certify the system for aircraft use.

Thank you very much!

I'm kind of surprised no one has said this already. Please do NOT rent a car seat from the car rental company. They are not always in good shape and you are responsible for installing it. The rental company will not help you. A seat that you are unfamiliar with my be very difficult to install properly. Also, they tend to be absolutely filthy. If you've ever seen the rental seats the filthy part is enough to give you nightmares. I've seen many but last year at the CCC was the absolute worst. There are about 10-12 seats sitting on the floor inside the office and every single one of them looked like they had come from the dump. There was a dad trying to find one that he could use and he just kept rejecting them one after the other. Some was just because of the dirt and mystery stains and others was for things like broken parts.

So the moral of that story is...even though it's a hassle bring your own or else buy one to use while there and maybe find someone to give it to before you go home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter