Any issues using Skyauction?

Kids for Disney

Earning My Ears
We are thinking of getting a stay through Skyauction, but I have read some terrible reviews on line (maybe I should not have done this!). What are your experiences?

Have used them many times, for stays at Bonnet Creek and Sheraton Vistana Resort. NEVER a problem!

Always read everything first; understanding Auction or Buy it Now. Read all the way through to the bottom of pages to see if there are surcharges for your dates, if there is a per night fee (for hotels) to add, if there is a big booking fee (sometimes it is $200) and there should always be the SA fee of about $20. Since I started using them they added the option to buy insurance because once you buy - you buy, I did get it once due to an illness in the family, but didn't use it.

We use them all the time so we have learned how to handle the problems that do happen on occasion. We only use them to book lodging.

Here Is my experience:
1. Inventory changes all the time so there is a slight chance that wherever you book no longer has availability by the time the auction is won and they contact the resort to confirm. Sometimes they offer a substitute and sometimes they just refund your money.
2. They don’t send the resort the reservation info until the day of arrival, so many times my reservation is not in their system. Do not panic. Produce your reservation certificate and tell them to check the list printed the day of the check in for your name. Sometimes I am not on that list either because it was printed before Skyauction forwarded my details. I just keep asking the resort to print an updated list. Skyauction has always forwarded my details and the problem is with the resort. I am nice and persistent with the check in person and eventually they find my reservation.
3. Make sure to read the details of the auction carefully so you understand what you are getting into. Realize that unless you buy their cancellation insurance, you cannot get a refund.
4. Don’t count on ever reaching them by phone. They are closed evenings and weekends and cannot resolve an issue.
5. Email responses can take days, which is nerve racking if there is an issue.
6. Read resort reviews and be careful where you book. Resorts only list with Skyauction if they think they can’t book the units at full price. In other words, they usually are not the best resorts that are in high demand.
7. You will be treated as an RCI exchanger as if you own at a different resort. The resorts are willing to sell their unsold inventory cheap in hopes people like it and decide to buy. I never tell other people how little I pay, especially owners. If owners find out how little others pay, they could complain and the resort may not offer deals in the future.

I love using Skyauction for lodging, but there is a learning curve and I am always a bit worried something will go wrong. The deals can be so great that it is worth it to me, but it is not for everyone.

Thank you hopperfan and bearzbout! That is exactly what I wanted to know!

I wanted to use Skyauction to rent Sheraton Vistina, they have awesome prices! I don’t know if I can wait until the day of arrival to see if they have my reservation!
Thanks again!

I always get 2 weeks at Windham Cypress Palms thru Skyautcion. Never had a problem (except last year when they had to put us in a different resort for the first week because of construction.) Just a pain in the butt to move in the middle of our stay. I always call a week ahead to request a ground floor. They always seem to have my reservation by then. Never had to wait until day of.

Thank you hopperfan and bearzbout! That is exactly what I wanted to know!

I wanted to use Skyauction to rent Sheraton Vistina, they have awesome prices! I don’t know if I can wait until the day of arrival to see if they have my reservation!
Thanks again!

I have never had any issues with a missing reservation. I have immediately gotten paperwork and then follow up emails closer to the trip.

First time at each I didn't have any idea about requests, and took what they gave me. At Bonnet Creek I liked the building so much I requested it in my "special requests" for the rest of my trips and always gotten it. After my first stay at Vistana was in a great unit decor wise, great location to pool/amenities I liked I then used their request form I read about here to request the same section (and made sure to book days that have checkin in that section). I have always gotten it there as well.

Thank you Bonnie A and Hopper Fan. I have rented from eBay several times and have not had a problem. I just don’t want to not have a place to stay.

Hopper fan- I have stayed at bonnet creek several times. We love it there but I cannot find it for a decent price for when we want to go. How did you like Sheraton compared to Bonnet creek?

Question, are the terrible reviews about SkyAuction itself, or about the units or resorts that were booked?

SkyAuction primarily just wholesales "leftover" vacation interests (timeshares primarily) from various resorts. There are a lot of things that can go wrong when you start adding parties to the rental chain. A lot of SA's listings are leftovers from RCI and II, so you are now 2 parties removed from the resort. You -> SA -> RCI/II -> Resort system. However, for the killer pricing, it is probably worth a little risk, and your experience will probably be much better when dealing with a larger upscale branded resort than with some of the smaller indie resorts.

If I didn't already own more timeshare interests than I can use, I would probably be all over SkyAuction for my bookings.

Hopper fan- I have stayed at bonnet creek several times. We love it there but I cannot find it for a decent price for when we want to go. How did you like Sheraton compared to Bonnet creek?[/QUOTE]
I have also stayed at both bonnet creek and Sheraton Visitana and they both have pros and cons. Vistana pros you can park in front of your unit, have tons of dining options very close by and very easy access to world drive. Cons some units don’t have elevators so 3rd floor with tons of luggage and a couple of small kids can be a pain and no lazy rivers. Bonnet Creek pros you can walk the entire grounds, love the lazy rivers but they can get over crowded at times. All units have elevators. Cons parking can be a pain. Not as close to offsite dining options.

Thank you for all your reviews and help! I ended up finding my exact dates at Bonnet creek this morning on eBay!

The one bad reviews was when a guy won a cruise. He got to the cruise ship and they said they did not have his reservation when he had all his paperwork from Skyauction. He was not able to get on the ship. That would be horrible.

Thank you Bonnie A and Hopper Fan. I have rented from eBay several times and have not had a problem. I just don’t want to not have a place to stay.

Hopper fan- I have stayed at bonnet creek several times. We love it there but I cannot find it for a decent price for when we want to go. How did you like Sheraton compared to Bonnet creek?

I've done both several times each. I think they are very different types of resorts but what you get in your unit is similar.

WBC -
I like the high rise, I like the security and upscale feel to that, I like the big balconies and views (always had lake view). I like it is fully and easily walkable although we tend to stay to one half of it. I like the bars along the lake, and some nights being able to hear the live music from the balcony. I love feeling like I am on property and the easy drive to the parks and DS (for lots of eats). But you have been so you know.

SVR -
I have only stayed in Fountains, after first time I requested after that. The renovations there were beautifully done and feel like the units are larger than WBC. Was great to park at door and no angling for carts, but when we got a top floor it was a pain to haul up and down. They have screen porches facing little ponds but I didn't like the door from there to a public stairway. One day we had a security issue so it worried me from then out. We rarely used the porch. I don't like the way it feels like a giant apartment complex and you can get units by I-4 or DCP housing or the 535. But we thought our pool area was very nice, with dining right there and a nice end to our day. The complex is huge. We drove all over but never felt like making the effort to try another pool. We have no issue negotiating offsite and enjoy being close to other dining, DS and the outlets so the location is fine for us and still fast to parks.

I wouldn't hesitate to book SVR again, I really liked the inside of our units. I couldn't beat the price for what we got. It's just a different concept than WBC as a resort.

Question, are the terrible reviews about SkyAuction itself, or about the units or resorts that were booked?

SkyAuction primarily just wholesales "leftover" vacation interests (timeshares primarily) from various resorts. There are a lot of things that can go wrong when you start adding parties to the rental chain. A lot of SA's listings are leftovers from RCI and II, so you are now 2 parties removed from the resort. You -> SA -> RCI/II -> Resort system. However, for the killer pricing, it is probably worth a little risk, and your experience will probably be much better when dealing with a larger upscale branded resort than with some of the smaller indie resorts.

If I didn't already own more timeshare interests than I can use, I would probably be all over SkyAuction for my bookings.

Yes, I'm pretty particular which ones I would take. I do lots of research on a place before I book it. They offer many for REALLY CHEAP, like $1 is possible with the couple hundred dollar fee (I got that once for WBC) but you get what you pay for sometimes. I also look when they have the special certificates for one week .... availability is never where, when I want to stay, go.

I'm looking at this for November 10-17. Am I reading it correctly that it would be $375 plus just $20 processing fee for the week? Thanks in advance!

http://www.skyauction.com/action/offer/2943076
I'm looking at this for November 10-17. Am I reading it correctly that it would be $375 plus just $20 processing fee for the week? Thanks in advance!

yes you are correct. I do think they have a nightly resort fee around 10.00 per night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!