Any Tips on getting a decent flight $1100 a person! Yikes

Just pulled the trigger. Glad I did because the return flight had hardly any seats and we had the last full row together. $1400 direct sea-hnl. GULP. Hoping to have a DLR Xmas next year. Those flights are much more palatable.

When are u going?

A little late but April-May and September-October are really the cheapest time to fly to Hawaii. In December of this year United is planning to add a lot more flights which should push competition to hopefully lower prices.

A little late but April-May and September-October are really the cheapest time to fly to Hawaii. In December of this year United is planning to add a lot more flights which should push competition to hopefully lower prices.

Hawaiian air has new planes and southwest supposedly joining in too. I think rates will fall we go in the summer so I'm waiting a bit

As always you can look into booking multi-stop flights, especially if you use different carriers for each of the stops. An example would be Delta to LAX and then Hawaiian Air to HNL. This might save you some money, but I'm not sure if it would save you enough to make it worthwhile.

If you do this, book a HUGE layover and buy insurance. If your first flight cancels or delays, you are SOL for your second flight if you miss it.

We paid about $790 a person coming from Texas and we booked like 2 months in advance. Use the hopper app it kinda gives you an idea on when to buy

Hopper is amazing, I LOVE that app!

December just before Xmas. Coming home on the 23rd

Yeah, that's the busiest travel week of the year, those prices won't come down.

I'm from Canada and have been watching flights for over a year now for my families trip in Nov.
I have been watching daily (all different websites/airlines)
We are flying to Honolulu from Toronto and then Maui to Toronto.
I managed to find some amazing deals and recently booked, and only paid just under $2000 total for 2 adults and 2 kids (return)
I booked one way- Toronto to Honolulu and then one way from Maui to Toronto.
I found booking now (2 months out) was our best and cheapest options, and I've been watching prices for over a year!
I'm still shocked at how cheap I got it!!!
Just takes patience and a lot of web browsing.

Good luck:)

There was some transient crazy low Vancouver deal two years ago, but it seems the Canadian posters indicate that their fares are usually higher if anything.

There was some transient crazy low Vancouver deal two years ago, but it seems the Canadian posters indicate that their fares are usually higher if anything.
I've not noticed anything out of the norm out of Vancouver. Numerous flights in the 400 range.

Outch from where? I am paying 900 total for 2 tickets, direct flight on Westjet.
Flying from YYC. Of course I selected the Westjet flights that have ONE stopover - I would prefer direct nonstop but I understand that's not feasible.

But prices are all over the place... Yesterday I checked on my Travel Alert I have set up to check YYC to MCO prices - flying to Disney would cost my family $1638!!! I am even more hesitant to check what the Hawaii flights say now...

Flying from YYC. Of course I selected the Westjet flights that have ONE stopover - I would prefer direct nonstop but I understand that's not feasible.

But prices are all over the place... Yesterday I checked on my Travel Alert I have set up to check YYC to MCO prices - flying to Disney would cost my family $1638!!! I am even more hesitant to check what the Hawaii flights say now...

We're discussing HNL not MCO in this particular thread but that being said I've not seen any great increases YVR to HNL. We're a hub for that location and it's such a common flight from here. It's just been stable.

Ironically I laughed the other day that flights YVR to MCO are coming up below $300. I've never seen that when I've looked for flights for our trips to Orlando... Murphy's Law as they say.

Flights were around 500 when we went last April, from Portland OR. Hawaii is expensive and it's hard to get around that. We did get specific credit cards for the miles and points about a year in advance of the trip to take the edge off. Husband and I both got a SPG card and for 5 nights at the royal Hawaiian for free, along with free one way trips on Alaska Air we booked with British Airways points for less miles than it would have been to go directly thru Alaska. We used our DVC points for 3 nights at Aulani so luckily we didn't have to pay to park there.

Other than the credit card bonuses there's not much getting around the high prices . Parking in many many places is 35 a night. I was surprised by that. We were discouraged from using Uber because we were told from a few different people that it isn't as popular as in the states. We ended up spending 700 in parking and car rental for our 8 night stay.

Going to Hawaii makes Disneyworld a total bargain :teeth:

Last edited:
Be flexible as much as possible. If you haven't done so already look at the flexible day calendars they have on most booking sites such as Hawaiian airlines. I saved a little more than $150 per person just by adjusting my days just a couple days leaving on a Tuesday coming back on a Monday during spring break... spring break can be expensive!! but with a couple days change it made a big difference for us.. Yes my kids might miss a day of of school but worth it to afford the trip to Aulani!

Flying from Toronto we find out flights are around $900 return per person, give or take. It's definitely a long haul from here!

Would Phoenix work to reduce cost? We can get inexpensive flights from Cleveland to Phoenix and have family there.

We already bit the bullet on our July 2018 flights. I had been watching them this year with anticipation of going next year and had plugged a few dates in the Hopper app and a few others. We were originally going to go a Sat - Sat and the price from NC with one connection in DFW with AA was running between $1200 - $1500 per person, RT. I then tried Tuesday-Monday and it dropped to $980 and that was the lowest I saw it go and the Hopper app even alerted me it was a great price and likely to only go up. Doing the Tuesday - Monday saved us easily $1000 so I just got it over with and booked it, lol

I also think it's NUTS to pay that but agree with others, Hawaii is an expensive flight and conserving the distance from the East Coast I can somewhat get it. I had considered breaking up the flights and doing SWA to CA but that was starting to add too much time and risk and I didn't want to do that this go around.

Now the trick is to NOT check prices for our flights, ha ha. :)

Good luck everyone,
Heather

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!