Any ECV users go solo?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
If so, how smoothly (or not) did it go? I used to go solo regularly before the need for an ECV. Since I started needing an ECV regularly at WDW. I've been kind of afraid to go solo, and I'm really not sure why. But it seems that the biggest problem I might have is getting from the airplane landing gate to DME and back. Around the resort, it's just fear of the unknown, since I haven't been solo with an ECV. Any experiences?

I made a couple of solo trips with an ECV several years ago, but I was far more mobile than I am now. I could walk 2-3 blocks then, vs now when it's 2-3 steps. So getting around the airport was not a problem.

I have traveled (for business) with a cast on one foot. I used a skycap with a wheelchair to get to and from the gate.

I've had no problems getting around the resort or parks solo. My DH isn't as into the parks as I am so I spend a fair amount of time solo on the buses and in the parks with my ECV. It's not been a problem at all.

I have made several trips as a solo using an ECV and now with my power chair. The hardest part is the resort room door. (Unless you are staying at a deluxe resort where a few rooms have automatic doors :love: }. The room doors are doable but there was a learning curve. Others have suggested bringing a small rubber door stop that you put in place once you get the door open.

The buses are easy to use and when I am alone I do not have to feel guilty about the rest of my party getting to board from the back.

For table service restaurants a cast member will tell you where to park if you want to walk to the table or lead the way if you need to stay on it. Also, eating in the quick service restaurants was not a problem. You look for the ordering line that has the handicapped symbol or just ask a cast member for which one to use. There is always one that is wider or better suited for being seated. Also an cast member will usually ask if you would like your tray carried. I used to say no because I am very independent then one cast member told me that he really liked to help with the tray because it got him out from behind the counter, he met nice people and it makes him look good to the supervisor. Now I always say yes. On a side note, often another guest will offer to help or ask if one of their older children can help. I always say yes to that and thank them when it is done. I really like a parent that is proactively trying to install good manners.

In the parks, most doorways are open and where there is a door to be opened 95% of the time someone comes running up to open it for me. This has been hard for me to get used to because I am fully capable of opening an door while remaining seated. However, I have become accustomed to letting people help because I think it releases good vibes into a world that desperately needs them.

If you have specific questions, just post. Somebody will probably know the answer.

I've had no problems getting around the resort or parks solo. My DH isn't as into the parks as I am so I spend a fair amount of time solo on the buses and in the parks with my ECV. It's not been a problem at all.

Come to think of it, my DH isn't a big park-goer either, and I've been in parks solo, just me and my ECV. So I guess the issues I'm worried about are the same ones I could have encountered already (like what if someone moves my ECV and that resort door issue). Now a solo trip sounds lots more "do-able". Thanks!

I bought a 2 pack of rubber door stoppers on Amazon for my upcoming trip. I don't remember how much, but reasonable. I want to be as independent as I can be

You can go on the monorail. If there are people in the accessible car the CM is supposed to ask them to vacate the car so that the ecv or wheelchair can enter. This does not always happen though. When it does it happen it can go either way: people apologizing because they didn't know it was an accessible car or making rude comments and not leaving. I've encountered both. Just ignore the "bad" people. Mostly you will find it is families with strollers. If there's only one, I can usually direct those people on how to manuever so we can all fit (if they were nice to begin with :) )

I love going solo. It's the time for me to do what I want (shows and such). Especially EPCOT. With the way the countries schedule their shows/activities it takes 2 - 3 days to see them all. Then, taking the time to see the "streetsmosphere" shows (Dapper Dans, Jamminators, etc.). This is so much more enjoyable then feeling like I have to "wait out" while others ride rides or that they aren't enjoying what I like.

As the other poster indicated, a large majority of people offer to help with trays, doors, etc. I once had a man ask if he could help me lift my ecv pieces into my trunk. If a kid, teenager, etc. opens the door for me I make sure to catch the parents (if possible) and let them know how nice and well mannered their kid is. As a parent and grandparent, I like to know that the lessons I try to instill in them are being used. I also do this at home whenever a child does something nice (I don't use an ecv at home). Once, at a pizza place that has one of those freestyle machines, a young boy, indicated I should go ahead of him since "I was the adult". I was floored and when I stopped by their table the mother had an "oh no what did he do" look but was pleasantly surprised when I mentioned what a nice boy she was raising.

Anyway--cutting to the chase. Go solo. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
I saw a rubber door stop for 1.62 on amazon I well get that for dh but are bus drivers good about helping those in a ecv board the bus this way he does not have to rope drop with me and go back for a break he loves his naps

I saw a rubber door stop for 1.62 on amazon I well get that for dh but are bus drivers good about helping those in a ecv board the bus this way he does not have to rope drop with me and go back for a break he loves his naps

The bus drivers are, generally speaking, AWESOME. All your DH has to do is give them a friendly smile, and ask for their help, and they will gladly help him get parked safely on the bus, and help him get turned around and drive safely off the bus. No problems!

Seriously, WDW transportation CMs are the best.

I went in April on a ECV solo trip. I really enjoyed it. I definitely recommend the door stop for your resort room. I stayed in a room at AKL that had a Queen and bunk beds. I had requested a King room, but there are only a handful at that resort. The room was on the main level so that was nice. It was a little difficult to maneuver the chair into the room because there really wasn't much space. By the end of the trip, I had figured it out. I'd back the chair up to the door, get off the chair, open the door, put down the door stop, then back the chair into the room while standing in front of it, get through the door, cut it hard to the right and park it in front of the sink. The room had a double vanity, so I still had access. Then in the morning, just had to use the doorstop and out we go! I kept the door stop in the room.

The bus drivers were fantastic! I never really felt like I was a burden to them. Some of the passengers were a bit troublesome. I was getting off and this couple wasn't until a later stop. They were sitting where I would need to move the scooter in order to get off correctly. They never moved their feet. We were the only people on the bus. I basically said if they wanted to keep their feet from looking like Donald's they might want to shift down.

I'm planning another trip for next year and may end up going solo again. This time, I'm paying more attention to how rooms are laid out when selecting my resort. YouTube has oodles of video reviews of rooms. I've been watching those to see which ones may be better for parking my ECV for the night. I also saw on another post that if you ask the front desk they may be able to remove a table or chair to make more room if needed. Just make sure you ask at the actual desk. If you call, you get a centralized call center.

If you have any other questions about solo ECV, feel free to send me a personal message.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Looks like I'm going solo, not out of choice, tomorrow. DH and I had a trip to the F&W planned, driving to BCV. Due to a family illness over the weekend, I'll be going alone and hopefully DH can join me a few days later. One of the first things I did was run to Lowe's to buy the rubber door stopper. If I get any other tips from first hand necessity, I'll let everyone know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter