• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Any one ever camp at Tropical Palms?

loriandmatt

DIS Veteran
OK - so i know it's not FW. We love FW, but Disney rarely offers discounts (AP rates or other discount rates) during spring break.

We are planning a trip for next March. (very early march) It will be Peak rate season for FW campsites. Rack rate is $60/night. Campsites at Tropical Palms for the same time are $24/night.

Any one have any feed back on Tropical Palms?

- lori

I work with someone who loves camping at Tropical Palms. They go there all of the time. It's within walking distance of Old Town shopping. So, the last time we were at Fort Wilderness we decided to drive through Tropical Palms to see for ourselves. We didn't care for it. It reminded me of a large parking lot. It has little or no vegetation between the camp sites. It would be an inexpensive place to stay while visiting the area attractions, but if I were going for a true camping experience with lots of stuff to do, I would spend the extra $$$ and stay at Fort Wilderness.

Hi loriandmatt,

We stayed at TP for spring break in 1999
and wound up having a great time. The
biggest problem I had with TP were the
advertisements and the website pictures
that are available. Those campsites in the
pictures are not the ones you get for the
$ 24.00. Maybe I was naive but when we
got there to check in they carried us in a
golf cart to select our campsite. We went
to what seemed like an open field with
hookups. We were not at the site very
much, except to sleep, so everything
worked out fine but don't think the super
sites are the one's for the good price.
The pool is great and you can't beat the
location(except with FW). Our trip turned
out great and we would stay there again
but I would at least know the differce know.
Good luck

We have also stayed at TP very nice sites and great people. One nice thing about TP is they let you see the sites available and choose your site before you take your rig into the campgrounds. Most if not all are pull-thru's. If you have a big rig ask for a super site. Only problem is the travel to and from Disney. If you have a motor-head in your family and will be there on a Sat. night check out old towns hot rod car show. It's right in front of TP Have a great trip.

Supercrewzer

We were there in April. We arrived a day early and FW was full, having heard about TP though this board we bunked there for the night. It is not FW but it was ok. I would stay there again as an alternitive, 25$ to FW 75$ is certainly something to concider.
Good Luck

I've stayed there before, and WILL stay there again next week, actually this coming wednesday for 4 nights...Although we PREFER ft. wilderness (who doesn't)...when I can't get anything below 45/nght, I will definately stay at tropical palms...
-
It's also not a bad ride to the disney parks, it's like a 5 minute ride
-
I don't think you want the 24/nt sites, it's out in a grassy field and you're right next to others with practically no buffer room...
-
We always get a site that's paved, with a grassy patio area...it's about 27-29 bucks....
-
they have a nice pool, and a kiddie pool BUT the cable tv leaves a little to be desired...

thanks for all the great input on TP.

We are not set on staying there but are seriously considering it. We will be doing lots of other things besides WDW on that trip,(Daytona Supercross, Kennedy Space Center, maybe SeaWorld and or Universal....) so it won't "pain" me so much to not be at the Fort.

VERY IMPORTANT ISSUE THOUGH.....
What are the rest rooms/showers like at TP?

- lori

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter