Any recommendations for travel insurance for a trip to Japan?

kuzco-like

Earning my ears
Wise and well-traveled Canadians, can any of you recommend an online travel insurance company for an upcoming trip to Japan (yay, Tokyo Disneyland Resort)? Perhaps I'm looking for something that doesn't exist, but I'm hoping for a Canadian company. Dreams/Kevin K recommend a US company (I think), and with that comes restrictions for Canadian travelers (I think). For example, the choice of coverages are restricted. More specifically, I'm looking for the "cancellation for any reason" coverage, which isn't available to me, and when I consult the FAQs on the company's website, it recommends the "cancellation for any reason" coverage for my specific situation. Any suggestions? TIA

I use Pacific Blue Cross Travel Medical. I also have Extended Medical plan with then thru work. CAA is also good. I think they use TuGo. I get my trip interruption insurance with BCAA.

If you have extended Medical plan thru work it's important to make sure your travel Medical is first payer. This means if you have a claim they pay and won't bill your Extended plan to recoup costs. Blue Cross Travel Medical doesn't touch your Extended Benefits, and I believe TuGo doesn't either for the first 50,000.
Most Extended Benefits have a lifetime max. If you are seriously ill abroad you could have your Extended plan wiped out. I don't even know why one would pay for some of these insurances since they will bill MSP, then go after your Extended, and IF there's anything left to pay they pick it up.
If you don't have Extended it's a moot point!

I usually have used Manulife in the past. But I have just taken out a year-long insurance from Sunlife's preferred partner through my workplace insurance.

I'm a travel agent and the provider we use offers cancel for any reason ONLY if purchased within 72 hours of booking your trip.

If you already booked your trip a while ago you would be hard pressed to find a cancel for any reason plan.

Check out this video to see if "first payer" principle is a concern....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/buy...ess-coverage-a-couple-s-hard-lesson-1.3495864
Thanks, xlxo. I hadn't heard of that. It's very valuable information.
I use Pacific Blue Cross Travel Medical. I also have Extended Medical plan with then thru work. CAA is also good. I think they use TuGo. I get my trip interruption insurance with BCAA.

If you have extended Medical plan thru work it's important to make sure your travel Medical is first payer. This means if you have a claim they pay and won't bill your Extended plan to recoup costs. Blue Cross Travel Medical doesn't touch your Extended Benefits, and I believe TuGo doesn't either for the first 50,000.
Most Extended Benefits have a lifetime max. If you are seriously ill abroad you could have your Extended plan wiped out. I don't even know why one would pay for some of these insurances since they will bill MSP, then go after your Extended, and IF there's anything left to pay they pick it up.
If you don't have Extended it's a moot point!

Sue M...great explanation. Thanks.

I'm a travel agent and the provider we use offers cancel for any reason ONLY if purchased within 72 hours of booking your trip.

If you already booked your trip a while ago you would be hard pressed to find a cancel for any reason plan.
Princess Stitch...yeah, it sounds like I won't be able to get the cancel for any reason insurance. Paid for the trip some weeks ago. Lesson learned and fingers crossed.

Did you pay by credit card? Some credit cards offer coverage.
You know...I've heard people say that before, and I've never checked into it. I should. I did use a credit card. Again, great info. Thanks!

Princess Stitch...yeah, it sounds like I won't be able to get the cancel for any reason insurance. Paid for the trip some weeks ago. Lesson learned and fingers crossed.
Check out ToGo. You may be able to get cancelation from them. I could have gotten the package Cancelation/interruption. But all I wanted is the interruption part as it's hurricane season.

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. I checked out my credit card, and there's a good chance that I'm covered through that. I'm going to phone CIBC to follow up. Good job, team! :thanks:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts